Road to Mac OS X Snow Leopard: the future of 64-bit apps

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What the hell are you talking about? I ran WINNT 4.x and OSF/1 UNIX on DEC Alpha. The design still kicks ass.

The passive backplane and the 256bit memory bus on that motherboard was so far ahead of it's time that we're still catching up to it.

Hell, Nehalem's memory bus width is 64 bit or 8 bytes. Too bad they aren't at 256 bits or 32 bytes.

ANSYS and other Finite Element Analysis Programs loved it.

So what? In the '80's I did some graphics programming on a VAX.

What does any of that have to do with what we're talking about? Nothing.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    It's 2008 and I still use a VMS computer. I win!
  • Reply 43 of 44
    Have really enjoyed this website and the forums... my first post so here goes.

simply a perspective from a prospective buyer....

I'm currently running an ibook G4 which is 6 (yes 6) years old... the old warhorse has never crashed on me and is rock solid. I still use it for raw file conversion and just about everything else. Come the move into a new house early this year I'm in the market for an imac. Having done the online research it looks as if I'm going to have to wait for... the new imac line, snow leopard and an 64 bit update to Aperture....

Any chance I'll be able to purchase the lot by summer 2009? Some hope.....
  • Reply 44 of 44
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digginjim View Post

Have really enjoyed this website and the forums... my first post so here goes.

simply a perspective from a prospective buyer....

I'm currently running an ibook G4 which is 6 (yes 6) years old... the old warhorse has never crashed on me and is rock solid. I still use it for raw file conversion and just about everything else. Come the move into a new house early this year I'm in the market for an imac. Having done the online research it looks as if I'm going to have to wait for... the new imac line, snow leopard and an 64 bit update to Aperture....

Any chance I'll be able to purchase the lot by summer 2009? Some hope.....

Welcome to AI.

I think the new iMacs will be a given soon and SL will be here by summer is my guess but I don't know if the next version of Aperture will be 64-bit or not. I'm hoping so...I think Apple will likely lead the charge into 64-bit land with their next Pro App refresh (Final Cut, Logic, Aperture etc)