Apple updates Remote app with Genius playlists

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has released a new version of its popular Remote app for the iPhone (Free, App Store), which allows you to control iTunes on your computer, or alternatively an Apple TV.



Version 1.1 lets users to create and edit playlists from their iPhone, as well as use the new "Genius" feature that was introduced with iTunes 8 last week. Also tweaked are the preferences for AirTunes speakers, which have been relocated to be more accessible.



Remote has been on the App store from day one, and is one of only two iPhone apps offered by Apple Inc., the other being Texas Hold'Em ($4.99, App Store).



When Remote was introduced, it was noticeable that the Remote was more fully featured than the iPhone's built in iPod application, initially offering more information about tracks (this has changed since the introduction of the 2.1 firmware, however), scrolling optimisation, and a search function.



All of this suggests there's quite a heavy focus on Remote and its technologies - and let's just say if a user were able to access their iTunes library from anywhere (not just a local network), and the selected media would play on the iPhone itself as well - then you'd have something Apple patented very recently.





Comments

  • Reply 1 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,751member
    Search is new, I'm sure of it. And video? Is that new too?



    I though the first one was Ok, make no mistake this is a "huge" improvement. LOADS of new features, despite Apple only listing a couple.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Search is new, I'm sure of it. And video? Is that new too?



    I though the first one was Ok, make no mistake this is a "huge" improvement. LOADS of new features, despite Apple only listing a couple.



    Search is not new, neither is the option to choose videos.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwilym View Post


    Search is not new, neither is the option to choose videos.



    Finally we have playlist capability! It's still not perfect but it's much improved.



    It would be great if, when is "Album" or "Artist" or "Search" view it gave an option to "play" OR "add to queue" as opposed to now where it just plays and cuts out the track you're listening to..



    Also when you're editing a playlist and you add a song from the "search" section it should give a confirmation that the song has been added to the playlist.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,751member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwilym View Post


    Search is not new, neither is the option to choose videos.



    GO figure, there seems to be a few new things though. Not mentioned.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    What is the likelihood that Apple will develop a multi zone streaming capability similar to Sonos? Given that they have gone this far with the Remote App you'd imagine it would make sense to go the whole way and allow streaming of different songs to different Airport expresses simultaneously.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc54321 View Post


    What is the likelihood that Apple will develop a multi zone streaming capability similar to Sonos? Given that they have gone this far with the Remote App you'd imagine it would make sense to go the whole way and allow streaming of different songs to different Airport expresses simultaneously.



    I had a quick play with the app this morn... but couldn't figure out how to make a Genius playlist from remote app.



    Can someone give me a quick walk thru?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post


    I had a quick play with the app this morn... but couldn't figure out how to make a Genius playlist from remote app.



    Can someone give me a quick walk thru?



    Play a song as with Remote 1.0, when it comes to the "now playing" window hit the genius button under the position slider.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc54321 View Post


    Play a song as with Remote 1.0, when it comes to the "now playing" window hit the genius button under the position slider.



    Sweet. Thanks for that.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Where did they move the speaker selector to? I cant find it anymore.
Sign In or Register to comment.