Apple shares tumble on downgrades from investment banks

Comments

• Reply 101 of 146
    I get the feeling a lot of folks here had money in AAPL and.... nothing else?

3 years ago, AAPL was worth about 50 bucks a share - did anyone here really think Apple shares were realistically going to stay in the $180-200 range? I'm no expert, but I really thought that was pretty unbelievable.

Everyone here seems to think that the stock is undervalued, but I'm not so sure, and wouldn't be surprised to see it get down to the $75 range until either Apple releases some products that are more feasible to folks with drastically reduced petty cash (if lots of people lose out on their retirement/education savings, that'll really hit vanity electronics), or the economy turns around/gets sorted out.

I'd say the devaluation of the stock also has a little bit to do with the court case going on in Norway (supported by Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Holland, etc.) which could require iTunes/iTunes media to be compatible with non-iPod media players.

With the economy as bad as it is, and only going to get worse, Apple could be in rough shape, especially if it's bread and butter iPods start to slip in their market share...

Anyways, I hope none of you bought in over the past 5 months! If so, you'll probably have lost half your money by the end of the week, and it'll be a tough decision to wait and see if the stock can double in a reasonable time period to make it worth tying up your cash!

And to everyone who thinks this is a conspiracy : if you also think there's an ounce of truth to the X-Files, or that the 9/11 planes were actually missiles launched by the CIA, maybe it's time you cut back on your internets.
  • Reply 102 of 146
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomaspin View Post

On August 4 in the Comments to this blog I referenced the coming global depression and its disastrous impact on AAPL's stock price. On that day AAPL closed at $153.23 and, of course, I was roundly trashed by many who seemed to misinterpret my comments as being in some way anti-Apple. As I write the stock is at $110.

Given that I use Apple products for all my computing needs that's not quite right, but no matter.

Let me reiterate what I wrote then. In a depression, no one needs a new computer. Worse, no one needs an expensive computer and, yes, for all the studies that prove that Macs are, feature-for-feature, cheaper than their Windows competition, a buyer in a tough economy tends to focus on price. When you can get a new Dell for what - $400? - even a $599 Mini with no screen looks costly by comparison, and hang the features.

Apple may well introduce a more inexpensive line for the holidays. With rising component prices and falling margins this will be a further negative for the stock and as PE ratios fall across the world and bankruptcies rise, the stock is simply either very high risk or a very long term hold. For the risk averse, cash remains king.

Disclosure: No AAPL position. 100% of position sold for $180 in July.

By the way, banning short sales in AAPL will simply accelerate the drop in the stock price as hedge funds sell their positions to fund accelerating withdrawals. Usual unintended consequence of populist politics.

On the bright side- at least you've learned that any criticism of anything related to Apple (policy, products, strategy, etc) on here equates to Apple bashing by the Kool-Aid Coalition.
  • Reply 103 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Let's take a look at the current (29.09.08) Apple Mac landscape:

Products that are SO long overdue an update that, quite frankly, it's embarrassing:

? Mac Mini

? MacBook

? MacBook Pro

? Cinema Display

Products that could do with an update soon:

? iMac

? Mac Pro

Products that are (fairly) up to date:

? MacBook Air

Products that are bang up to date:

? ?

We're in the middle of a full-on recession and it's no surprise that the analysts think that nobody is going to buy Apple's current products in any volume.

But hey, we've got multi-coloured iPods and an iPhone that should have been 3G a year ago.

You fail to mention the most important factor in all these products- $$PRICE$$.

The iPod price restructuring was a joke. Innovation is great but not if its unaffordable.
  • Reply 104 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Sorry Frankie, you have the wrong party to blame. Democrats are the party of the "little guy" remember? At least that's what they've been telling us for years anyway. And you do realize Al Gore is on the board of directors at Apple right?

Gore? The one who is most responsible for losing a walk-thru election by not mentioning once Clinton economic successes- EVER? He deserves a lot of this blame.
  • Reply 105 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roger Knights View Post

... It also means that, if Jobs announces his retirement, there won't be much downside left in AAPL, because the shorts have already "sold on the rumor" so heavily. Thus, then will be time to "buy on the news." Or earlier.

I don't know about that. IMO, people are kidding themselves if they think Apple can't go lower.

With the ban on short selling of financials it sure looks to me like the hedge funds are shorting all the tech high fliers. Look what happened to GOOG and RIM.

And I agree with the analysts. Apple have a terrible product mix for a recession.
  • Reply 106 of 146
    as long as the economy doesn't go to great depression levels i'll be more than fine.

i'll buy more stock at $80 [twice what i paid for it last time]

my fear is that at some point the ipod will be the walkman, as in "remember when everyone had a walkman?" just be sure to sell off before that happens.

VFM also includes resale value, fwiw, and apple ranks extremely high in the tech industry.
  • Reply 107 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Actually it was Clinton that started this mess - I know that makes all of this "it's Bush's fault" thing not quite as good but we should really be after facts - not political spin...

http://www.huduser.org/publications/txt/hdbrf2.txt

Also, the US would be better off if we stopped giving the rest of the world our money but nobody talks about that... The only reason we'd need help is because we've insisted on helping the rest of the world... But I suppose helping the country that's helped the most is out of the question huh?

What about when the banks got together and bought tons of the EURO because it had fallen to 80 cents per USD but they sat idly by and didn't give a crap as the USD fell to less than 70 cents per EURO...

If only Americans could spell, they could work on "Delusional".

The USA has NOT been giving the rest of the world "our" money. It has been borrowing massively to blow it all on extraordinary waste, ludicrous mountains of consumer products and wars of adventures against countries it has trouble spelling let alone finding on the map.

If the statement was to suggest the USA is a massive Aid donor, it is not that either. In fact it is the most miserly of donors of all developed nations and what it gives is usually military aid or agricultural aid designed to maximise the benefit to US farmers and maximise the harm to the economy of the recipient countries.

With the USA heading to bankruptcy it maybe time to go on a debt diet, starting with reviewing some of those purchases you really couldn't afford. Unfortunately there won't be a market for used plasma TVs, houses made out of ticky-tacky and gas guzzling SUVs, so you may have to see what you can get for the Louisiana Purchase, New Mexico, California and Alaska.

You probably won't get enough to pay off your debts, so some of your children will just have to be put into sweatshops making sneakers and brand name T-Shirts. A task for which they will be useless until they lose some weight and attitude. The rest of you will have to sell yourselves to the sex trade. Moldavia and the Ukraine already have some of the infrastructure and management in place to help you there.

If you are looking for any sympathy or good will, remember "You're either with us or ag'in us!"
  • Reply 108 of 146
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Ugh, staying away from the politics. Also, blaming politicians for playing the blame game is circular if you ask me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Funny how she mentioned sub-$1,000 just as rumors about a possible new notebook refresh and possible desktop with price cuts. which will bring the MacBook basic configuration below $1,000. Beside, Apple already have sub-$1,000 computer called Mac Mini but I guess cheap computers should also be ugly and noisy to qualify as cheap.

Apple's desktops tend to get ignored, relatively speaking anyway. A cheaper notebook would make a bigger splash. Notebooks are about 60-65% of Apple's computer business by units.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

LOL. Looks like I was right.

Don't claim a win until it actually hits your specific predictions. Your original predictions were for "around $90", others said "between $85 and $95". Only later were you fudging the numbers upwards to make your predictions fit the data and say that's what you predicted all along. You even called $118 "pretty close" even though it doesn't fall within that range, nevermind get close. Even $105 isn't close enough to $95 especially given you were specific enough to give a range.
  • Reply 109 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

If only Americans could spell, they could work on "Delusional".

The USA has NOT been giving the rest of the world

We understand jealousy and envy. You don't have to love us. It's fine that you love our economy and our world-class computer companies. You may have heard of one called Apple?

We also can't help that the world seeks a flight to quality with our treasuries. I mean, we put them out there and Japan and China just can't get enough! It is a free market and countries are free to purchase as they please.

With a 14 trillion dollar economy that's the most innovative in the world and a stable political system, who can blame them! Why do you think Apple is based here? We are the land of iPods.
  • Reply 110 of 146
    Does anyone else find it interesting the a company as fundamentally sound as Apple can get its balls kicked so badly by an industry (investment banking) so fundamentally unsound that it is in the middle of a hairball that threatens to bring the whole country to its knees. Why does anybody listen to any of these guys any more?
  • Reply 111 of 146
    I just hope that Ma and Pa investors got out of Apple's stock in time to avoid what's coming. When hedge funds sell the remainder of their Apple stocks, it won't be pretty...

Apple computers are overpriced by $300 to $500.

Steve Jobs lined his pockets with a $1 billion back dated stock option bonus and spread another $1 billion among his puppet Vice-Presidents. That's why everything Apple is so expensive.

Going forward, either the company will compete and lower its prices, or it will die a slow death, being limited to a 5% market share of Mac faithfuls.

\\\
  • Reply 112 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

We understand jealousy and envy. You don't have to love us. It's fine that you love our economy and our world-class computer companies. You may have heard of one called Apple?

We also can't help that the world seeks a flight to quality with our treasuries. I mean, we put them out there and Japan and China just can't get enough! It is a free market and countries are free to purchase as they please.

With a 14 trillion dollar economy that's the most innovative in the world and a stable political system, who can blame them! Why do you think Apple is based here? We are the land of iPods.

Mumble, mumble mumble.

I don't think you know how far into debt you are.

You are like the fat pudgy middle aged guy looking into the mirror and seeing a bronzed young athlete.

btw The hand-on-heart-flag thing doesn't work outside the USA, we weren't fed the bowl of dog food when the bell rang as youngsters.
  • Reply 113 of 146
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

I just hope that Ma and Pa investors got out of Apple's stock in time to avoid what's coming. When hedge funds sell the remainder of their Apple stocks, it won't be pretty...

Apple computers are overpriced by $300 to $500.

Steve Jobs lined his pockets with a $1 billion back dated stock option bonus and spread another $1 billion among his puppet Vice-Presidents. That's why everything Apple is so expensive.

Going forward, either the company will compete and lower its prices, or it will die a slow death, being limited to a 5% market share of Mac faithfuls.

\\\

Here comes the useless trool know it all and his obsession with Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 114 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Here comes the useless trool know it all and his obsession with Steve Jobs.

I don't agree with his assessment that Apple is on its knees but he has hit on 2 sore points.

Steve Jobs is virtually synonymous with the modern successful Apple and will leave it headless when he goes, and he and the board of directors have bled away a massive part of the profits, just as the CEOs and execs of the major finance institutions have done.

Both can make Apple vulnerable if the tide and economy turn against the luxury end of the market.
  • Reply 115 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Wait - did you actually read the link or just comment on it? Clinton supporting the giving of loans to people who shouldn't have loans! The market was doing what it was supposed to do. It wasn't giving loans to people who shouldn't have them and then people wanted the market to go crazy and make everybody feel all happy so we started giving out all these loans to people who can't afford them. The "creative" financing Clinton supported was the beginning of the end for this. I'm sure people love to see home ownership going up and up but let's face it, not everybody makes enough money to own a house.

The article I linked to told how we got started on this slippery slope, but the damage during the first eight (say) years was relatively minor. It could even be argued that the price to Fannie & Freddie from absorbing the losses on bad loans was outweighed by the social benefits of more widespread home ownership. The real danger emerged when lending standards were loosened further, especially in conjunction with a rise of house prices way above their historic relationship to income levels, making the possibility of a catastrophic (to lenders) price decline more likely. (And furthermore when the Fed kept the interest rate so low that there was lots of credit available.) This loosening of creditworthiness was mainly the fault of the current administration, because it happened on its watch.

And it may have done more than silently acquiesce in the practice. About three (?) months ago I read a newspaper story claiming that an official at Fannie said that HUD had, in recent years, twisted Fannie's arm to make it accept low-quality loans. HUD denied it (natch). Another mark against the current administration, or anyway against Greenspan, was his opposition to reining in the use of derivatives. These, combined with low-quality loans and overpriced houses, created a towering house of cards that threatens to crush us if it falls.

OTOH, the administration might have acted more responsibly if it hadn't feared that it would be pilloried by the opposition for acting like a party pooper, Scrooge, or worse.
  • Reply 116 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

You are like the fat pudgy middle aged guy looking into the mirror and seeing a bronzed young athlete.

LMAOROF

I gotta use this sometime...oh my!
  • Reply 117 of 146
    Quote:

In a depression, no one needs a new computer. Worse, no one needs an expensive computer and, yes, for all the studies that prove that Macs are, feature-for-feature, cheaper than their Windows competition, a buyer in a tough economy tends to focus on price. When you can get a new Dell for what - $400? - even a $599 Mini with no screen looks costly by comparison, and hang the features.

You don't seem to understand that hardware features are not the issue when you buy a Mac. It is the software that counts, it makes you productive, you can make a better impression, and possibly start a creative career. This is the perception of buying a Mac. The quality of the software and years of (word of mouth) advertising made it so.

Quote:

Apple may well introduce a more inexpensive line for the holidays. With rising component prices and falling margins this will be a further negative for the stock and as PE ratios fall across the world and bankruptcies rise, the stock is simply either very high risk or a very long term hold. For the risk averse, cash remains king.

Yep, and the world will come to an end tomorrow.
  • Reply 118 of 146
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    LOL

I remember saying at the beginning of the summer Apple was going to hit $99.00 in a matter of months. I don't post much. You can click my name and find the post very easily.

I'd like to say I told you so to all the people who insulted me and are losing their shirts.

"Told you so" feels good once and a while.

I'm still saying it will tank even lower.

The crash crash hasn't come yet. For APPL there is a psychological resistance at around $100. All stocks usually have a psychological resistance on nice round numbers. Especially $100.

If it drops below say $93.00 watch for the sky to fall.
  • Reply 119 of 146
    How may this crisis affect Apples release schedule?

Will they delay the introduction of their new laptops - trying to avoid releasing high end products while "the market" is screaming for cheapish low end netbooks?

Thoughts?
  • Reply 120 of 146
    With ALL companies share prices tumbling and "economic chaos" rampant around the world, Apple is poised with lots of cash. I expect to see lots of quiet announcements of high-quality software and hardware firms being purchased on the cheap by Apple, giving them even greater leverage to compete more efficiently. My guess is we'll most likely see acquisitions in the pro apps, and chip designers (maybe video boards, too), and system utilities that can be evolved into part of the OS offering.

As for the economics and politics "debate" -- my two cents.
    • Stupid people made bad loans.

• REALLY stupid people used their homes for cash to buy non-durable goods.

• Greedy bankers invested in the stupid loans.

• Stupid and greedy politicians (uhh, that means ALL of them, in every country) can't legislate intelligence they don't already possess.

• The current war in the Middle East was started by Saddam Hussein when he invaded Kuwait. It is now perpetuated by fundamentalist religious zealots seeking to grab regional power and money, and who are fighting the coalition forces who are there to contain them to an area that will limit the chances of physical harm to their own populations.