Apple says some MacBook Pros affected by faulty Nvidia chips

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bleach1st View Post


    eep that's my graphics card and MacBook Pro model It's from August 2007...



    and I think I've suffered from the effects too...



    Anyone else had these problems/know if they might be related to the graphics card?



    I've had clearly graphics card-related problems. Most have come up after waking from sleep.



    See attached:









  • Reply 42 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post


    Hmm, I wonder though, do anyone experience this issue?



    Sometime after waking up from sleep or after returning from BootCamp, my MBP display color is bluish, it can be easily fixed by going to system pref -> display, after that the color will return to normal.



    Anyone have this problem?



    Yes, it was commented on soon after the current MBP's were released, I've experienced it a couple of times with mine. That said, my graphics card began exhibiting problems and I had my logic board replaced two months ago on my current model MBP.



    The GPU problem is a heat-related issue. Prior to replacement my GPU temp would max out at around 100C, after the replacement it only gets to 79C. If this wasn't an individual problem with my board I would suspect Apple has done something like under-clocking the GPU to reduce the heating issue as the fans still run at the same speed.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post


    Hmm, I wonder though, do anyone experience this issue?



    Sometime after waking up from sleep or after returning from BootCamp, my MBP display color is bluish, it can be easily fixed by going to system pref -> display, after that the color will return to normal.



    Anyone have this problem?



    Actually, that could be a "Color Profile" bug thingy. Hard to explain, but I would say that's it is probably not a hardware failure. Still, you may be able to get your MBP motherboard replaced! Just to be sure?!
  • Reply 44 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by B Gallagher View Post


    I've had clearly graphics card-related problems. Most have come up after waking from sleep.



    Well, you 100% qualify for the replacement of your faulty GPU. Good luck, have they replaced it yet? How is it?
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Well, you 100% qualify for the replacement of your faulty GPU. Good luck, have they replaced it yet? How is it?



    I know, it's great to see such a good resolution to this problem.



    Don't know - have to reinstall some stuff on my PB, and copy over some files before I take it in. May even wait until after the end of November, when I finish off my thesis. My computer's pretty essential these days, unfortunately.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    my macbookpro is in for service.. left it at our local apple store a month ago..



    Apple, it seems, is fresh out of parts..
  • Reply 47 of 50
    Does anyone know of a class-action lawsuit against Apple being arranged? I need to know if there is one surrounding this issue of the NVIDIA 8600M GT MacBook Pros or not. Thanks.



    -=DG=-
  • Reply 48 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkgoob View Post


    Does anyone know of a class-action lawsuit against Apple being arranged? I need to know if there is one surrounding this issue of the NVIDIA 8600M GT MacBook Pros or not. Thanks.



    -=DG=-



    What for? It seems that in the States everything is delt with by suing. It's kind'a lame :-/
  • Reply 49 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 30,871member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkgoob View Post


    Does anyone know of a class-action lawsuit against Apple being arranged? I need to know if there is one surrounding this issue of the NVIDIA 8600M GT MacBook Pros or not. Thanks.



    -=DG=-



    No, there isn't. But I believe there is one agains't Nvidia. They are the ones who make the bad chips. They are the ones who have consistantly stated that it was for just one run of one model of Hp's laptops.



    They knew about this for about a year, possibly more. They have not been telling the manufacturers about this problem, until it became obvious that machines were breaking down everywhere.



    Look to that.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    But I believe there is one agains't Nvidia. They are the ones who make the bad chips.



    You're right. Here's news about the consumer class action lawsuit.
Sign In or Register to comment.