Analyst trims Apple estimates, says Air seeing decreased demand

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    ytvytv Posts: 109member
    These new netbooks are going to kill the macbook air dead, unless Apple completely redesigns and reprices it, and FAST. I just bought a fully loaded netbook for $350 and sold my macbook air on ebay for $1,400. I never in a million years thought I would buy another windows machine, but this things is everything I want, very light, tons of ports, and above all else, SMALL. Not flat, but SMALL.
  • Reply 22 of 109
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The SFF package and low TDP costs more. Just check out Intel's Montevina price list, They also have to factor in how many of these chips they are going to produce. Less used chips cost more pre unit to manufacturer. If the MBA is so over priced then why are there competitor with exact same screen, CPU, RAM etc charging more than Apple?.

Model. . .Speed . . .\tFSB . . .L2 . . TDP \t. .Size. .Price

T9400\t. .2.53GHz. .\t1066MHz. .\t6MB\t. .35W\t. .35mm. .$316

SL9400. .1.86GHz\t. .1066MHz. .\t6MB\t. .17W. . 22mm. .$316

All of this analysis and blah, blah, blah means nothing if the thing is too big. People want small.
  • Reply 23 of 109
    You people who think the Air isn't selling because of the form factor must be smoking dope. Form factor is the ONE reason why it is still selling at all. Sales of the MacBook Air have softened for four very simple reasons:

1. The hard disk capacity is too small. As soon as you get a 128 Gb (or 256 Gb) hard drive, preferably an SSD, then it will be more viable. I just bough an iMac and with my Music, old PC files and now movies, I've already used up 100 Gbs of disk space. The lack of disk space was the only reason I didn't buy an Air.

2. People are waiting to see what the new MacBooks are like. The market eagerly anticipates new MacBooks and I think many potential MBA buyers are waiting to see what turns up before committing themselves. I suspect that the new 13" MacBook will still be significantly heavier than the Air, so that the Air's practical advantages should ensure that it remains competitive.

3. Chip technology has advanced two generations since he Air was launched. The arrival of Penryn has made the Air look a bit slow. The new ULV Penryn/ Montevina chip announced by Appleinsider (SL9400 1.86 Ghz with a reduced thermal envelope 17 w versus 20 w) should provide a significant performance boost - especially when running video applications - so again many potential buyers are anticipating the Air Rev A and again won't commit until this comes out.

4. Price. Price wasn't a barrier to purchase for most business users who saw the MBA as an ideal on-the-road machine. But realising that its high cost was driven by high memory prices which are rapidly coming down, again many people think it makes sense to wait especially as new higher capacity 1.8' drives have been announced.

Soon the only real difference between the 13" MBA and 13" MacBook will be the form factor and lack of an internal DVD drive. The processing power gap should close significantly. As for more ports, perhaps Apple will offer a proprietary port replicator with three USB 2.0 ports, an Ethernet Port, Firewire and video options? But it means something else to lug around which kind of defeats the object of this machine. I don't think the Air is going to be dropped anytime soon. Fix any of the above variables and the Air instantly becomes more attractive. Fix all of them and you hit the ball out of the park.

What we're really seeing is the effect of very savvy computer buyers surfing the net before parting with their hard-earned cash. There's enough reasonable sensible speculation on future Apple buyers to make people hesitate.
  • Reply 24 of 109
    Quote:

$300 netbooks aren't competing with the MBA.

I respectfully disagree.
  • Reply 25 of 109
    Someone should tattoo SMALL on Steve and Jon's heads.

But I think Apple might update the Air in two directions: (1) Something smaller with some performance penalty (2) something that looks the similar the current machine but has better performance. And there'll probably be a price drop.
  • Reply 26 of 109
    Quote:

$300 netbooks aren't competing with the MBA.

I completely disagree. In fact these new netbooks are so small, not only are they competing with the macbook air, they are competing with the iphone/ipod touch.
  • Reply 27 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I respectfully disagree.

I disagree in an entirely disrespectful manner.

The question is portability, so they are direct competitors. Didn't you yourself buy a netbook of some sort in lieu of a MBA?
  • Reply 28 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YTV View Post

I completely disagree. In fact these new netbooks are so small, not only are they competing with the macbook air, they are competing with the iphone/ipod touch.

I think that's going too far, but I'd certainly like to see how far I can take the touch in terms of a general purpose computer.

Without a keyboard and mouse and better performance there is alot the touch cannot do.
  • Reply 29 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

The question is portability, so they are direct competitors.

Yeah that's the way I see it too. Plus they compete based on function and use.

The netbooks and MBA are primarily and almost exclusively used for working with office documents, browsing the net and email. The limited ports on the MBA indicates to me that Apple had this in mind when they designed it.

Netbooks can easily be bought for $400 while the MBA is $1800. That's too much price disparity. While there may be room for the MBA to come down in price I"m not sure it'll ever get under $1000.

No I don't have a Netbook but they are very tempting.
  • Reply 30 of 109
    So called stock analysts are looking more and more like manipulators to me. They rarely seem to say anything that isn't blatantly obvious or highly suspicious and yet the mere act of opening their mouths can drive a stock several percentage points up or down. The market demonstrates little common sense and small investors are simply taken for a ride, like a rubber duck dumped in the ocean.
  • Reply 31 of 109
    Ive always classed the MBA in the same league as the Cube and the Burton Snow Jacket.

One of Steves gimmicks rather than a real product.
  • Reply 32 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

1. The hard disk capacity is too small. As soon as you get a 128 Gb (or 256 Gb) hard drive, preferably an SSD, then it will be more viable. I just bough an iMac and with my Music, old PC files and now movies, I've already used up 100 Gbs of disk space. The lack of disk space was the only reason I didn't buy an Air.

1) If you are talking Base-2 increases then 128GB and 256GB would have to be SSD.

2) The next MBA will have the same 120GB HDD than the iPod Classic now has.

3) I'd wager that Apple will use Intel's SSD when they become available. The MBA would be a great place to promote Intel's new drives before production fully ramps up. They will come in 80 and 160GB sizes.

4) So you were torn between a ultra-portable and desktop? It doesn't sound like you are the target consumer for this machine.

Quote:

2. People are waiting to see what the new MacBooks are like. The market eagerly anticipates new MacBooks and I think many potential MBA buyers are waiting to see what turns up before committing themselves. I suspect that the new 13" MacBook will still be significantly heavier than the Air, so that the Air's practical advantages should ensure that it remains competitive.

The MB is 5.4lbs and the MBP os 5.0lbs. There isn't much Apple can do to shed weight from the device outside of removing the optical drive (which I don't see happening on the MB) and reducing the battery size. Polycarb isn't heavy, but it does have to be thicker than aluminum so they can lose some weight there. I think it'll still be a good 2lbs more than the MBA.

Quote:

3. Chip technology has advanced two generations since he Air was launched. The arrival of Penryn has made the Air look a bI it slow. The new ULV Penryn/ Montevina chip (announced for the MBA on this site) should provide a significant performance boost - especially when running video applications - so again many potential buyers are anticipating the Air Rev A and again won't commit until this comes out.

No, it hasn't. The 22mm Montevina/Penryn is the chip-over-chip successor to the 22mm Santa Rosa/Merom that is currently used. The chips will stay at 1.6 and 1.8xGHz, but the L2 and FSB are increased, with a lower TDP. GPU performance is better with a slightly lower TDP.

Quote:

4. Price. Price wasn't a barrier to purchase for most business users who saw the MBA as an ideal on-the-road machine. But realising that its high cost was driven by high memory prices which are rapidly coming down, again many people think it makes sense to wait.

If by memory, you mean SSD, then Intel entering the game is going to make things better, but it's still expensive.

Quote:

The processing power gap should close significantly.

The MB will be getting faster chips with a lower cost. That won't change, but the speeds of these notebooks may be fast enough to suit many people's basic needs.

Quote:

As for more ports, perhaps Apple will offer a proprietary port replicator with three USB 2.) ports, an Ethernet Port, Firewire and video options? But it means something else to lug around which kind of defeats the object of this machine.

VooDoo's Envy 133 had the ingenious idea of putting the Ethernet port into the power supply. From there the power supply transmits an 802.11b signal that the Envy 133 or any other notebook you wish to connect can access. This is great for hotels that only have Ethernet, which seems to be more common with expensive hotels where a business exec would probably be staying when carting his high-end ultra-portable. Apple's Airport Express already has a lot of these features, but with 802.11n in it. I wonder if Apple can adopt this, plus some other options to make the MBA more viable.
  • Reply 33 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I disagree in an entirely disrespectful manner.

The question is portability, so they are direct competitors. Didn't you yourself buy a netbook of some sort in lieu of a MBA?

You can't really beleive that the same people who need a full size keyboard and decent size screen for work are going to be able to any real work on MID or shruken netbook.

Only one of these is usable for an 8 hour work day.
  • Reply 34 of 109
    Obviously some can't undertsand that smaller is the thing - that's why they take up so much room with thread posts.
  • Reply 35 of 109
    Quote:

Only one's not selling also.

Too big.

And you're ony selecting what you want to compare it to. There are so many others - and better than what you present.
  • Reply 36 of 109
    Quote:

You can't really beleive that the same people who need a full size keyboard and decent size screen for work are going to be able to any real work on MID or shruken netbook.

So did you buy a netbook instead of a MBA? Obviously Some people don't think the keyboard is a problem.
  • Reply 37 of 109
    Quote:

Ok, then you can't really believe that the HUGE market that wants an ultra-portable laptop, really ever viewed the macbook air as a viable option. Sure a ton of us went out and bought it as we love macs, and we wanted something smaller than the macbook. Heck I bought one, but never sold my Lenovo X61 as it was just smaller and easier to carry around. I would use my macbook air while "couch-surfing" but thats about it. It just falls short in so many areas, the main one being small. That is what the ultraportable market wants. A SMALL laptop.

My macbook air is gone so now is my Lenovo X61.

If Apple comes out with a notebook/netbook. That has a 9 or 10 inch screen, has the Atom processor, or some deviation of, where the ram and hard drive can easily be swapped, and has a user swappable battery, running OS X. I will gladly pay DOUBLE what the other netbooks cost.

You can mark my words, the macbook air will be dead completely in 1 year if Apple continues it in its current form. I am so confident I will give anyone 5 to 1 odds, with a $1,000 minimum on my end.

Its usually Apple that bursts on the scene with this hot new product, but I think they really got blindsided here. As the numbers keep stacking up through the holiday, Im sure Apple will see the mistake they made.
  • Reply 38 of 109
    ... because the Macbook Air is completely relevant to the success of Apple Inc.

Yeah, right...

I would still love to have one, though, if I required a computer on the go.
  • Reply 39 of 109
    I'm *exactly* the market the MBA was aimed at, yet as it currently is, I can't use it.

I'm in airplanes, customer sites and hotel rooms 200+ days per year. The form factor of the MBA is great - smaller is better when it comes to going through an airport security line. I could care less about what kind of processor it has because all I need to do is e-mail, PowerPoint, surf the web, play some music out of iTunes and save a few photos. Price is no problem for me because the company buys my equipment. The deal-breaker for me? Hard disk space. 80 GB is simply *way too small*. I ran out of space on an 80 GB drive long ago, I require at least a 160 GB drive. Heck, my iTunes library is 60 GB alone.

I heard way back at the MBA's introduction that a larger hard drive would have had to have a 3 millimeter thicker case to accommodate the 160 that the iPod was using. I'd gladly have lugged around a 3 mm thicker MBA for some decent disk space.

The thing a lot of people don't get when comparing the MBA to those other manufacturer's machines - it's a Mac, there really is no comparison. The only competition the MBA has (as far as I'm concerned) is the 15" MBP. And the MBP has all this crud that I don't need - optical drive, ports o' plenty, etc. Just give me some more freakin' disk space, Apple, OK!

There, I feel much better. Thanks for putting up with me.

Joe
  • Reply 40 of 109
    Quote:

You can mark my words, the macbook air will be dead completely in 1 year if Apple continues it in its current form. I am so confident I will give anyone 5 to 1 odds, with a $1,000 minimum on my end.

I'll take those odds. Where so I sign up?