Review: Apple's second-generation iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The iPhone isn't simply using GPS. Assisted GPS requires a constant data connection. Which the Touch does not have.

How many GPS devices use Assisted GPS (A-GPS)? My understanding is that it is limited to cellphone based GPS which is only a fraction of the market. I would much rather have a GPS device that is not associated with a monthly fee to a monopoly (or duopoly) provided service. Don't misunderstand, I think it is fine that such an option (A-GPS) is available. I would just be happier to also have the option for straight GPS without the assist. More choices, more options, more satisfied customers.
  • Reply 42 of 93
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I love my brand new 32 gb Ipod touch. The only warning I can give is wait until the cases come out-- the back scratches very easily and cases aren't yet available!!!

Thanks for the warning- I waited for the reviews and now have to wait for the case. Do iPhone cases work with the Touch? Or will there be specific ones for the Touch. I prefer a clickshield , clamp style case which insures no scratches. I currently have one on my iPod 5G and it looks brand new. Beware of the ones where you have to slip/squeeze it into the case- you get instant scratches.
  • Reply 43 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Thanks for the warning- I waited for the reviews and now have to wait for the case. Do iPhone cases work with the Touch? Or will there be specific ones for the Touch. I prefer a clickshield , clamp style case which insures no scratches. I currently have one on my iPod 5G and it looks brand new. Beware of the ones where you have to slip/squeeze it into the case- you get instant scratches.

Thanks for the warning!! I hear that those clear protective coverings (invisa shield?) take a PHd in physics to put on. Are there any that are easier to apply? I was actually looking for a shock absorbant case (cos i know i will be dropping my ipod lots by mistake). Do any of those protective films you have to apply protect against dropping (on cement or hard tile)?
  • Reply 44 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

How many GPS devices use Assisted GPS (A-GPS)? My understanding is that it is limited to cellphone based GPS which is only a fraction of the market. I would much rather have a GPS device that is not associated with a monthly fee to a monopoly (or duopoly) provided service. Don't misunderstand, I think it is fine that such an option (A-GPS) is available. I would just be happier to also have the option for straight GPS without the assist. More choices, more options, more satisfied customers.

I'll have what he's having.
  • Reply 45 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Just ordered two new different kinds of cases from Macally's online store for the 2nd gen touch. As far as I know, they are the first to market with new case designs.

https://www.iunitek.com/macally/index.cfm

They arrive in about a week.
  • Reply 46 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

Thanks for the warning!! I hear that those clear protective coverings (invisa shield?) take a PHd in physics to put on. Are there any that are easier to apply? I was actually looking for a shock absorbant case (cos i know i will be dropping my ipod lots by mistake). Do any of those protective films you have to apply protect against dropping (on cement or hard tile)?

Go to iLounge.com- they review all the cases (iPhone and iPods) and you can sort them by grade- A+ to F. The clamp style case has a very tight seal and rubber edges-I believe Contour makes one as well. Good luck.

I don't like the clear films- prefer an actual case.
  • Reply 47 of 93
    anyone? anyone?

will Touch stream music to Airport Express via Wi-Fi? I cant find anything on the subject which leads me to believe that Apple yet again has dropped the ball. or if someone can explain why such a function is not possible, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

seems like a good idea to me. maybe its a third party app. anyone?
  • Reply 48 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sillycybin View Post

anyone? anyone?

will Touch stream music to Airport Express via Wi-Fi? I cant find anything on the subject which leads me to believe that Apple yet again has dropped the ball. or if someone can explain why such a function is not possible, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

seems like a good idea to me. maybe its a third party app. anyone?

You can stream music to your touch over WiFi using the App "AOL Radio", which I like quite a bit. There are others, just search the App Store.
  • Reply 49 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Ah, you are correct. However, none of the iPods have ever really had significant changes with sound quality, which is probably why they referenced the original reviews instead of mentioning the same thing twice. They stuck with the new features instead.

HA!!! Try comparing the original iPod shuffle to ANY other iPod. The Sigmatel decoder on the shuffle makes the other iPods sound terrible.
  • Reply 50 of 93
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Pure GPS on a phone doesn't work that well. Nokia famously discovered this when it first added GPS to its phones. GPS signals are weak and easily blocked or corrupted. The hardware in dedicated GPS devices are specific to receiving and using those weak signals.

Because the iPod Touch is not a dedicated GPS device assisted GPS would be the most useful option. Even dedicated GPS devices aren't accurate in every situation.
  • Reply 51 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

HA!!! Try comparing the original iPod shuffle to ANY other iPod. The Sigmatel decoder on the shuffle makes the other iPods sound terrible.

Thank you- finally someone who knows something about sound around here.
  • Reply 52 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You can stream music to your touch over WiFi using the App "AOL Radio", which I like quite a bit. There are others, just search the App Store.

thanks for the info. im thinkin its time for me to get in Touch.
  • Reply 53 of 93
    ytvytv Posts: 109member
    Quote:

The GPS in my blackberry works with no cell signal at all. Not sure what kind of GPS chip it is.

Anyways to comment on the new 2nd gen Touch. She got her new one last week and let me say not only does it "feel" so much thinner, but its atleast twice as fast as both iphones we have in our household, a first gen and a 3g unit. Both are used strictly as data devices, no voice at all. Would also like to note she has 2-3x more apps installed than either iphone does. She has 78 different icons on her phone right now and it is FAST. Virtually no lag switching, starting, closing, updating any applications at all. I can't wait until someone hacks the bluetooth chip in it, then we can get rid of both iphones.
  • Reply 54 of 93
    I have been testing the iPhone Wifi connection for some iPhone app ideas.

Unfortunately, with the Wifi connection, the battery life is so bad that now I totally understand why Apple does not allow background apps and doesn't allow VOIP.

Let me put this way... your iphone will be dead in 30 minutes to 1 hour if iPhone Wifi is constantly shifting data.
  • Reply 55 of 93
    A review that tells us everything EXCEPT the actual sound quality of the headphone output is useless.

We all know what an iPod feels and looks like.

However, not everyone can listen to one for tens of hours before buying.

Apple wins. The death of audio sound quality began with the introduction of digital audio, and MP3s have completely eradicated high-fidelity.

Now, when people buy a music player they care only how it looks.
  • Reply 56 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

A review that tells us everything EXCEPT the actual sound quality of the headphone output is useless.

Apple wins. The death of audio sound quality began with the introduction of digital audio, and MP3s have completely eradicated high-fidelity.

Excellent - you hit it right on the head. And it supposed to be all about the music- "Let's Rock"- remember?
  • Reply 57 of 93
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:

One review I read that did *actual* distortion &c. tests (rather than just having a listen) on the headphone output, rated the new iPod Touch as improved and 'Superior' in the range of available mp3 players.

But, yes, mp3 compression does make the music sound like it's coming from a cardboard box when played on a decent stereo. I didn't notice it that much til I got to do a simple CD vs mp3 comparison through a full component hi-fi. Some music sounds fine but complex music with a heavy bass line sounds squashed and shabby via lossy mp3 (regardless of bit rate) compared to the original. I also noticed that modern dvd players sound inferior to my old Pioneer CD player (something to do with the DAC processing I guess).
  • Reply 58 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

I also noticed that modern dvd players sound inferior to my old Pioneer CD player (something to do with the DAC processing I guess).

Your ears do not deceive you. In general, most digital music players today are inferior to mid-late 90s CD players and earlier DVD players. Ultra high-end DACs have come down dramatically in price, but in the consumer range, most of the stuff today is actually not as well designed as in previous days gone by.

Most MP3 players today are adequate. When I'm traveling, I don't need the best sound quality, but a review like this should at least tell readers what its reviewer thinks of the sound. I hate to say it because I love Apple, but many audiophiles agree that the iPod's sound is not among the best in its class. When using a decent pair of earphones like the Etymotic ER4 and listening to quality CD rips of well recorded songs (Pink Floyd, for example), you can really tell the difference between something considered excellent like the Sandisk Clip and the previous Nano. Apple seems to have gone after design first, usability second, screen third, and sound quality last.
  • Reply 59 of 93
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,100member
    Quote:

And a review of the sound quality is equally useless. That's because the sound we hear from an MP3 player, while using earbuds, is highly personal. No one can hear how it sounds, except for the person wearing the earbuds. It's not like listening to a stereo system with loudspeakers, in a room. Where several people in the room can hear the same sounds, at the same time. Earbuds fits everybody ears differently. And thus sounds different to each listener.

In order to write a review of the sound quality of an MP3 player that is useful, one would have to use the same earbuds (headphones) for every MP3 player he's reviewed. Then, an only then, can he say that one MP3 play sounds better or worse than another. And his opinion would still be only for the earbuds (headphones) he's using.

And when you think about it. If the average person can't tell the difference between a lossless CD quality music file and a lossy MP3 (AAC) music file while listening to them with earbuds on an MP3 player. What's does it matter about the sound quality output of the player. Or between players. If you wants better sound, get better earbuds, in-ear buds or over-the-ear headphones. Or use the equalizer.
  • Reply 60 of 93
    Of course we all hear sounds differently (even from speakers), but almost all of us will agree that, for example, a transistor radio's sound quality is atrocious, and that the first generation iPod now sounds merely half decent.

I'm just looking for basic information about the player's sound quality. Does it sound exactly the same to the reviewer as the previous Nano? If not, how does it sound different?

Audiophile publications do reviews of amps, speakers, etc. even though few people will use the exact same system components and cables as the reviewer (not to mention the rooms will vary widely), yet what the reviewer thinks about the product's sound still matters.

Even the less than expert reviewers at Cnet will spend a paragraph describing personal impressions of sound quality. I'm sure Appleinsider can at least match Cnet, whose bar isn't exactly high