Software update fixes AirTunes issues caused by iTunes 8

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
After installing iTunes 8.0 last week, several AirPort Express owners reported that they were no longer able to stream music via AirTunes to external speakers. Most received an error in the following format:

"An error occurred while connecting to the remote speaker 'speaker_name'. An unknown error occurred (-3256)."

Apple has since posted a support document on the matter, stating that users should follow a series of steps after making sure they have the most recent firmware update for the AirPort Express.

However, some users report that updating their AirPort Express base stations to the latest firmware fixes the problem without having to take any additional steps.

The latest firmware update for the 802.11n capable AirPort Express is firmware 7.3.2, while the latest firmware update for the 802.11g capable AirPort Express is firmware 6.3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I was also affected by this iTunes 8.0 oddity and could not start streaming to my AirTunes Express anymore. The steps mentioned in the Apple article did nothing to solve my problems. However I discovered, that streaming would just not start if my speaker-setting was to set to the AirTunes connected speakers. I could however start to listen to songs with the speakers set to "Computer". After playback started I could switch the speakers back to AirTunes and streaming to the speakers worked from that point on.

However there remains another problem. I used to have spotty connections to my speakers from time to time. iTunes seemed to notice this and playback stopped only to resumed at the same point of the song once the connection was better again. Now playback will stop, but eventually it will continue at some later point as if the playback would continue through the spotty connection.

Strange days anyway, but let's hope for 8.1
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Using the old g model Express? If so look for other devices using the 2.4GHz band. I lose connection whenever I use my microwave oven and had to change my 2.4GHz wireless phone to a 5.8GHz phone. The 2.4GHz band is a busy band with a lot of consumer devices all sharing it. Some are better at sharing it and some, like the microwave, will hog the whole band.