Apple TV 3: Could it be revolutionary?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

1. copy protection is far too restrictive. It is loosening up on the DVD side with digital copies, but its still a major problem. When you buy an album from iTunes you have the option of buring a CD with that music. If you buy a CD from the store, itunes can import as mp3 or ACC files. In other words which ever one you buy you have the option to both a physical and digital copy and have pretty much your choice of devices.

With movies, unless you get a DVD with a digital copy, you get your movie in the format you bought it in and that's that. Without a program like handbrake, you cannot import your DVD library to your computer/ AppleTV. With a iTunes movie you are limited to your Mac, iPod or AppleTV. Apple should be working an agreement that allows iTunes to import DVDs (with DRM protection) and also allows your itunes movies to be burned to DVD 3-5 times.

This is a huge issue for me. I know I'm not downloading another video/movie from iTunes unless and until I have at least the freedom to burn that file to a DVD the same way I can make CDs from iTunes music.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

This is a huge issue for me. I know I'm not downloading another video/movie from iTunes unless and until I have at least the freedom to burn that file to a DVD the same way I can make CDs from iTunes music.

I'm not young but I don't see any use for hard medium. I rent movies all the time from AppleTV. And like any movie (or TV show), once I've watched it I have no use for watching it ever again. Boring. So rent and watch once is fine, I don't need artifacts.

(political burning bag of poo, ignite now) - And for those parents that buy DVDs for their kids and let them watch them over and over and over, shame on you. Get them some legos or paint.