Google Street View, auto-correction prefs in iPhone OS 2.2 beta

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A list of enhancements that may arrive in the next version of the iPhone operating system continues to grow with the unearthing of Google Street View support and an auto-correction toggle hidden in the most recent beta of the software.

Last week AppleInsider reported that the first private beta of iPhone Software 2.2 included a redesigned Safari address bar, as well as a new version of the App Store application with interface tweaks and a new bug report feature.

While those changes are visible to developers testing the software, a post at MacRumors details support for a few other features that have thus far remain inaccessible to developers, as they're not yet fully activated in the betas.

Among them is a preference to turn off the iPhone's text auto-correction. A request for this functionality was recently the subject of an online petition that has since received over 20,000 signatures.

Another feature is support for Google Street View in the iPhone's Maps application. Street View provides 360 degree panoramic views of major cities and their surrounding metropolitan areas using still photographs that have been stitched together. Google and T-Mobile recently highlighted support for Street Views on the G1 -- the first Android-based handset due to go on sale later this month.

Separately, and most critically, iPhone Software 2.2 appears to contain the groundwork for emoji icon support. Emoji is a form of Japanese clip art that can be inserted in sentences to spruce up email messages. A lack of emoji support was recently cited by the Wall Street Journal as one of the barriers to adoption faced by the iPhone in Japan.

Apple has offered no indication of when it plans to release iPhone Software version 2.2 and it's unclear whether the aforementioned features will be included in the release or held back for a future update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    mlpmlp Posts: 5member
    Does iPhone come with a digital compass that allows 360 degrees street view?
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Has anyone started an online petition for cut-n-paste yet?
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Has anyone experienced mail push problems with software 2.1? Even though I have PUSH on and check every fifteen minutes I still have to open the mail and engage the check mail...

Matt
  • Reply 4 of 42
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    screw all of that crap, I want background push for apps so I can have my messenger clients running etc.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    OMG Why the hell would anyone want to turn off auto-correct? The iPhone keyboard would be almost useless without it.

I could see someone wanting to be able to edit the rules or the dictionary it uses, but merely turning it off will do nothing but make typing next to impossible.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    jsonjson Posts: 54member
    Fixes:

1) Snappier. Yes, the dreaded s-word. Version 2.1 is simply NOT snappy in any way, shape or form. Launching apps is really slow, there are even slow downs when entering text. Restarting the phone partially fixes the problem for a time. A DFU restore without putting the backup back has not helped.

2) International language support. The spell checker for Swedish still makes REALLY strange suggestions from time to time, including things that are not valid words, and some words are simply not possible to write (impossible to hit a specific key) without spelling it wrong and then go back and correct it. And it doesn't learn.

3) No more Safari crashes.

4) Make the iPod remember the currently playing song, even if it is paused and other applications have been run before returning to the iPod. I mean, how difficult is it to write the current song data to the flash?

New functions:

1) Cut&Paste. In all applications that handle text.

2) The possibility to send addresses and calendar appointments in e-mails.

3) Push notifications for third party apps.

4) Possibility to use MobileMe aliases in the mail app. Possibility to set and clear flags in the mail app. Possibility to set an email as "unread" in the mail app.

For future releases:

1) Search (i.e. "spotlight").

2) Possibility to insert items (photos, addresses etc. etc.) while writing an e-mail.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

OMG Why the hell would anyone want to turn off auto-correct? The iPhone keyboard would be almost useless without it.

I could see someone wanting to be able to edit the rules or the dictionary it uses, but merely turning it off will do nothing but make typing next to impossible.

Have to disagree on that. I'm really tired of the autocorrect and a number of my co-workers feel the same. I jailbroke my phone just for this reason...
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:

Someone who's typing in Finnish, for example, would definitely want to turn the thing off. But, on the other hand, I don't want to go to the settings menu each time I change the language I type in.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by json View Post

4) [...] Possibility to set an email as "unread" in the mail app.

That's already possible. Not as bulk, but from within the single message.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Personally, I'd really like it if the Italian dictionary stopped suggesting words and spelling that are incorrect, less common forms, or simply not Italian. That would mean hiring people who are actually familiar with the Italian language. If they did, they could also fix some embarrassing translations in Mac OS X and various applications.

(I'm actually criticizing Apple. Must be having a tough day.)
  • Reply 11 of 42
    jsonjson Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antiorario View Post

That's already possible. Not as bulk, but from within the single message.

OK, one more point to my list of fixes: Get the user (i.e. me) to check out the current functionality more thoroughly before asking for new functions.

• Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by json View Post

OK, one more point to my list of fixes: Get the user (i.e. me) to check out the current functionality more thoroughly before asking for new functions.

Hey, happens to the best of us. It probably just means you are slightly happier with your iPhone than you were a few minutes ago.

• Reply 13 of 42
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Perfect reason: The iPhone constantly tries to auto-correct words that you intend to type, which are spelled correctly, but the iPhone doesn't know that and drops in the word that it wants because if you continue to type, like most peope do, the iPhone drops in its own words unless you catch it and tap the X. For example, tried to type the word "Yummy" and the iPhone auto corrected with "Tummy"

If you type well, typing will go much faster without having to stop to dismiss the iPhones incorrect suggestions and auto-fill.

If the option is added, then you can leave it on.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Don't count on the Google Street View coming to the iPhone since Street View requires Adobe Flash. Unless Adobe can finish their Flash Player for the iPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Don't count on the Google Street View coming to the iPhone since Street View requires Adobe Flash. Unless Adobe can finish their Flash Player for the iPhone.

Street View on a desktop web browser requires Flash.

The Android and BlackBerry don't use Flash to display Street View.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The current implementation, perhaps. It's entirely possible to download the data and use Objective-C to render it.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

Street View on a desktop web browser requires Flash.

The Android and BlackBerry don't use Flash to display Street View.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

The current implementation, perhaps. It's entirely possible to download the data and use Objective-C to render it.

The iPhone's current Google Maps app and YouTube player don't use Flash so I agree that there is no reason to think that StreetView would require it.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't care for Google street view, we want copy & paste, end of.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1stmac View Post

Has anyone started an online petition for cut-n-paste yet?

"If you could read my mind..."

Please someone, start one now and tell me where to sign!?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by msb0014 View Post

Has anyone experienced mail push problems with software 2.1? Even though I have PUSH on and check every fifteen minutes I still have to open the mail and engage the check mail...

Matt

A more fitting question might be; has anyone not experienced Push mail problems?
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:

Because I'm tired of clicking those tiny little check marks next to all those retarded suggestions. They should at least give us the option to not automatically replace my text with a suggestion after hitting the spacebar, instead to just tap on the suggestion itself, or have a learn button for new words.

I realize that some users prefer the feature to be on while others prefer it off, so I belong to the off category I guess.