Apple, AT&T sued for over-saturating 3G network with iPhones

135

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    What is "over"saturating?



    I was driving by a cell tower and digital bits were spilling out of it, all over the ground and onto the road. Do you have any idea how hard it is to clean bits off your windshield? The zeros are especially sticky.
  • Reply 42 of 97
    ..and now the North East has no data. Edge or 3G. Seems like they might onto something.



    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...ave-a-problem/
  • Reply 43 of 97
    You are only allowed to return the phone after 30 days. The service gradually declined as people bought more iPhones, so the people that had bought the first ones weren't aware of the problem.



    THINK! {Personal Attack Deleted}



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ohmaha View Post


    No one "forces" you to do anything when it comes to cellphones. You can return it if you are unhappy with your service. Why do so many people act like spoiled brats when it comes to things like this? If your an adult act like one and be responsible for yourself and don't just sit there and whine! I guess you want the Government or someone else to come make it all better? Maybe kiss your bobo?



  • Reply 44 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusstar View Post


    Here's to your argument :



    Microsoft is paying $750M to settle the lawsuit in the EU because it was bundling the OS with IE. Doesn't this sound similar? I like the iPhone but I don't like AT&T Service. 3G Service should be guaranteed if you are charging a premium of $10 per month. How about Verizon selling the FiOS service for a premium but without a guarantee for the speed?



    Except that MicroSoft was trying to put ALL other browsers out of business by abusing it's size and influence to squash them.

    "Hey there Dell, if you want a good price on OEM versions of Windows, don't install Netscape on there -OK?"
  • Reply 45 of 97
    Quote:

    Gillis adds that none of Apple's packaging warns buyers of the current iPhone that its performance might not match customers' expectations



    What a knob!!



    I have read a lot of pending lawsuits against Apple on this forum so a question for you guys in the US if may. Does it cost this chap money to take Apple & AT&T to court over this or can he get legal aid to pursue his complaint??



    In other words is the US the land of no win no fee??
  • Reply 46 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    Don't you know? Economics is no longer the law of the land. Welcome to socialism....



    apparently basic political science is also not a requirement for an education in the states... it's all down to 'talking points', eh?



  • Reply 47 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusstar View Post


    Would you pay me $10 per month for using AppleInsider? If not, just get the hell out of here.



    Perhaps you should take your own advice?
  • Reply 48 of 97
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I guess when you don't have a job in this Economy the best thing to do is just sit all day and write 18 page complaint.





  • Reply 49 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    A San Diego-based lawsuit filed late last week alleges that Apple and its carrier partner AT&T have knowingly oversold iPhone 3G, promising fast speeds only to see a glut of customers bog down the network with devices that themselves are flawed.



    The 18-page complaint from customer William Gillis primarily relies on Internet reports of problems as the foundation of its argument and asserts that leaked information contradicts public statements by either of the defendant companies regarding 3G network performance.



    Gillis particularly criticizes AT&T. Although company new media representative Brad Mays has gone on record as saying the iPhone 3G has been "performing great" on its 3G network, the plaintiff counters by pointing to claims that the handset has required too much power. In tandem with the "high volume" of iPhones sold, the sheer signal demand has bombarded AT&T and in many cases kicks users down to the EDGE-based 2G network even when 3G coverage is guaranteed, according to the lawsuit.



    Apple and AT&T also misled customers about the practical speed of EDGE with the first iPhone, Gillis also claims, though here he points to ads exaggerating the speed rather than technical issues.



    And while Apple chief Steve Jobs is believed to have sent a direct e-mail to one iPhone 3G user confirming a bug fix for the software end of the problem sometime in September, Gillis adds that none of Apple's packaging warns buyers of the current iPhone that its performance might not match customers' expectations.



    A disclaimer "points out to them to ask questions, to futher investigate, or [for companies] to simply disclose complete and accurate information about the product," the lawsuit reads. "This is especially true in the case of the speed and performance of an expensive [device]; an important feature in any electronics device purchase."



    Since many customers are potentially affected by the alleged flaws in AT&T's network and its interaction with Apple's phone, Gillis is seeking class action status so that every AT&T subscriber in California plagued by slow or intermittent performance -- which could measure into the "thousands" -- can earn compensation if they've suffered through a sub-par 3G experience.



    The complaint would have Apple and AT&T pay this restitution as well as punitive damages. Both firms would also be stopped from pursuing the same marketing and public relations tactics that triggered the filing, which demands a jury trial.



    Neither Apple nor AT&T has publicly commented on the lawsuit, which is the second lawsuit in as many weeks concerning the same performance hiccups.



    Just spoke with AT&T Support. 3g/2g data is 'completely down' for iPhone...somewhat poetic in light of this legal development.



    Dig my new iPhone but would like to get stuff like email and an occasional Vicinity search at least once a day. Frustrating.



    Happy to be on Apple Insider!
  • Reply 50 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by papiti View Post


    Yeah, and by the way, if you call AT&T and Apple they would have probably canceled your contract, and Apple would have certainly refunded for your phone.





    if you did it in the first 30 days, they would do it without a flinch. perhaps just a heads up about losing your phone number if it is still on the iphone.



    after the 30 days, ATT might have stuck you with the ETF (which is still legal for the moment), but Apple would probably have waived the restock fee, especially if it was just over the 30 days, just to keep you from having a hissy in the middle of a crowded store.
  • Reply 51 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post


    No it's not the same you morons because you're not paying a monthly fee to use the road.



    AT&T forces users to pay an extra $10 a month to use the 3G service which I'm not able to access 90% of the time.





    so you go after ATT for overpricing issues. but to go after Apple without solid proof that the cause is the phone (and not just ATT's network) is a bit much.
  • Reply 52 of 97
    AT&T will ask that this lawsuit be dismissed on national security grounds, just out of reflex, after all the wiretapping lawsuits.
  • Reply 53 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ohmaha View Post


    No one "forces" you to do anything when it comes to cellphones. You can return it if you are unhappy with your service. Why do so many people act like spoiled brats when it comes to things like this?





    you'll love this.



    I was in a local Apple store and saw a young sales person (a girl as it was) about to ring up a "gentleman" for an iphone. he is going on and on ranting and raving about ATT. bad service, bad network, too expensive, nickel and diming their customers. clearly he hated ATT (there was some mentions of Verizon so I'm guessing that was his current service)



    this girl smiles at him and without a hint of anything negative in her voice says something along the lines of "here at Apple we always want our customers to be happy with a purchase and would never force or even encourage someone to buy something that would result in an unpleasant experience. So my advice to you sir is to not buy the iphone. It requires service with ATT, which you do not want to have and from your comments feel will not be satisfactory to you. Come back in a couple of years when ATT is not longer the only carrier for the phone and perhaps Verizon will be one of the carriers and then you can get exactly what you want."



    so basically she's telling him to piss off. And he did. he shrugged and walked out, without getting mad at her. I guess the Elle Woods grin on her face was the trick. it was amazing.
  • Reply 54 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    Don't you know? Economics is no longer the law of the land. Welcome to socialism.... Lawsuits and politics make sure there is a chicken in every pot, forget about supply and demand.



    Do you call it socialism when corporations sue each other for *gasp* restitution? I gotta say, it's amazing how many on this board is just plain dishonest or dumb.
  • Reply 55 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    I was in a local Apple store and saw a young sales person (a girl as it was)...



    Good answer! How old was she?
  • Reply 56 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacNProud View Post


    Just spoke with AT&T Support. 3g/2g data is 'completely down' for iPhone.



    How and why is only down for the iPhone in your area. It's hunky dory in my area.
  • Reply 57 of 97
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusstar View Post


    Here's to your argument :



    Microsoft is paying $750M to settle the lawsuit in the EU because it was bundling the OS with IE. Doesn't this sound similar? I like the iPhone but I don't like AT&T Service. 3G Service should be guaranteed if you are charging a premium of $10 per month. How about Verizon selling the FiOS service for a premium but without a guarantee for the speed?



    It doesn't matter if it's similar. EU law and court decisions have 0 bearing on US law and court decisions.
  • Reply 58 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post


    It really dilutes your argument when you have to include a personal attack.



    Only if you get emotional. If you read the entirety of his argument logically, then it's just as effective. Thus the problem becomes yours, not his. And I found his argument compelling--if you pay for a service and it does not act as advertised, then the seller should be held accountable.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameskatt2


    There needs to be a law which gives the death penalty for lawyers who file frivolous lawsuits like this. This is suing for suing's sake.



    It's very comforting to know that someone should die because your opinion differs from theirs. Go on any crusades lately?
  • Reply 59 of 97
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    [QUOTE=bdkennedy1;1301938]You are only allowed to return the phone after 30 days. The service gradually declined as people bought more iPhones, so the people that had bought the first ones weren't aware of the problem.







    Following up your valid point with a childish playground personal attack is a great way to completely negate your valid point. No one takes you seriously if you post like a 4-year-old sailor.
  • Reply 60 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    How and why is only down for the iPhone in your area. It's hunky dory in my area.



    It's not just his area. AT&T data networks in the entire NorthEast U.S. were down for at least 4 hours today: http://www.tuaw.com/2008/09/03/phone...oure-not-alone
Sign In or Register to comment.