Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why - what's the other hand doing?

driving a car ...?
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

I think it's good for Apple to have a bit of competition

- overall, it's not as neat or complete as the iPhone, but Android does have some nice touches

- like the homescreen seems more interesting, and customisable

- I find the iPhone home screen just a bland-grid, and no background screen is lame.

- plus the little things like copy & paste, or the 3.1M camera are good.

- but the lack of multi-touch means that they have to have those retro on-screen zoom buttons

- and the browser navigating is little better than the S60

Also, Compass Mode on Street view looks pretty cool

- I don't think the iPhone has a compass!

Competition is good.

This first product does not seem to be all that competitive with iPhone.

As a media device there is no video syncing. The headphones are a drag.

As a web device, the web browsing seems *very* clunky compared to iPhone.

The open-ness has not translated into anything meaningful yet (no tethering etc.)

And the Java thing seems to be a bad solution for a handheld.

So I don't see Cupertino loosing much sleep. The guys at Nokia, on the other hand, should be much more worried.

C.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leithal View Post

I liked the rest of it....

I just am not sure most people out there even have a clue what android is. Sure the geeks do, but even my mom knows what an iPhone is.

EXACTLY. That is the genus of Apple. iPhone conjures up a phone while an android - hum a robot? Definitely not a phone. And that is why Apple will succeed and android will fail. Most people associate things and who wants a robot stuck to their face? Not me.

Arv
  • Reply 44 of 47
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaka View Post

EXACTLY. That is the genus of Apple. iPhone conjures up a phone while an android - hum a robot? Definitely not a phone. And that is why Apple will succeed and android will fail. Most people associate things and who wants a robot stuck to their face? Not me.

A major flaw in your argument is that Android is a lot more of a project code name than a marketing name.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaka View Post

Arv

I don't foresee either of them failing. Android in the HTC won't be the huge success that the iPhone has had. Even 1M unit sales after one year would be phenomenal, but remember that Android is free, it is associated with the household name Google, and it can be used on any network in any country and on any device, even non-phones. There is a real possibility that we will even see PMP/MIDs using Android.

PS: I've been stating for awhile now that the iPhone will have a profound impact on the smartphone market that will increase such sales for all manufacturers (at least in the US). Anecdotally speaking, i now know of 3 people that have purchased the Samsung Instinct because they liked the iPhone but wanted to stay with Sprint. That is not conclusive by any means, but if anyone has read a report about this actually happening with other smartphones please post me a link.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    We have been with T-Mobile for many years. They put up a new tower that covers our valley perfectly.

If it worked tethered, I would drop our landline. (even if 3G was not yet available)

I read that good ol' T-Mobile customers would have to pay $299 not $179.

T-Mobile customer service says "we are not yet a ISP." What's next?
  • Reply 47 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenwire View Post

If it worked tethered, I would drop our landline. (even if 3G was not yet available)

It's a mostly open OS, so finding a workaround for tethering shouldn't be that hard.

Quote:

I read that good ol' T-Mobile customers would have to pay $299 not $179.

I'm guessing that is the price if you need to drop a contract and start a new one. If so, that is actually pretty cheap in comparison to other US carriers.