Apple settles class-action suit over faulty notebook adapters

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has agreed, without admitting fault, to settle a class-action lawsuit alleging that power adapters sold with certain Power PC-based iBook and PowerBook notebooks were defective in that they could dangerously fray, sparks and prematurely fail to work.

The settlement offers to provide a cash payment to customers who purchased certain model Apple PowerBook or iBook computers, had their power adapter fail within the first three years following the initial retail purchase, and then purchased a replacement adapter.

A website dedicated to the settlement offers a list of serial number codes [PDF] of affected models and helpful resources to aid potential class members in locating the serial number on their Mac notebooks.

Customers that meet the criteria of a class member and who wish to file a claim must print, complete, sign and mail the Claim Form to the Claims Administrator postmarked by February 11, 2009 for Replacement Adapters purchased on or before October 14, 2008.

For filing a claim for a Replacement Adapter purchased after October 14, class members must print, complete, sign and mail the Claim Form to the Claims Administrator postmarked within 120 days of the adapter failure OR by May 31, 2009, whichever date is earlier.

A frayed PowerBook G4 Power Adapter | Source: EdTechBlog.

Deadlines for excluding oneself from the settlement, objecting to the settlement, and so forth, are available in this table. A list of frequently asked questions regarding the case is also available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Eh well, I had this happen to me twice but I've moved on to a Kensington adapater that works in my vehicle, on a plane and has an iPod adapter to work with my iPhone and iPod. Much, much better than the iBrick. It's also one of the reasons I'm hesitant about getting a new laptop since, apparently, the magsafe stuff is under patent.

EDIT: Just re-read it. Cash payment? Sweet! I'm all over that!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    So what do I do now that I don't have the receipts for the three adapters I bought (I still have the broken adapters though!) and no longer have the computers that I bought them for?

Yep, screwed.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    That's ok.

now, dear apple, can you do something for all the macbook pro with faulted nvidia 8600m gt chips all around the world? Please do ora say something about? We are all waiting...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I received an email about this subject from the lawyers that filed the CAL. While everyone that was inconvenienced by this issue gets their money back, the lawyers rake in a cool $850,000.00. I'm sure that their efforts were worth every penny.

TMV
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I live in The Netherlands and the sparking thing happened to me a year or two back. Luckily I was at home at the time, so I was able to rapidly unplug the power adapter. I called Apple and they reacted pretty dismissive to my story.

Anyway, I was wondering: does this class action suit have any impact on me? Can I participate in the settlement? Or is this US-only?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    First time post, This is for the U.S. only for now. I just bought a used PowerBook and the former owner included everything for the laptop including 3 power adapters, 2 broken Apple adapters and a new after market adapter that is much beefier at the ends.

I just e-mailed the former owner with the info so at least he can get something back for the defective item.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    rod76rod76 Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

So what do I do now that I don't have the receipts for the three adapters I bought (I still have the broken adapters though!) and no longer have the computers that I bought them for?

Yep, screwed.

I'm in your boat, I can't find the receipt for my replacement Power Supply. I'm going to keep the receipts next time. The Mag Safe power adapters appear to have similar issues and it's only a matter of time before I'll be staring at another PDF claim form.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rod76 View Post

I'm in your boat, I can't find the receipt for my replacement Power Supply. I'm going to keep the receipts next time. The Mag Safe power adapters appear to have similar issues and it's only a matter of time before I'll be staring at another PDF claim form.

That's why I love my emailed receipts from the Apple Store. I just printed out all 3 of mine.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

That's why I love my emailed receipts from the Apple Store. I just printed out all 3 of mine.

I bought all of mine from CompUSA... good luck finding anything from them around...\
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Dang, I deleted the email they sent thinking it was spam.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

From the FAQ: There is a limit of one cash payment per Subject Computer.

Your adapter had to fail within 3 years of purchase to be included. My failed at end of year 2. $40 would be my settlement. Close reading of the suit means it may or may not get done at the end of 2008 - depending on the appeal process.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    "Certain" iBooks and PowerBooks would be an understatement. I'd say it was most of them.

I'm really surprised there weren't fires and more serious damage done. We had at least a half dozen of these go in our work group. I heard two stories about sparks flying and had a near overheating incident with my own ... the CPU was running hot, fan was blowing like crazy ... then I realized the power cable had changed color to brownish. Near the end, Apple was replacing them under warranty if we sent them in, but we did end up buying new ones as well.

Apple's current design, at least on the MacBook Pro isn't much better.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    That iBook and Powerbook official serial number list I think covers almost all models, it's a huge list of serials!

Good news: My parents' iBook G4 is covered.

Bad news: I ain't in the good ol' US of A.

I want my $25 dammnit! LOLs.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ByronVanArsdale View Post

...$40 would be my settlement. Close reading of the suit means it may or may not get done at the end of 2008 - depending on the appeal process.

Hey, that shouldn't stop you... If you were on Wall Street, you'd account for $30 of that $40 today, then leverage that $30 to borrow $3,000 to then short sell something or other to show that you made $30,000 in one day. Charger? What laptop charger? You just "made" $30,000!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

...Apple's current design, at least on the MacBook Pro isn't much better.

The MacBook Pro is a nice, high-performance machine. However, I understand the bugs it has been constantly plagued by. Penryn was essential, but the nVidia phailures have not been good.

As a whole, the MBP has got a notorious track record. A few drops or bumps and your nice aluminium has some bumpity-bumps on the surface.

The overall quality control for MacBook Pros has not been great either.

I know why Apple is taking so long. For the most part, the MacBook Air has been pretty impressive in terms of design. Steve is waiting to pull the trigger on the MacBook and MacBook Pro... to do that "margin" cut to deliver affordable, quality laptops. He may push it back to Jan 2009 just to make sure everything is right. Which means definitely a speed bump by end of this month, otherwise, who knows... This "new MacBooks" rumor has been around for too many months now, I'm starting to feel a little sick of it.

Many of the iPhone 3G complaints have not been about hardware quality or hardware failures. Now Steve, let's share some Apple love for the portable Macs...