Last minute: iPod nano with sensor, iPod touch, iPod classic, iPod shuffle

245678

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 144
    Well since the one thing that seems a given is that the new nano screen will be taller than it is wide, it pretty much has to have a motion sensor so that when you turn the then on its side the video will also rotate to allow you to watch in wide screen - just like the touch.



    I seriously dobut it will do anything other than that at all. Maybe as pointed out it will reorient the click wheel too but unless the click wheel now has some sort of back light set of icons (OLED anyone - okay sorry now I'm doing it) I'm not sure how well that is going to work.



    Shaking it to activate shuffle? Blah - dumb considering that many people use nanos for working out.



    Oh - how about this - an Etch-a-sketch function. Shake the iPod and it erases your library - oh wait my gen two had that - it was called a hard drive......
  • Reply 22 of 144
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UnseenLlama View Post


    I was hoping the new nanos would have the Nike+ sensor built in. That way you don't have to worry about connecting the receiver and just by the transmitter. We shall see.



    Bad idea, these sensors die off. Not just the ones that go in the shoe, but the ones that connect to the iPod as well. I've gone through 3 of them. 2 were shoe sensors, 1 was the receiver.
  • Reply 23 of 144
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,080member
    Null.
  • Reply 24 of 144
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,457member
    Maybe Apple have a Wi-Tricity system to unveil ... If not this year, one year soon. I predict all Apple Macs will lose the mag latch and all iPhones, iPods and MacTablets will have a built in wi-tricity receiver to pick up a charge from the new Apple multi-purpose base station.
  • Reply 25 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bboybazza View Post


    as an epileptic i feel insulted



    If you adjust your meds, the feeling should pass.

    That usually works for me.....
  • Reply 26 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bboybazza View Post


    as an epileptic i feel insulted



    Why do you feel insulted? And why do you think epileptic fits are the only kind of seizure? Also, does having a disease entitle you to complain when other make any sort of possible reference to it?



    Really, get over yourself.
  • Reply 27 of 144
    For the Touch: GPS, 3G, speaker... everything but the phone...



    Nano: sensor for orientation, shake sensor (3x rapidly to differentiate from jogging) for various functions depending on what your doing, including games, skip to next playlist, etc.



    MacBook/Pro: GPS, 3G



  • Reply 28 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post


    If you adjust your meds, the feeling should pass.

    That usually works for me.....



    Try Zyprexa.
  • Reply 29 of 144
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post


    Shuffles when you shake? Sorry, AI, but I'm calling your bluff on this one. If you're jogging without the hold button on, you'll shuffle your songs whether you want to or not.



    It will contain a sensor to detect what direction the iPod is being held - naturally - for watching movies in landscape orientation.



    Shuffles when you shake, get real...



    -Clive



    Completely agree. It is conceivable that this function could be set so that you don't kick it into shuffle by accident while exercising (high threshold), but what's the point? If you want to shuffle songs, you need only press the center button three times and scroll. There is no ambiguity in that motion. Shake-to-shuffle sounds interesting, but it doesn't make life easier.
  • Reply 30 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post


    For the Touch: GPS, 3G, speaker... everything but the phone...



    Nano: sensor for orientation, shake sensor (3x rapidly to differentiate from jogging) for various functions depending on what your doing, including games, skip to next playlist, etc.



    MacBook/Pro: GPS, 3G







    3G touch... without the phone? Nice.
  • Reply 31 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post


    3G touch... without the phone? Nice.



    I'm surprised we don't get a few complaining the touch shouldn't be locked to AT&T
  • Reply 32 of 144
    The Apple store online has gone down in preparation for the update.
  • Reply 33 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UnseenLlama View Post


    I was hoping the new nanos would have the Nike+ sensor built in. That way you don't have to worry about connecting the receiver and just by the transmitter. We shall see.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post


    Bad idea, these sensors die off. Not just the ones that go in the shoe, but the ones that connect to the iPod as well. I've gone through 3 of them. 2 were shoe sensors, 1 was the receiver.



    You wouldn't need any other sensor if it was built in. The sensor you put in your show is an accelerometer, like in the Touch. What you plug into the bottom of the Nano is a proprietary Bluetooth controller to relay the data.
  • Reply 34 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post


    I'm surprised we don't get a few complaining the touch shouldn't be locked to AT&T



    Why would it be. I don't think Apple has a contract with ATT on non-phone devices. Wouldn't it be interesting if Apple did an end-around ATT by providing a wireless device with 3g data capability or simply a USB port that any carriers 3g modem could be plugged into.
  • Reply 35 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    You wouldn't need any other sensor if it was built in. The sensor you put in your show is an accelerometer, like in the Touch. What you plug into the bottom of the Nano is a proprietary Bluetooth controller to relay the data.



    Which begs the question, if it's that simple to be done why are we still waiting for the touch version? Surely it's simple to disable or ignore the accelerometer onboard, and just store the relayed data for upload, just like with the nano. They've said they're working on it, maybe that will be mentioned today. It can't take much longer to do.
  • Reply 36 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    You wouldn't need any other sensor if it was built in. The sensor you put in your show is an accelerometer, like in the Touch. What you plug into the bottom of the Nano is a proprietary Bluetooth controller to relay the data.



    Yes, but it's in your shoe. Unless you strap your iPod to your leg or foot it's going to be much harder for the accelerometer to differentiate between hitting the ground and other movement. The sensor in your shoe has got a much stronger and readily identifiable signal.
  • Reply 37 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post


    Yes, but it's in your shoe. Unless you strap your iPod to your leg or foot it's going to be much harder for the accelerometer to differentiate between hitting the ground and other movement. The sensor in your shoe has got a much stronger and readily identifiable signal.



    I've wondered about this. I have used accelerometers in cars over the years to measure the actual speed. It doesn't matter where it's placed, it was always accurate. The shoe seems like an obvious place, but can it's still work on the arm or in the hand on in a pocket? After all, it's measuring force acting upon it, not the impact. I suppose it would be hard to measure the stride length, but speed and distance should be fine, plus a permanent sensor in the device could be larger and more accurate than the throwaway one in the shoe. (speculation)



    edit: I just think it's odd that CoverFlow would be the only useful app for the motion sensor. Videos will play in widescreen, regardless, so I would think that there would have to be another reason to put an accelerometer in the Nano. T-minus 55 minutes.
  • Reply 38 of 144
    Think about it... a bigger elongated screen.. motion detection... buttons on the bottom...



    Turn it sideways and the buttons are on the left or right side (depending on if you're a lefty or righty). Add the motion detection and you can run a lot of the games already on the iphone.



    I would be surprised if they can use the same binaries... but a little compiler flag that changes the build target from iphone to ipod nano wouldn't be out of the question.



    Videos too of course.
  • Reply 39 of 144
    irelandireland Posts: 17,685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post


    I have not heard but does anyone think the new touches will have GPS.



    What use would that be? Wouldn't one need a data contract to make use of it?
  • Reply 40 of 144
    nceencee Posts: 837member
    The store is down



    S
Sign In or Register to comment.