Speed Trap iPhone app to help you avoid speeding tickets

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A small firm called Njection is developing a promising application for the iPhone that will help you avoid speeding tickets by alerting you to common speed traps set up by the highway patrol and local law enforcement.

Though still under development, the app will be compatible with both generations of the iPhone and offer live updates from the firm's interactive Speedtrap Mashup map as well as other iPhone users.

Some of the features already built into the development version include:

Speech notification of Speed Traps based on your current moving direction and distance to closest point.
Microsoft Virtual Earth display of Speed Traps.
Live Updates of speed traps updated from the website or other iPhone users.
Support for Landscape and Portrait mode.
Speed Trap Ranking based on level of enforcement and time of day area is monitored.
3G and 2.5G Compatible. (2.5 users are not as accurate to their current location but still can use the service)
Submit Speed traps from the iPhone or on the website.
Rate Speed traps from the iPhone or on the website.

Njection said several additional features are still in the works for the inaugural release. Pricing information has not yet been released, but AppleInsider will provide updates at a later date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    save hassle, leave earlier for your destination and keep to the speed limits.

why do people feel it is their RIGHT to break speed laws? like it is their RIGHT to kill pedestrians !! ??
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I'm sure apple wont allow this to be sold on the apps store.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

why do people feel it is their RIGHT to break speed laws? like it is their RIGHT to kill pedestrians !! ??

Yeah but some speed traps are insane, especially in the UK. They will set them up right near the beginning of a speed limit as you are slowing down. Plus they charge you for being 5mph over the limit - I heard in some cases they charged for 1mph over despite the cameras nor your speedometer being that accurate. 35mph is not really going to save more lives than 30mph and yet it means the difference between a £60 fine and as much as 6 points on your license (12 points and you are disqualified from driving).

Until speeding laws are drawn up by people with an ounce of common sense, these measures are necessary.

The law should be that people doing 15mph over the limit get fined. Simple rule but very reasonable.

This way you'd be able to drive at 30 in all the 20mph zones cropping up and not have cyclists overtaking you.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah but some speed traps are insane, especially in the UK. They will set them up right near the beginning of a speed limit as you are slowing down. Plus they charge you for being 5mph over the limit - I heard in some cases they charged for 1mph over despite the cameras nor your speedometer being that accurate. 35mph is not really going to save more lives than 30mph and yet it means the difference between a £60 fine and as much as 6 points on your license (12 points and you are disqualified from driving).

Until speeding laws are drawn up by people with an ounce of common sense, these measures are necessary.

The law should be that people doing 15mph over the limit get fined. Simple rule but very reasonable.

This way you'd be able to drive at 30 in all the 20mph zones cropping up and not have cyclists overtaking you.

Thank you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

I'm sure apple wont allow this to be sold on the apps store.

There is nothing about this app that violates any local, state, or international laws. In addition, it doesn't violate Apple's SDK Agreement on the creation of applications.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I hope you aren't one of them that does 35-40 in a 45MPH.

I'd rather have speeders than people who don't use their turn signals. Some people think they can just turn wherever they feel and not let anybody know their intentions.

Or the person that talks(or better yet, TEXTS!) going down the road and not paying attention to things. Or that person thats holding people up at a green light because they aren't paying attention to the light turning from red to green. Or the person who doesn't move over and let somebody merge onto the highway.

So, yes I do speed. I do probably 50mph in a 45mph zone. But I also leave the house early and I always get to my destination 15-20min before I need to be there. I speed because its a comfortable speed and I don't notice it much. Not everybody speeds because they're late for somebody. The speed limits are just set too low.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Njection View Post

There is nothing about this app that violates any local, state, or international laws. In addition, it doesn't violate Apple's SDK Agreement on the creation of applications.

Yea. Some of the apps that have been blocked by apple didn't either.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Obviously speed laws should be enforced sensibly, but people should NOT be allowed to defeat them, because speeding DOES kill people.

Why should I pay taxes to have traffic laws created and enforced, and then pay for a box that fights those same laws? And why should it be legal to do so?

It makes no sense, unless you think there shouldn't be traffic laws.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Obviously speed laws should be enforced sensibly, but people should NOT be allowed to defeat them, because speeding DOES kill people.

my point exactly.

Any motorist doubting this should get out of their car and walk along the side of a busy and/or free flowing main road for about 20/30 mins, walk right beside the edge of the road, on the side of the oncoming traffic, and just let your imagination do some thinking about your chances against even 30 MPH.

the 15MPH over he limit in a 30 comment would mean 45MPH, like to see your hospital bill after that collision

still, there should be a LOT less traffic on the roads by next year.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Well no not always. If the locals reduce the speed on a road to form a trap then if you're "speeding" then you're not being unsafe.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Well no not always. If the locals reduce the speed on a road to form a trap then if you're "speeding" then you're not being unsafe.

Totally. The highway from Santa Fe to Los Alamos in New Mexico comes to mind here. This has to be the least subtle money trap I have seen in my whole life...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

That's like saying knives kill people. It's a meaningless phrase because it doesn't cover the fact that there needs to be an element of irresponsibility. Travelling responsibly above a limit is not dangerous. Look at racing car drivers who control cars at 200 mph and then look at learners who crash cars backing out a drive at 10 mph. A speeding limit applies one rule to everyone of varying driving ability.

What really kills people more than anything is a lack of control - this is obvious from drink and drug driving. When idiotic laws are passed without consent that fine people ridiculous amounts of money for minor offences and irritate drivers by making them unnecessarily late for important meetings then it causes people to lose some of the control they would normally have. Fixing your eyes on your speedo while you drive past a camera is not safe.

Quote:

Why should I pay taxes to have traffic laws created and enforced, and then pay for a box that fights those same laws? And why should it be legal to do so?

You don't pay taxes for that, you pay taxes so that they fix the roads and make your journey more enjoyable and efficient. They are abusing your money by wasting it on measures to make your journey less enjoyable. At the very least we should get a vote about what we motorists consider reasonable limits.

Speeding law enforcement is self-perpetuating anyway - the money they make from speeding fines goes towards putting up more cameras and employing more traffic cops. This is why they go beyond reasonable means to enforce them. If they don't make the money, they have less money to pay the workers. Traffic/parking wardens are the same. We now have people being fined for parking a wheel outside of a space when the car park is near empty.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe

Any motorist doubting this should get out of their car and walk along the side of a busy and/or free flowing main road for about 20/30 mins, walk right beside the edge of the road, on the side of the oncoming traffic, and just let your imagination do some thinking about your chances against even 30 MPH.

What do you mean chances? You shouldn't be on the road if you are a pedestrian. There are plenty of crossing areas that are designed to let you cross safely. Even if you travel at 20 mph, if a child runs out from behind a car within 20 feet of you, you will run that child over and kill them because supposedly the stopping distance for 20 mph is 40 feet. So what do you propose, that we all travel at 5 mph so that we avoid all motoring deaths?

There has to be a balance and the traffic enforcement always push too hard to slow motorists down. It doesn't bother them because their job is to sit at the side of the road and fine people. Some of them even have targets to meet like traffic wardens so they break the rules by fining people on safe, open roads far out of any town.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe

the 15MPH over he limit in a 30 comment would mean 45MPH, like to see your hospital bill after that collision

We have free healthcare in the UK. Perhaps the money that goes towards enforcing speeding laws in the USA should be used for national healthcare.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

It makes no sense, unless you think there shouldn't be traffic laws.

1st: there's tons of POI that do the same for real navigation systems!

2nd: software like this actually helps one stick to the posted speed limit! and it's a good thing to be reminded of speed limits....

to call software like this or POI plugins for navis defeating traffic laws is just stupid!!!

people that built radar jamming devices are breaking the law... there was a guy that built a radar jammer here in germany, and it actually worked quite well... stuff like that is illegal and highly antisocial!!!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Funny, every app idea I have gets created before I have a chance to develop it
  • Reply 14 of 14
    YEAH!! I want this app! Do I speed??? Of course I do!!

Do I smoke, use handheld phone, do texting, etc.?? Hell no!!

I just drive fast and I enjoy doing it. Slowpokes move over...