Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by awmawm View Post

I thought all roads lead to Rome

That's Redmond.
  • Reply 42 of 85
    Aah, finally, Microsoft is starting to get things right again. It means MSoft got the right people in developing Zune cause some of the ideas (features) in Zune is pretty creative.

Their new Ad is also okay, although it doesnt really tell the advantage of PC, its just a bunch of people saying Im a PC and ??????. Much better then their Mojave and Bill and Sein Part 1, Part 2 was erm.....better?
  • Reply 43 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techfreak85 View Post

my friend got a 4 gig ipod touch.

Not how..... why?
  • Reply 44 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

Then go get your Zune then.... enjoy the Microsoft Marketplace with the point system that takes more of your money. enjoy yourself! We won't miss you!

Seriously do not understand why so many people forgive Microsoft and defend them when *clearly* Microsoft is about winning and not about innovation or even caring about their own products. Look at a brown Zune and tell me they really care about you as a consumer. Please, whatever Apple or someone on the block that creates the next cool toy, Microsoft is right behind them to copy it in the worst way possible. It's like buying an iPod look-a-like made in/from China and saying it's way better than an iPod and think the product will actually be around when the next cool thing arrives. Please, give me a break!

Just for the Record. Your iPod, iPhone and iPod Touch are made in China, so please just give me a break when posting, The basis of your statement Stabs Apple right in the heart.
  • Reply 45 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Zunes don't use WMP (at least not anymore). Zunes have used their own specialized software since the 2.0 firmware. It's not exactly what I would call 100% user-friendly, but I found it more bearable than iTunes which has grown into a bloated pig over the years.

And yeah, wireless sync would be kickass on my iPod touch.

Why so hostile? I don't show blind alegiance to any one company -- in fact, I don't really give a crap about companies, I care about their products.

As for the Zune Marketplace, pfff. I scoff at it and iTunes. I buy all of my music from the Amazon MP3 store. Cheaper downloads and DRM free -- just the way it should be. And it integrates nicely with iTunes, so I can't complain.

The only thing I use iTunes for (purchasing) is for the Apps Store.

My hat goes off to you for posting pure logic. It's not the Vendor, it's the technology.

I want the Best X Product I can buy, I dont' care if it's made by WalMart.

Apple is getting Lazy, iTunes is a PIG and the latest software releases have been unstable, unworthy and nothing more than a live BETA.

Not to mention charging $99 for Mobile Me. for it's worth it should be given away free.

At least Google keeps "Beta" on it's software until it's ready for release.

Lost more faith today in Apple and have a 512Ke for sale that I was keeping because it was my first Mac.
  • Reply 46 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by awmawm View Post

Same here. I have not bought a single song from iTunes but still use it to organize my library. Yes, there are better applications than iTunes but none of them make it easy enough to sync with our family's ipods (and now even Blackberries!).

Could not agree more. Since last Saturday, and a 12 DRM stipping session, I am Amazon all the way. If Amazon doesn't have it, I find other ways to get it. I only use iTunes to organize my music, and the App Store. Occasionally a movie or two and I am looking at a way to get rid of the DRM on those as well. Once I find a solution, iTunes will see less and less of my money.
  • Reply 47 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I can walk to the end of my driveway and be closer to Dublin, but it doesn't mean much.

Hahaha..
  • Reply 48 of 85
    ...If you say so... only the 16GB models? Sounds less like the almost unheard of Zune and more like a flash memory shortage. But hey, what do I know? I've have seen one whole Zune in the wild since they came out, a Brown 30. I cannot get through my day without seeing a nano ear-budded to someone, yes, specifically a nano.
  • Reply 49 of 85
    I still think the iPod range is the best looking but the competition is definately catching up. I'm not keen on the Zune but I like the new Sony Walkman range - they have received good reviews for sound quality.

I was a bit disappointed with some of the things Apple left out of their recent updates. I was hoping to see the addition of a wirless option for wireless headphones and more songs available in iTunes Plus 256k DRM free format.
  • Reply 50 of 85
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Could not agree more. Since last Saturday, and a 12 DRM stipping session, I am Amazon all the way. If Amazon doesn't have it, I find other ways to get it. I only use iTunes to organize my music, and the App Store. Occasionally a movie or two and I am looking at a way to get rid of the DRM on those as well. Once I find a solution, iTunes will see less and less of my money.

And the reason (good reason's now) - why DRM music isn't available on iTunes is what?

Skip
  • Reply 51 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

And the reason (good reason's now) - why DRM [free] music isn't available on iTunes is what?

The studios, except for EMI, aren't allowing Apple to sell DRM-free audio.

04-MAR-2002 — Jobs talks about the pitfalls of DRM* (source)

(2003)

(2004)

(2005)

(2006)

06-FEB-2007 — Steve Jobs writes open letter to abolish DRM (source)

11-FEB-2007 — Warner CEO calls Jobs' DRM stance "completely without logic or merit" (source)

02-APR-2007 — EMI music on iTunes Store is now DRM free (source)

16-MAY-2007 — Amazon announced DRM free music with EMI (source)

10-AUG-2007 — Universal agrees to sell DRM-free music through Amazon (source)

25-SEP-2007 — Amazon launches its MP3 service (source)

27-DEC-2007 — Warner agrees to sell DRM-free music through Amazon (source)

10-JAN-2008 — Sony BMG agrees to sell DRM-free music through Amazon (source)

How 'bout them Apples?

* Steve Jobs in 2002 said, "If you legally acquire music, you need to have the right to manage it on all other devices that you own."
  • Reply 52 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The studios, except for EFI, aren't offering Apple DRM-free audio.

And this isn't against the law in some way? If it's available, then it's available - right?

There must be a law against this, but Apple must not want to rock the boat. Hell they don't have as much DRM music as many of us want, and they still have 80+ percent of the market.

I mean, wouldn't this be like Apple, Sears, Best Buy or anyone selling you a product, and then when I walk into make the same purchase, saying "Sorry we can't sell it to you because, we don't want to"?

S
  • Reply 53 of 85
    Quote:

And this isn't against the law in some way? If it's available, then it's available - right?

There must be a law against this, but Apple must not want to rock the boat. Hell they don't have as much DRM music as many of us want, and they still have 80+ percent of the market.

I mean, wouldn't this be like Apple, Sears, Best Buy or anyone selling you a product, and then when I walk into make the same purchase, saying "Sorry we can't sell it to you because, we don't want to"?

S

On the surface it does look like the studios are giving an unfair advantage to Amazon but we have no idea what Amazon had to agree to in order to get the deal they got. The studios could easily say that they would love to offer DRM-free tracks to iTS, but Apple won't agree to their terms. Just like with Apple choosing not to sell certain apps, there is nothing illegal about the studios are doing.
  • Reply 54 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

On the surface it does look like the studios are giving an unfair advantage to Amazon but we have no idea what Amazon had to agree to in order to get the deal they got. The studios could easily say that they would love to offer DRM-free tracks to iTS, but Apple won't agree to their terms. Just like with Apple choosing not to sell certain apps, there is nothing illegal about the studios are doing.

And DRM free, allows for coping and playing on as many things as I want ? right/ It doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the song / sound?

S
  • Reply 55 of 85
    Quote:

And DRM free, allows for coping and playing on as many things as I want ? right/ It doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the song / sound?

S

It's just about how you can play the song. It's the Digital Rights Management.
  • Reply 56 of 85
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:

S

Currently there three sure ways to DRM free music:

- iTunes+ files.

- buy a CD and rip them yourself.

- the jolly roger method (DRM encourages this).

Of course there are other sellers, but they really depend on you using MS-Windows. The first option is also struck off the list if you aren't using Windows or MacOS X, so I suppose that make two sure ways.
  • Reply 57 of 85
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

- iTunes+ files.

Of course there are other sellers, but they really depend on you using MS-Windows. The first option is also struck off the list if you aren't using Windows or MacOS X, so I suppose that make two sure ways.

What about Amazon's MP3 store? They have an OS X client downloader...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/help...ef=sv_dmusic_3
  • Reply 58 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

- iTunes+ files.

There is also the burning as an Audio CD. Since HDD space is cheap if you re-encode back into iTunes as AAC and higher than 192kbps you aren't going to lose any content that is discernible. DRM Dumpster will automate the entire process legally using iTunes and re-writable CD.
  • Reply 59 of 85
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I can walk to the end of my driveway and be closer to Dublin, but it doesn't mean much.

"And I can see Russia from my House!" -Tina Fey as Sara Palin.
  • Reply 60 of 85
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

What about Amazon's MP3 store? They have an OS X client downloader...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/help...ef=sv_dmusic_3

Thanks for the heads-up, I wasn't aware of this one. They even support Linux!