Let's talk Macworld 2009 hardware; what's left to fill up all that time?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    An aluminum MacBook with no optical drive to save weight and cost is what I'd like to see at MWSF. It's not likely, but dropping a pound and $200 would entice me to buy one, even without Firewire. (For now I think I'm going to pass on the $1299 model.)

What I think we'll actually see is revamped iMacs and a whole new line of displays, all with mini DisplayPort and without Firewire. A new 17" MBP will probably be shown there too.

Like in previous years, Mac Pros might get modifications shortly before or after the event.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

An aluminum MacBook with no optical drive to save weight and cost is what I'd like to see at MWSF.

• Reply 63 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sorry, I can't afford $1800. Otherwise, I'd have one.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Sorry, I can't afford $1800. Otherwise, I'd have one.

My point is; what you want does exist. So you're just wishing really for a miraculous price drop on the Air, but Apple doesn't do those kinds of miracles, sadly.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    Quote:

My point is; what you want does exist. So you're just wishing really for a miraculous price drop on the Air, but Apple doesn't do those kinds of miracles, sadly.

No, the Air is expensive because it's designed to be super thin and light and partly because Apple charges a premium for that.

All I'm suggesting is Apple make a standard MacBook without the optical drive, thus saving some weight and expense and offering it for a little less than $1299. Not miraculous at all. Folks in other threads have long suggested Apple should eliminate optical drives in their portables altogether.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    - iMac: Update to MacBook specs, probably eliminating FireWire. Probably November.

- Mini: Update to MacBook specs, probably eliminating FireWire.

- MacBook: Drop old white model and minor speed bump or reprice.

- MacBook Pro: Introduce 17" model.

- MacBook Air: Probably no changes at MWSF. Next speed bump will probably be Nehalem.

- Mac Pro: Speed bump and DisplayPort. Maybe a Blu-Ray option.

- iPhone: Bump to 32GB.

- iPod Touch: Bump to 64GB.

- Cinema Displays: New 20" and 30" models with DisplayPort. At least the 20" gets LED backlighting.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

Not at all. What a lot of people seem to want is the full size CPU, full set of ports, 2.5" HDD, and low price of the MacBook without the burden of an internal optical drive that they might use once a year. That is not a MacBook Air. It's the only opportunity I can see for Apple to lower their price point by $100 without producing "junk."
  • Reply 68 of 72
    F'ing Mac Pro's Apple!!! Good god, friggin' snail's pace with these. Just not the interest (here or from Apple) that there used to be. Frustrating.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    For iMac and Mini the title says it all! Sure Apple could stay with portable chipsets by the reality is they have a lot of options now that Intel has many low power processors. It is these options that make predictions difficult. I will say however that Apple has the potential to really bump these machines signifcantly. We just happen to be sitting in a position in time where lots of new stuff is coming on line all at once.

Laptops will be an upgrade issue with Apple. The primary reason I believe this to be so is the expense of the new housing. It has to be costing Apple a good penny for each and everyone of those that gets milled out. Further it has yet to be proven that the cases will stand the test of time durability wise. In some ways this case is bleeding edge which is attractive but I think it's cost lead Apple to delete some electronic functionality.

IPod/iPhone's. I'm still thinking multiple things here. One would be an iPhone mini, that is a half size iPhone. Capacity bulbs are obvious! More interestingly I see a larger iPod Touch in the wings. This to provide a larger screen and room for a lot more flash. By lot more I'm talking 128 to 256 GB with a doubling of RAM. This Touch may or may not replace the Classic but it could also be thought of as Newton 2.

Displays - I don't really care! Seriously I don't get the whinning here, why is it that everyone expects Apple to be bleeding edge except for displays? They will go to Display Port because it is the right thing to do. The bigger trick is to get the right LCDs in place that actually improve quality. Or maybe they go OLED, that would be bleeding edge!

Well those are some thoughts. As I tried to point out Apple has more options than it has ever had for the evolution of it's products. Frankly the only products that are hurting right now are the Mini and iPhone. The mini for obvious reasons which I expect to be dealt with shortly. The iPhone for reasons of performance.

Number one IPhone needs a faster processor or miricals with respect to software performance fixes. I suspect that a faster processor is the only answer. The unit could also use a bit more RAM. The thing is IPhone shouldn't have to struggle to be IPhone. The other option might be dual or more cores as I've noticed that the unit becomes very laggy when in use and mail is being received. I doubt that we will see such by MWSF but IPhone needs a make over almost as badly as the Mini.

Dave
  • Reply 70 of 72
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I don't really expect to see my personal Trifecta of Apple goodness to emerge this January at MacWorld 2009, but one can dream...

iPhone nano.

10" MacTouch slate tablet.

Mac mini home server/media center.

• Reply 71 of 72
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    - Merging of AppleTV and Mini

- Cheaper iPhone, more carriers

- Snow Leopard preview

- 17" MacBook Pro (not a show stopper, thus released before MW)

- 20" and 30" LED-backlit monitors (not a show stopper, thus released before MW)

- Updated Mac Pro (not for the target audience, released after MW)

- *NO* Apple branded TVs whatsoever, ever

- *NO* Mac Touch/Tablet/Slate, ever

- *NO* cheap midi tower

- *NO* small screen "iPhone mini"
  • Reply 72 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kendoka;

Snow Leopard preview

No way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kendoka View Post