Report: Mac Spending Up Despite Poor Outlook for Consumer Electronics

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Apple has had 25 years to gain that Market Share. The Lisa was revolutionary.

It's Apple's constant grip on Secrecy and Control that has held them back.

And what major company has an open door policy?

Quote:

I love Apple for their products...

But I dislike their complete lack of tolerance for anyone that happens to stand in Steve's way.

IMHO this is why we don't have the market share we deserve today.

I guess you were asleep for the past 25 years. And what right do you have to the use of the first-person personal pronoun?

Quote:

It was proven again this weekend for Apple to not let a Podcast software in it store. Complete lacks of freedom to program as you wish even when you stay within Apple's SDK agreement.

Why would Apple allow something that they themselves have specifically not allowed, and for very good reasons? Perhaps you should look at the iPHone SDK License a bit more closely. Podcaster does not comply!

Quote:

Apple (FOR THE FIRST TIME) has competition at its front doors with an open platform and they proceed with business as usual. Programmers will start to migrate to the other App Stores popping up and we'll be left with GPS that does nothing than give us a dot to show us where we are.

Name the stores. As for GPS, guess you have been asleep when those announcements were made.

Quote:

That is not why i purchased my iPhone 3G.

So why did you?
  • Reply 22 of 29
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Why would Apple allow something that they themselves have specifically not allowed, and for very good reasons? Perhaps you should look at the iPHone SDK License a bit more closely. Podcaster does not comply!

It should be noted that podcaster doesn't appear to be banned because it manages podcasts, but because it downloads podcasts. Apple's SDK has specifically forbade apps that use excessive bandwidth over the carrier's network. Even the App Store will not DL programs exceeding 10MB if you are using the carrier's network.

I pulled this from Roughly Drafted because I can't find a public copy of the iPhone SDk rules online myself:
    When using cellular data, failure to ‘comply with Apple’s best practices and other guidelines on how Applications should access and use the cellular network [...] in Apple’s reasonable judgment excessively use or unduly burden network capacity or bandwidth [...] have Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) functionality [over cellular networks]
    I don't mind speculation as to the reasons why a secretive company did this or that, but every tech news site seems to heave stated as fact that Apple put the kibosh on Podcaster because it felt threatened by another Podcast manager.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:

But I dislike their complete lack of tolerance for anyone that happens to stand in Steve's way.

It was proven again this weekend for Apple to not let a Podcast software in it store. Complete lacks of freedom to program as you wish even when you stay within Apple's SDK agreement.

Apple (FOR THE FIRST TIME) has competition at its front doors with an open platform and they proceed with business as usual. Programmers will start to migrate to the other App Stores popping up and we'll be left with GPS that does nothing than give us a dot to show us where we are.

Rip me apart but it's the truth.

You are cutting corners here : at one point, Apple had 30 % of the market share, but of course this dwindled to an all-time low of 1 % back in 1998 or so. If you want to set your story straight, you should look from then on. If you start your analysis from 1984, you'd have to divide your analysis in chapters, one of them being "Of bloatware and misdirection (1989-1997)"

And for your analysis, this era shows that by being too public Apple almost killed itself : Pink, Taligent, Copland... and all the Mac prototypes we got to see. All of this promising "brilliant future" that never came and made new product look lacklustre, sending every one in Microsoft arms, a company who delivered on promises (at least this is what everybody thought in 1995, remember...) You might also remember that System 7 had built-in workarounds to allow applications to continue working without their third party editors having to reprogram anything (Word 5) despite these workarounds having a negative impact on usability. Apple even avoided changing the OS where it would have mattered to avoid killing third party software (Now Utilities). By doing so Apple almost killed itself (also... talk about being suicidal !)

Your description only applies to the current Apple (about 1997 to the present). Maybe Apple is being too protective, and I agree that this cannot be sustained forever... because at one point, too much secrecy will hamper market share growth. Unless Apple succeeds on transforming the computer market into a true appliance market. In this case, the future of a product will become irrelevant to the present buyer. Nobody thinks very much about the future when buying an iPod or a fridge. It is working now, it is useful now, and this is what we want in an appliance market. Computers are not appliances yet, however, hence Apple's "problem" with their current secretive strategy (notice the " " around the word problem !)
  • Reply 24 of 29
    It makes sense. If you don't have a lot of money to shell out, buy one product like a MAC that will LAST! No need to upgrade every 2-3 years like a lot of people do with PCs.

I'm givng my 3 year old iMac to my daughter and getting a new one but the old one runs just as well as it did 3 years ago. Not 1 single problem in 3 years.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It should be noted that podcaster doesn't appear to be banned because it manages podcasts, but because it downloads podcasts. Apple's SDK has specifically forbade apps that use excessive bandwidth over the carrier's network. Even the App Store will not DL programs exceeding 10MB if you are using the carrier's network.

I pulled this from Roughly Drafted because I can't find a public copy of the iPhone SDk rules online myself:
    When using cellular data, failure to ‘comply with Apple’s best practices and other guidelines on how Applications should access and use the cellular network [...] in Apple’s reasonable judgment excessively use or unduly burden network capacity or bandwidth [...] have Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) functionality [over cellular networks]
    I don't mind speculation as to the reasons why a secretive company did this or that, but every tech news site seems to heave stated as fact that Apple put the kibosh on Podcaster because it felt threatened by another Podcast manager.

Right on.

Cellular Network:

3.3.15\tIf an Application requires or will have access to the cellular network, then additionally such Application:

- Must comply with Apple's best practices and other guidelines on how Applications should access and use the cellular network;

- Must not in Apple's reasonable judgment excessively use or unduly burden network capacity or bandwidth;

- May not have Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) functionality.
    (Ref. iPhone SKD License)

In addition, the License specifically states, "You agree not to exploit any services provided by the SDK in any unauthorized way whatsoever, including but not limited to, by trespass or burdening network capacity."

What many fail to remember is Apple's concern about ensuring that the primary function of the iPhone is making phone calls, and their objective to keep users' costs down. That covers the need to control the use of apps that could have a detrimental effect on battery life, bandwidth, and thus their stated strategy to include Wi-Fi.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:

If you are an innovator, you have to keep stuff secret, simple. I have learnt this lesson the hard way.

And it's Apples 'control' that makes apples products, apple. If you need full control of your device there is always linux...

Are apple really "held back"? They dont behave like a company i would exactly describe as "held back"!

Apples 'control' is the 'third way', providing openness within a controlled environment, the best of both worlds IMO.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by captaincore View Post

Mac owners are usually the upscale/spendy crowd.

Hey, captaincore, could you make the advertisement in your signature larger? I can't quite read it. And I love to read ads in people's posts. Thanks.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:

Rip me apart but it's the truth.

You're right, closed systems are the reason Apple doesn't have the marketshare it deserves. Just as NEC/Tosh put Sony away with their VHS openness and then, through the one of the biggest displays of commercial idiocy in recent times, allowed Sony to get back at them with the same mechanism (and a bit of brute force!) so MS have played that tactic since the mid 90s.

Unfortunately, while openness may be popular, the usefulness of the results are invariably lacking so though it has a spell of popularity that's a lot of people who are going to be very disappointed when they realise they've been had. Apples marketing is targeted at showing them just that.

It may be why Apple don't have the marketshare they deserve today but tomorrow's looking pretty good, though I'm afraid that global share is about to plummet. When the third-world cheap PCs start to roll out in force as that's not their market. All we have to decide is do we want good or popular? I think we've all made that decision some time ago.

McD
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:

"The key takeaway from these survey results," Changewave noted, "is that consumer electronics spending will remain weak over the next 90 days. The one bright spot is Apple, whose Mac sales are outperforming and are poised to once again reach new all-time highs."

Apple doesn't have to outrun the bear, it just has to outrun Microsoft.