Preview: Smart Dial app coming to the iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
We've been granted a sneak peek at an app by developer Gary Fung which is set to introduce smart dialling to the iPhone. Supposedly an often asked for feature, smart dialling allows you to quickly call a number by tapping in the name of a contact on the keypad. For instance, "John" would be 5646 in smart dial terms.

The app itself is almost identical to Apple's own Phone app, but with no favourites or voicemail. Other differences include a greener keypad and extremely assertive dial tones when you push in a number.

Smart Dial recognises partial matches in numbers too - which is nice if you're dialling in somebody's second name, and allows you to change priorities of certain numbers (for instance, to show recent numbers first, or to choose Mobile numbers over Work numbers).

Smart Dial is approved for the App Store, neatly passing through Apple's splenetic approval process, and should be available in the coming days for $2.99. Those interested would do well to check the developer's website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

We've been granted a sneak peek at an app by developer Gary Fung which is set to introduce smart dialling to the iPhone. Supposedly an often asked for feature, smart dialling allows you to quickly call a number by tapping in the name of a contact on the keypad. For instance, "John" would be 5646 in smart dial terms.

The app itself is almost identical to Apple's own Phone app, but with no favourites or voicemail. Other differences include a greener keypad and extremely assertive dial tones when you push in a number.

Smart Dial recognises partial matches in numbers too - which is nice if you're dialling in somebody's second name, and allows you to change priorities of certain numbers (for instance, to show recent numbers first, or to choose Mobile numbers over Work numbers).

Smart Dial is approved for the App Store, neatly passing through Apple's splenetic approval process, and should be available in the coming days for $2.99. Those interested would do well to check the developer's website.

I can't believe someone actually wrote this. Now i'm a happy camper
  • Reply 2 of 4
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    voice dialing is the answer, i don't want to fumble with my phone to make a call, favorites or any other "smart dialing" requires me to handle to phone, i don't want to do that while driving,

VOICE DIALING PLEASE.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

voice dialing is the answer, i don't want to fumble with my phone to make a call, favorites or any other "smart dialing" requires me to handle to phone, i don't want to do that while driving,

VOICE DIALING PLEASE.

There are already two voice dial apps on appstore? No need to get angry
  • Reply 4 of 4
    The funny thing is that this great app has still not made it to the app store!

It is funny because what is the reason that Apple does not allow it?

There are actually two apps waiting:

1 ) Gary Fung: http://web.me.com/everything/appstore/Smart_Dial.html

2) Shimon Shnitzer: http://shsh.com/wordpress/?p=117

And if you want to spend USD 45 you can have Kate on a jailbroken phone:

http://ripdev.com/kate

It is a shame that Apple is not allowing the those two apps.

Does anyone now what we can do to help those apps to be released?

Spontanous,

DKWien