Latest iPhone Software supports full-screen Web apps

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Isn?t possible to publish, for downloading, in one zip file the whole source code ?

Best Regards,

Dominique.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dominik67 View Post

Isn?t possible to publish, for downloading, in one zip file the whole source code ?

Best Regards,

Dominique.

The webapp.net Demo app and all source are available on their site.

However, as I mentioned above, this is only a good solution if it is only intended for use on Safari and Firefox.

It is not compatible with Internet Explorer.

Another solution that is compatible with Interent Explorer and probably a bit more polished is iUI.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reaperducer View Post

I just inserted that <meta> into the HAIF CW39 Houston Weather forecast web app and it works really well! Thanks for that.

Same problem I have, though. If you click any link, it takes you out of there and drops you into a Safari page. Quite annoying.

Any way around that?
  • Reply 24 of 38
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

If you have any apps left over from the 2.0.1 or 2.0.2 days, sometimes its best to delete them and do a fresh install. That has solved a great deal of my crashing problems.

Thanks for the tip. I've only got new fresh apps though, and not many of them. (Two pages) There's about one crash a day (or more if I use the apps more). So I guess it's just like any computer platform with developers just getting started. They release buggy software, and optimize them over time.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

That's because AppStore GoldRush Fever? hasn't subsided yet.

In a few months the novelty will wear off and developers will go back to choosing the best tool for the job.

In many cases that is a web app.

I'm glad to see this as it gives more parity between native and web apps on the iPlatform?.

Web apps already had 12 months of head start. What more could you reasonably want?

Web apps are fine in many circumstances, especially if it needs up-to-the-minute data from the internet anyway. But I would prefer a local app with local data for other circumstances, it's no fun to try to access a web app when the internet signal is weak or nonexistent, doubly so if the data is largely static.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pikey View Post

For those of you with jailbroken phones, you can make any webclip do this by editing the plist file for the webclip, found in /private/var/mobile/Library/WebClips/ to include

\t<key>FullScreen</key>

\t<true/>

and then respringing your phone.

Every way I try to do this causes the webapp to no longer work. The icon turns to black and doesn't launch.

I've tried vi on the phone itself, I've tried copying the file to my Mac and editing it there and moving it back.

When I used vi, i got a message that said "DB_CREATE must be specified to create databases."

Is there a trick to editing this plist that I'm missing?
  • Reply 27 of 38
    nlrznlrz Posts: 11member
    Anyone know how to make an offline web app? Would only setting the http "cache-control" header to "public" work?
  • Reply 28 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Hello to all the new people.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    jbwkjbwk Posts: 1member
    Nothing undocumented here. See

https://developer.apple.com/webapps/...002051-CH3-SW2

I thought this was common knowledge? It's even possible to change the status bar style (black translucent for example)
  • Reply 30 of 38
    This is a nice idea, but unfortunately running webapps in this fullscreen mode seems to disable orientation events ... so you can't have a landscape version aswell as portrait
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickmel View Post

Same problem I have, though. If you click any link, it takes you out of there and drops you into a Safari page. Quite annoying.

Any way around that?

That is because Apple wants people to develop Ajax Webapps or some sort of self sufficient app. I don't think there is an immediate way to avoid this.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

Anyone think there is still a chance they would let you have offline web apps? This would be a good way to make use of those.

Yes I'd read some info that Apple told developers this would be coming with Safari 4. It was likely under NDA so no one is widely talking about it.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why isn't Apple's own Web Apps page for the iPhone not formatted for the iPhone.

I agree. Apple should have a web app store designed like the native app store. The current site is difficult to navigate on the iPhone.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Web apps already had 12 months of head start. What more could you reasonably want?

I can see the point that all of the hype has shifted to native apps. I agree several of those native apps would work fine as web apps. Because many of them are just a front end UI that connect to a database.

Quote:

Web apps are fine in many circumstances, especially if it needs up-to-the-minute data from the internet anyway. But I would prefer a local app with local data for other circumstances, it's no fun to try to access a web app when the internet signal is weak or nonexistent, doubly so if the data is largely static.

From what I've read offline web apps will be a reality when webkit fully utilizes HTML 5 in Safari 4.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

Where's my cut and paste????

(Happy now?)

Nobody needs cut and paste.

Nobody needs third party iPhone applications.

There will be no iPhone SDK.

Web apps are really, really SWEET.

Apple will not enter the cell phone market.

Balance in the universe restored.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leorou View Post

That is because Apple wants people to develop Ajax Webapps or some sort of self sufficient app. I don't think there is an immediate way to avoid this.

I'm trying to keep my mobile sites as platform-independent as possible. I like them to work well on iPhone, but also work for Blackberry, Nokia N95, WinMo, etc. It seems like making them with more ajax will kill that compatibility.

I want the best of both worlds, please.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

This new implementation doesn't use Safari, but creates a simple self-contained application that uses a WebKit view to display the web page. This means of course, there's no Safari browser interface, such as the address bar, search field, bookmarks, etc.

Self-contained application? No, that would be more like a MS .hta web app, which can actually access local files, etc.

Seems more like this meta-tag simply turns off the Safari browser chrome.

?