Macworld 2009 sign-ups open, push some out of keynote room

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    This just in from Paul Kent at IDG regarding the idea of having the keynote at a larger venue:

I wrote:

------------

You simply need a bigger keynote venue. Have you investigated other

options?

------------

He replied:

-------------

Unfortunately, that's just not an actionable idea. Macworld Conference &

Expo takes place at the Moscone Center, and our keynote venue is the

largest, most appropriate venue for the Macworld keynote.

-------------

Hm. "our keynote venue" is probably the most important bit of info in there. I'm sure this is straight from their talking points memo...

21) Customer concern regarding keynote access or size of venue:

Response: Look in eyes, wave hand & say "These are not the venues you are looking for"
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmsender View Post

I have no problem with having the keynote at a separate facility that could accommodate everyone.

Maybe they do. If the benefit doesn't out weighs their costs then it makes no sense. The Moscone is already the largest venue in SF. How many seats are available for the keynote? The largest concert halls in SF only hold 3k. You'd have to go to Mountain View to find one that holds 6k.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    C'mon, they are Apple! How about build his own facility in Cupertino and have the convention on the Apple Campus? How many Apple geeks would wet themselves to walk around there?

J
  • Reply 24 of 29
    I spoke personally with Paul Kent and he told me things would be like last year. If you get in line early enough you do have a chance to get into the main expo room - his precise words that it would be just like previous years, nothing has changed.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm surprised that you are surprised and find that it's 'unexplainable.' It's supply and demand. They only so have so many seats so those paying for the premium packages are getting guaranteed access.

I have no idea how many of those packages were sold last year but it's possible that there will be no overflow if they sell out all the seat to platinum members.

It was unexplainable because the research was done first if you had read the link I provided. The main hall hold 6,000 people. Last year there were 800 Plat press holder, then counting in press and VIPs, that accounted for half of the space. Do the math, it was unexplainable. Now it is explained, IDG made an error.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Oh and my post made it clear I wasn't griping about guaranteed access, obviously that goes to Plat Pass people but for a CHANCE at getting in.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Ok, it's never to early to guessing what Apple will, might, hopefully announce, come out with, up-date ?

- Monitors

- Desktop units

- iTV

- Tablet

-

-

-

-

-

-
  • Reply 28 of 29
    keynote = elitist fun
  • Reply 29 of 29
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

keynote = elitist fun

Maybe being in the presence of The Steve is worthwhile to the big spenders. The video feed is free and accessible to anyone with a computer and a high speed internet connection.