msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    My black 16GB just showed up.

All I can say is... Very nice
  • Reply 22 of 29
    hmmm well thats weird *shrugs*
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chwilliam View Post

It still amazes me that Apple is managing a total of 18 nano combinations, let alone another set for the 4gb

I like that they effortlessly go back and forth between having multiple color-SKUs, two-choice or single-choice.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

I like that they effortlessly go back and forth between having multiple color-SKUs, two-choice or single-choice.

I'm amazed they offered so many color choices. That's a lot for a company that strives so hard to minimize model variations.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Big W in Australia has 4GB 4G Nanos as well for $167.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marktrek View Post

Probably Apple changing production. Maybe they originally though of having an inexpensive 4GB and a premium 16GB, but then changed their minds after production had started. There is no other explanation for a posted sign. Everybody makes mistakes, but Apple surely knows what products they are making.

Mahalo, Mark

web.mac.com/marktrek/Apple/Royal_Hawaiian_Center.html

THe current news is that Apple originally was producting 4 and 8 GB units at the same price point as the 3rd gen models and was taken by surprise that MS brought out the Zune 8 and 16 GB models at 149/199. Apple immediately pulled literature from the stores and started producing 16GB models while shuffling (excuse the pun) the 4GB models overseas to "disappear" from the US market.

This doesn't surprise me at all because all the local big boxes only had 8GB models at first. My very own 16GB nano was shipped directly from China and arrived a week after they showed up in the stores.

It appears that Apple was stung on this one, but was able to turn it around at the last moment. It could have been worse if MS had kept their pricing and storage offerings truly secret. Had I known that Apple was planning on charging that much for the lower storage amounts, I wouldn't have ordered in the first place.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

It appears that Apple was stung on this one, but was able to turn it around at the last moment. It could have been worse if MS had kept their pricing and storage offerings truly secret. Had I known that Apple was planning on charging that much for the lower storage amounts, I wouldn't have ordered in the first place.

This could be an unseen hit to their profits for the holiday quarter.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm amazed they offered so many color choices. That's a lot for a company that strives so hard to minimize model variations.

I bet they've got a lot of sales data from the 2nd and 3rd gen nanos showing them how many of each color to make.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    markmark Posts: 143member
    FYI: The 4GB model is available at bestbuy.ca for $139 (CDN.)

You can even get a red one. I wonder if they have the 'Product RED' logo on them.