Apple releases Security Update 2008-007 for Mac OS X

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 32
    Wow, Apple releases a security update and the best we can do is talk about TM, a non-security issue. Sorry it's not working out for everybody but there are plenty of threads already dedicated to this like Apple's forums and Macrumors.com



    Anyway the security update worked just fine on my Intel MacBook running Leopard. I'm just glad Apple is hard at work keeping it's Mac users safe.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple on Thursday afternoon released its seventh distinct security fix of the year for Mac OS X to tackle a number flaws, including one introduced with its 10.5.5 update.



    Security updates tend to be boring . . . that's why we post about Time Machine!



    Mine works fine, by the way. If I do get a random backup failure, I chalk it up

    to alien transmissions interfering with the WiFi signal to/from my Time Capsule, and

    sure enough, when the transmissions calm down, the next backup works fine.



    Of course, I firmly believe in keeping eggs in multiple baskets, so there's a USB

    drive in the safe that gets a complete, bootable, SuperDuper! backup from time to

    time.



    Wait a second, what was this thread about . . . ?
  • Reply 23 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,359member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post


    Security updates tend to be boring . . . that's why we post about Time Machine!



    Mine works fine, by the way. If I do get a random backup failure, I chalk it up

    to alien transmissions interfering with the WiFi signal to/from my Time Capsule, and

    sure enough, when the transmissions calm down, the next backup works fine.



    Of course, I firmly believe in keeping eggs in multiple baskets, so there's a USB

    drive in the safe that gets a complete, bootable, SuperDuper! backup from time to

    time.



    Wait a second, what was this thread about . . . ?



    I thought it was TM lol



    I am with you on TM + another, although I prefer CCC to Super Duper but that's just personal.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Good job by Apple for actually explaining what the updates fix! I've been getting annoyed with them for just saying "it fixes stuff" for the previous two years I've owned Macs. Nice to see them finally explain some defects.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    After a few issues with externals I bit the bullet and popped a 1 TB internal in my Mac Pro and dedicated it to TM using it for backing up the 500 MB boot drive. I have to say it has been great and the speed increase over an external is significant, no more sensing the slow down.



    I'd love to have a Mac Pro, but I'm way too peripatetic to warrant the purchase, so I'm stuck with external drives. Having a secondary HDD in a MBP would be ideal for me, but I am sure the market is too small or that.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Did this update effect printers?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Hi to all Amazing Mac Users.



    Is anyone experiencing problems after this security update?



    I have a MB Pro Dec 07 running Leopard - never had a glitch, since this update this morning however, Spaces and Expose behaves strangely and not quite right...



    I wonder if anyone got this problem? How can I report it to Apple?



    Thanks



    Principe
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post


    Well why should i be interested when I'm not experiencing any "serious known issues". Wouldn't you think that "serious known issues" would be affecting me too? And the standard "well, you're just one of the lucky ones" response doesn't cut it.



    I wish that I could killfile fools like you.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    since this update my boot time has gone from around 1 minute to almost 5 minutes. Very piss poor performance update, imho. I get a blue screen for about 4 minutes and nothing in the logs. I hate to reboot now, its such a crappy long time. Reminds me of a Redmond product now.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post


    since this update my boot time has gone from around 1 minute to almost 5 minutes. Very piss poor performance update, imho. I get a blue screen for about 4 minutes and nothing in the logs. I hate to reboot now, its such a crappy long time. Reminds me of a Redmond product now.



    Repair the disc.

    Reinstall the update.

    Revert from earlier TM backup.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post


    since this update my boot time has gone from around 1 minute to almost 5 minutes. Very piss poor performance update, imho. I get a blue screen for about 4 minutes and nothing in the logs. I hate to reboot now, its such a crappy long time. Reminds me of a Redmond product now.



    Hey mate, stop installing crapware and hackware - and you won't have that problem.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post


    Hey mate, stop installing crapware and hackware - and you won't have that problem.



    why would you call Apple's update crapware? Anyway, my system is pretty close to pristine and there is very little crapware or hackware for OS X. It just boots like crapware after Apple's update.
Sign In or Register to comment.