Next Macbook starting from $890?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    $1099 divided by 1.4 (100% build cost plus 40% markup) = 785.

785 x 1.275 (27.5% markup, under but close to the new markup

numbers) = $1000.88 (.875 exact).
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DOSbox-gamer View Post

It's doubtful Apple will lower the price that much. True, Apple *could* easily compete at a $800-900 price level, but Apple has always regarded itself and its products as better than (needing to compete on a price basis). After all, no one complains about the price of a Beemer or a Ferrari.

That said, Apple studies consumer metrics and attitudes religiously, and I suspect they are very aware of (the importance of) 'psychological' price points. Long story short, a $999 MacBook may be quite likely.

that, and quantity. Apple don't sell as many computers, so to make as much profit the margins must be higher.

However, as they are gaining market share i think dropping it to 999 (nice 3 digits) would be feasible.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

True, at which point, any remaining new stock will be sold at refurb prices.

Granted, but that's not what you said previously.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    A MacBook with superdrive at $899 could essentially replace the Mac mini (+$100) if Apple decides to kill the mini. And the MacBook would be much more powerful.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

A MacBook with superdrive at $899 could essentially replace the Mac mini (+$100) if Apple decides to kill the mini. And the MacBook would be much more powerful.

Actually, as I guy who never cared for the mini, I don't much get what you are talking about here? The mini is cheaper, and a great device for streaming video, which you may not do with a laptop. You know; set up in a corner for a constant stream.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Actually, as I guy who never cared for the mini, I don't much get what you are talking about here? The mini is cheaper, and a great device for streaming video, which you may not do with a laptop. You know; set up in a corner for a constant stream.

What I meant was, it has been rumored that Apple wants to discontinue the mini. IMO, they need a sub $1000 computer to replace it if they do. A MacBook would have all the capabilities of a mini, and be only 12% more money than the high end mini at $899.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    I think Apple should roll the Mac mini (with improved specs) & Time Capsule (with dual removable HDDs & hardware RAID) together, and market it as the new Mac home server. Add DVR functionality, and ditch the AppleTV.

The true center of 'your digital life'…
  • Reply 28 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I think Apple should roll the Mac mini (with improved specs) & Time Capsule (with dual removable HDDs & hardware RAID) together, and market it as the new Mac home server. Add DVR functionality, and ditch the AppleTV.

The true center of 'your digital life'…

No Ronin, I hope they don't do that. And they won't. We're talking about Apple here.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No Ronin, I hope they don't do that. And they won't. We're talking about Apple here.

They would if they charged you $1.99 for each show recorded with your Mac DVR
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Id rather Apple raise their prices across all product lines and get back to what Steve envisioned for the company: a well built high quality computing experience, and my reason for saying this is because I think Foxconn is cutting corners in their manufacturing methods for Apple products..my iPhone 3G had a little chip out of the chrome bezel right out of the box and my iPod Nano 3rd gen had a crooked screen. Not to mention they haven't assembled a product in the US for 6 years. Id gladly pay %15-20 more for my Apple product knowing that it was built right and that some of the manufacturing revenue stayed on this continent. What happened to the good old days of $500 iPods with a dock in the box?
  • Reply 31 of 33
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

The true center of 'your digital life'?

You will want to wait for true 2 way to be out and to work be you will want a dvr.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    I highly doubt they would, although it may be a good move