Apple preparing to launch iPhone in 29 more countries

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

I'm personally very surprised that neither Malaysia nor Indonesia will be in the 2008 round of countries receiving the iPhone 3G.

As for Malaysia, I am not in the least surprised. Many here regard Indonesia as more liberal and advanced than Malaysia. My guesses, Indonesia will get it way before Malaysia.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Sorry to our Indonesia, Malaysia, and S Korea friends! We all hope you get iPhone soon...
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidswelt View Post

Is it a rumor that all cell phones are required to have a USB port in China?

This rule is very sensible, but of course it would be an obstacle for the iPhone.

Sure. Why not just open the door to tty ports and just let China reverse engineer and offer a knock-off.

This not only makes zero sense but it forces a different firmware for China which will in essence cripple the iPhone 3G for China to protect against that "requirement."
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:

I'm personally very surprised that neither Malaysia nor Indonesia will be in the 2008 round of countries receiving the iPhone 3G.

Yeah, we want iPhone!!!!!

Quote:

As for Malaysia, I am not in the least surprised. Many here regard Indonesia as more liberal and advanced than Malaysia. My guesses, Indonesia will get it way before Malaysia.

liberal has nothing to do with the iPhone. Indonesia being more advance then Malaysia? Please...you dont know what you talking about.

Quote:

Do they have electricity yet?

And that's why some of us say some Americans are stupid.

Quote:

Sorry to our Indonesia, Malaysia, and S Korea friends! We all hope you get iPhone soon...

Thanks
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Sure. Why not just open the door to tty ports and just let China reverse engineer and offer a knock-off.

This not only makes zero sense but it forces a different firmware for China which will in essence cripple the iPhone 3G for China to protect against that "requirement."

The iPhone is made in China, so they don't even need to reverse engineer it. They have the factories all set up already.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Finally is anounced in Croatia
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidswelt View Post

Is it a rumor that all cell phones are required to have a USB port in China?

This rule is very sensible, but of course it would be an obstacle for the iPhone.

Isn't there a rule in China where milk should not kill you?
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Isn't there a rule in China where milk should not kill you?

I think that it's not only in China, also in the States and in Europe there's a rule that says that milk should not kill you.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Look, any Malaysian will tell you, let's face the fact, sometimes it really is backward here. Perhaps at the top of the developing countries heap, but definitely lagging behind Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong. The lack of the iPhone 3G, the PS3 that was *only just recently officially launched*, is just the tip of the iceberg.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

The problem is the way big business is done in Malaysia. Without dragging this thread into PoliticalOutsider... Well, if you live here or have lived here you'll know...
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:

Look, any Malaysian will tell you, let's face the fact, it really is backward here.

Can you be more specific as to the challenges Apple would face? According to Wikipedia most of the carriers have UMTS or HSDPA, but it doesn't state how much coverage there is or the number of subscribers using it. The numbers certainly seem high enough for Apple to want their business.

PS: What country do you reside in. I thought you were in China.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Damn, no Malaysia again? Noo!!! and I thought Malaysia is going to get iPhone 3G by the end of this year. ....

Don't listen to bloody Maxis or Celcom. Bunch of rubbish all this iPhone3G in Malaysia talk, if you ask me. Just get an iPhone 3G from Singapore. Don't upgrade to 2.1 though if you are using it on Maxis
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Cna be more specific as to the challenges Apple would face? According to Wikipedia most of the carriers have UMTS or HSDPA, but it doesn't state how much coverage there is or the number of subscribers using it. The numbers certainly seem high enough for Apple to want their business.

I guess when I talk about backwards I guess I am talking more about education and attitudes. Broadband and 3G coverage is a very interesting start.

The main issue is that large local and global conglomerates are way too intimately weaved into the fabric of the political, judicial and legislative system.

The national telco's DSL rollout is terrible. The major competitor's 3G coverage is actually pretty good... if you use an iPhone 3G (unlocked eg. from Singapore) and not their 3G broadband USB modem.

The new iPod Touch, for those wondering, is not yet available in Malaysia... Because, "SIRIM" (the equivalent of USA's FCC for Malaysia...) has not "approved" it for some reason. This particular government agency, is supposed to, among other things, make sure power plugs don't explode and stuff like that... some kind of "electrical/ manufacturing standards" body...

There's also big talk of WiMax and major WiFi coverage, but it has yet to materialise.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:

The new iPod Touch, for those wondering, is not yet available in Malaysia... Because, "SIRIM" (the equivalent of USA's FCC for Malaysia...) has not "approved" it for some reason. This particular government agency, is supposed to, among other things, make sure power plugs don't explode and stuff like that... some kind of "electrical/ manufacturing standards" body...

If the iPod Touch hasn't been approved by the SIRIM, I would imagine that the iPhone would have been approved, either.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:

...PS: What country do you reside in. I thought you were in China.

Heh. Never been there. But I've spent a few months, sometimes years, in San Francisco, Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Singapore, a few months in London, and most recently a few years here in Kuala Lumpur.

Basically I grew up in Malaysia but like most of my childhood friends we had to travel widely to improve our education, work opportunities, and to grow our skills. Our parents now speak better English in some cases than today's teenagers here.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:

If the iPod Touch hasn't been approved by the SIRIM, I would imagine that the iPhone would have been approved, either.

That's the million dollar question, all these machinations are a big black box that most of the population does not know about. What's so different about the new iPod Touch compared to the previous one that was approved pretty fast? Most Apple gear never had an issue previously. I mean, we get all sorts of stuff from Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China, USA, Europe, etc. etc. We've got a decent port here but Singapore is definitely the huge hub for a lot of stuff. Generally, there's a good push in this region for more free trade, and this has improved in the past several years. Intel and Dell have quite a big presence... From time to time AMD and Western Digital as well.

Sadly, in the developing world, things are not as straightforward as they should be. I think somebody in this approval process thingymajig got wise to just how big this iPhone and new iPod Touch stuff is going to be, monetary wise... Sounds like somebody high up wants a bit more of the slice of the cake, if you get my drift...

The ironic thing is that most of the city folk in the middle to middle-upper class have an iPhone 2G or 3G by now anyways.

That said, most people here all have had mobile phones for the past five years, of course like in many of these countries the iPhone 3G is now a big phat status symbol like the Loius Vitton bag.

Edit: The situation here actually in some way is not unlike China and Korea, where as it says in the article... "...where regulatory bodies appear to be complicating the launch process...". For what reasons exactly, is intriguing... Korea's situation is quite obvious as a protectionist move for, I mean, some of the biggest mobile handset makers in the world, eg. Samsung and LG. China... well, who knows.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Do they have electricity yet?

LOL this isn't as rude as it sounds from Fast Fred... I live 5 km from the heart of the largest city here... and the phone line craps out sometimes, electricity fluctuates a bit (got a few chargers burnt out a few times until I installed a UPS)... Because of the tropical thunderstorms lightning easily wipes out a few DSL modems and cordless phones in my neighbourhood every few months [telephone lines are above ground in most of inner-city and surrounding suburbs]. As mentioned, I'm not impressed with our national telco... It's kinda like AT&T
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:

Don't listen to bloody Maxis or Celcom. Bunch of rubbish all this iPhone3G in Malaysia talk, if you ask me. Just get an iPhone 3G from Singapore. Don't upgrade to 2.1 though if you are using it on Maxis

Aaah, there is unlocked version in Singapore? How much, am I hearing RM2k?

Quote:

LOL this isn't as rude as it sounds from Fast Fred... I live 5 km from the heart of the largest city here... and the phone line craps out sometimes, electricity fluctuates a bit (got a few chargers burnt out a few times until I installed a UPS)... Because of the tropical thunderstorms lightning easily wipes out a few DSL modems and cordless phones in my neighbourhood every few months [telephone lines are above ground in most of inner-city and surrounding suburbs]. As mentioned, I'm not impressed with our national telco... It's kinda like AT&T

Tell me about it, Streamyx here sucks especially at my home, at night the internet line kept getting cut of, only at night though. Going to test out the new free public wifi after Ramadhan. But its cool to see the opposition is going to roll out WiMaX in Penang also, if Im not mistaken in 2 years time. Take that TMNut.

Quote:

Basically I grew up in Malaysia but like most of my childhood friends we had to travel widely to improve our education, work opportunities, and to grow our skills. Our parents now speak better English in some cases than today's teenagers here.

True true.

Oh yea for those who erm..dont know what is happening in Malaysia, we are a developing country and we do have our own problems but dont think that we are some un-developed 3rd world country.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Aaah, there is unlocked version in Singapore? How much, am I hearing RM2k?...

For full unlocked version from Singapore/ New Zealand (don't get that Turbo-Sim unlocked crap) ... around RM 2K to 3K+ depending on who you get it from...
  • Reply 40 of 42
    It does not mention in the article but the iPhone 3G is going on sale on the 26th of September as well.. The country's largest provider Turkcell (with 35 million + subscribed customers) and Vodafone have special events in Istanbul at 00:00 am this Friday.

One of the events will take place in Turkey's one of the biggest shopping centres in Istanbul. The event will take place between 4pm and 2am and there will be concerts, and some quizzes throughout the day.

You may udate the article with the information above.