Japanese iPhone 3G sales better than reported

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I was looking at the Sonic Lighter app and saw that of all the cities and countries that have users, Japan is leading by far for the most lighter ignitions. I'm puzzled over that fact.

http://app.smule.com/soniclighter/sonicnetwork/

So even though the Japan's iPhone density shouldn't be very high, the lighter use is three times that of most cities in the world. Maybe the Japanese have been promoting the use by word of mouth or over the internet. It would be nice if this app were to drive iPhone sales in Japan.

This is absolutely no surprise. Japanese are the most chronic smokers IMHO. The Sonic Lighter stat is simply a per capita statistic.
  • Reply 22 of 76
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhone 3G shipments in line with expectations

However, an independent market research cited in The Australian indicated that iPhone sales were on track. ?Gerhard Fasol, of telecoms consultancy Eurotechnology Japan, estimates they [Softbank] shifted between 75,000 and 125,000 units in July. At that rate, he thinks 2008 sales could total between 645,000 and 1 million."

The majority of the articles that Prince McLean writes are garbage, iPhones are better than expected because someone estimated something, and something thinks something.

I bet the competitors are scared because of that...
  • Reply 23 of 76
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    There are a few things Apple could do in software quite easily to boost iPhone popularity in Japan, such as including emoji (which are essential in Japanese email messaging), and the ability to read those square barcodes which are absolutely *everywhere* in Japan. To be honest it's at best stupid and at worst ignorant and rude to have not included these in the Japanese iPhone in the first place.

I don't think 1Seg is a big deal as not many Japanese seem to use it, at least from my experience in Tokyo, and the reception on it is crappy anyway.

There is one factor which Apple is in a tight spot over though - fashion. Japanese phones are all flip phones, and they all look identical. It doesn't matter which manufacturer is behind a phone, it will look exactly the same as ever other JP flip phone. Herd mentality I guess, everyone uses very tall flip phones in Japan and anything else seems to hold little interest.

One more thing - everyone in Japan, from tired old salarymen to hyper fashionable school girls have little bits of junk dangling from the side of their keitai. The iPhone has no little loop to hang stuff from. Sounds silly but you should see how many little cute anime characters and the like people hang from their phones in Japan. It's bordering on ridiculous.
  • Reply 24 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

The majority of the articles that Prince McLean writes are garbage, iPhones are better than expected because someone estimated something, and something thinks something.

I bet the competitors are scared because of that...

I agree, this article is disappointing. Regurgitated questionable second hand source stuff, no hard numbers or analysis. Useless.
  • Reply 25 of 76
    Just like Bush and Mc Cain told us up until last week that our Economy was Strong and Sound. Believe and trust Quality always. Get your news form trusted credible sources that have a track record that speaks for itself - Like Apple.

Now if only we could get portals and news sources to certify their sources and writers, get graded accordingly and publicly based on the QUALITY and credibility of what they put out there...

That and consumers that actually reward quality, demand substance and ignore trash we might get back to sanity and smarten up again from the dumbed down gluttons that we have become - believing in any mass hysteria and ignorant gossip.

Here's another good example of substance which really goes to the heart of illustrating Quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8__aXxXPVc
  • Reply 26 of 76
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Hey iphone hater how are you, Apple and the iphone will keep feeding your trolling self humble pies, going on different forums to hate on a phone, what a bloody joke.

Funny that not another single individual in this thread actually believe this article.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

This has to be a running joke.

First it was a smokin' debut complete with gang buster line ups, gazillions of reporters and storm troopers then it was low sales now it's back up.

Which is it? Oh wait...tell us after you made your next buy/sell.

Does anyone actually believe numbers anyway?

But are these conflicting reports from the same groups? Don't tie together unrelated entities just because the numbers are made by people with the same job title. I think it's most likely that analyst A says up, B says down, C says up, and you're suggesting that they are all the same people when the reality is more complicated than that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kirasaw View Post

We need the SEC to start investigating reporters and publications who write article based not on facts but on speculation. Are these people short on Apple stock or do they have a motive to see Apple stock fall if so they are violating the law and should be jailed. Wall street has run amuck with lies and speculative reporting to cause common investors to lose money while these crooks make money from the down fall on business.

I think they need probable cause, I don't think these articles qualify. Without probable cause, it's just advocating an abridgment of first amendment rights.
  • Reply 28 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) If Takeshi Natsuno, the inventor of Japan?s i-mode mobile web service and former Senior Vice President NTT DoCoMo, stated in an interview, ?I believe the iPhone is closer to the mobile phone of the future, compared with the latest Japanese mobile phones.?, then that is a huge win for the iPhone in Japan.

2) I look forward to seeing how Nokia will react to this news. They certainly have the technical prowess to made headway in the Japanese market.

3) This has got to being off their rivals.

4) What can was expect from the iPhone next Summer? A built-in TV over 3G, terrestrial, satellite receiver (or however the Japanese do it), A better camera with integrated or separate barcode reader? HYC G1 can already use standard barcodes for value shopping so I see no reasoning why QR Codes cant be included for the Japanese market.

The bar code reader or QR code reader would likely just be an app.
  • Reply 29 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I didn't even notice any of the rampant typos in my post and I have absolutely no idea what my 3rd point is. I think I should stop replying with my iPhone while mobileSafari still crashes as often as it does.
  • Reply 30 of 76
    Quote:

I didn't even notice any of the rampant typos in my post and I have absolutely no idea what my 3rd point is. I think I should stop replying with my iPhone while mobileSafari still crashes as often as it does.

I hear you. I don't know what other people's experiences are, but mobile Safari is the least reliable web browser I've ever seen. What's the half-life anyway, ten minutes?
  • Reply 31 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I hear you. I don't know what other people's experiences are, but mobile Safari is the least reliable web browser I've ever seen. What's the half-life anyway, ten minutes?

mobileSafari in OS X v2.x has been very unstable for me, but from about v1.0.3 to v1.1.4 I recall as being very stable, but my memory may be askew..
  • Reply 32 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

This has to be a running joke.

First it was a smokin' debut complete with gang buster line ups, gazillions of reporters and storm troopers then it was low sales now it's back up.

Which is it? Oh wait...tell us after you made your next buy/sell.

Does anyone actually believe numbers anyway?

Yes the serious flaw in the WSJ story is the premise that Apple expects to sell 1 million phones in its first quarter of sales. Apple never released these sales projections. Looking at sales of other foreign phone makers in Japan is a pretty unrealistic goal. Then the article goes on to say selling less than 1 million phones shows demand for the iPhone is slower than expected.

Essentially it sets up an unrealistic and unsubstantiated premise to then prove its central point.
  • Reply 33 of 76
    Quote:

mobileSafari in OS X v2.x has been very unstable for me, but from about v1.0.3 to v1.1.4 I recall as being very stable, but my memory may be askew..

I agree I would say Safari in v2 is less stable than v1. I agree it is annoying.
  • Reply 34 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There already is a bar code reader program called NeoReader. It works with the square bar codes called 2D codes. It shows that there is no reason why the phone can't do what any other phone can do with these. It's no biggie.

UPC codes require special lenses, which the iPhone, and most other phones don't have.
  • Reply 35 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yes the serious flaw in the WSJ story is the premise that Apple expects to sell 1 million phones in its first quarter of sales. Apple never released these sales projections. Looking at sales of other foreign phone makers in Japan is a pretty unrealistic goal. Then the article goes on to say selling less than 1 million phones shows demand for the iPhone is slower than expected.

Essentially it sets up an unrealistic and unsubstantiated premise to then prove its central point.

The WSJ article didn't say that Apple expects to sell 1 million iphones. The article said that analysts originally thought that Apple could sell 1 million iphones.
  • Reply 36 of 76
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

The WSJ article didn't say that Apple expects to sell 1 million iphones. The article said that analysts originally thought that Apple could sell 1 million iphones.

That's my point the analysts came up with the 1 million figure, not Apple.

The analysts decided Apple should sell 1 million phones in Japan. Then decided iPhone sales are slow when it doesn't. They have no idea what Apple actually expected to sell. They don't even know the actual number of iPhones sold.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    Quote:

That's my point the analysts came up with the 1 million figure, not Apple.

The analysts decided Apple should sell 1 million phones in Japan. Then decided iPhone sales are slow when it doesn't. They have no idea what Apple actually expected to sell. They don't even know the actual number of iPhones sold.

I didn't see anyone here questioning the analysts' initial estimates.

It's a little too late to now question their estimates.
  • Reply 38 of 76
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

I didn't see anyone here questioning the analysts' initial estimates.

It's a little too late to now question their estimates.

Why would their be a time limit on questioning their estimates?
  • Reply 39 of 76
    Quote:

Why would their be a time limit on questioning their estimates?

I can see samab's point though. Accepting a prediction that favors "your side" is something that people tend to do. Generally only scrutinize if it's not in favor of their position. Questioning a prediction only after it's turned out to be false doesn't take any foresight.
  • Reply 40 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I can see samab's point though. Accepting a prediction that favors "your side" is something that people tend to do. Generally only scrutinize if it's not in favor of their position. Questioning a prediction only after it's turned out to be false doesn't take any foresight.

Good point.