Apple TV 2.2 update delivers HDTV shows, Genius support

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
www.apple.com/appletv

Buy HD tv shows, genius playlists... looks like some nice interface improvements as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They are setting the stage for their own TV, all it is is time now. It's coming.

Those interface improvements may be in your head however.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Those interface improvements may be in your head however.

nah, it's got a few more menu items it seems. "Standby" in the settings menu. And was "Log in" in YouTube before this update?

Also, I think the photo browser is a little different now.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Just wish I could download the update. I've been checking for two weeks (hoping Apple might have snuck an update in), and even this morning I'm getting, "Apple TV can't check right now. Try again later." This, even though I can still access the store.

I don't know if it's got anything to do with the fact that it's been ATVFlashed or not, but I thought their hacks were supposed to allow all existing functionality (including updates) to be intact.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Alongside iTunes 8.0.1 late Thursday evening, Apple also released Apple TV 2.2, a new version of its set-top-box software that delivers support for purchasing and downloading HD television shows as well as support for the new iTunes Genius feature.

In a support document that was briefly posted to its website (but since removed), Apple said the update also addressed a couple of security issues, such as unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution when viewing a maliciously crafted movie file. A similar issue having to do with malicious PICT image files was also said to have been fixed.

In terms of new features, Apple TV 2.2 now lets users purchase and download HD television shows directly from the media hub, most of which are priced at $2.99. Previously, Apple TV only included support for browsing the iTunes Store's collection of standard definition shows.

Support for the Genius recommendation engine introduced last month alongside new iPods and iTunes 8 is also baked in. Holding down the menu button on the Apple TV remote while a song is playing -- or while on the Now Playing screen -- will present options for ?Start Genius? or ?Add To On-The-Go.? Genius playlists are visible under a sub-menu of Apple TV's "My Music" menu.

Separately, AppleInsider forum members have located a "Standby" option introduced with the new software, as well as several other interface tweaks to components such as YouTube and the photo browser.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

... don't know if it's got anything to do with the fact that it's been ATVFlashed or not, but I thought their hacks were supposed to allow all existing functionality (including updates) to be intact.

Yes it does, I had the same issue when upgrading to 2.1. You've got to reset your ATV and wipe it clean, unfortunately you'll loose your all your Favorites and YouTube history.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Yes it does, I had the same issue when upgrading to 2.1. You've got to reset your ATV and wipe it clean, unfortunately you'll loose your all your Favorites and YouTube history.

Well my Apple TV has not been ATVFlashed, and I'm getting the same "try again later," message.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Finally this update fixed one major issue for me. Some movies from the iTunes store such as Hacking Democracy would not decode properly and play a green corrupt video! The sound played fine but the video was corrupt, the same video would play fine in my iTunes app on my Mac. This same problem also affected some video podcasts such as some shows in TEDTalks.

It was driving me nuts, but now it's all good and I'm er
  • Reply 8 of 11
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Apple TV Junkie is reporting that playlists created in iTunes containing music videos are now supported.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Apple TV Junkie is reporting that playlists created in iTunes containing music videos are now supported.

Fantastic- and movie and TV playlists as well?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    so can we look at photos in a grid view now or is it still just slide show only. also does anyone know how to create a genius play list on the ATV?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    What a waste of time this update is..Check out the Apple support forums & see the thousands of posts complaining about how this update "Bricked" their box, including mine..I cannot believe that Apple released this. Do not install this update unless you're willing to risk being forced to perform a restore & spend hours getting all your stuff reloaded..