Inside the new MacBooks: Audio and Video

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Okay. It wasn't clear earlier what the scenario was.

I would still argue that this is not really different from the current state of affairs. I've been setting up projectors for these kinds of meetings for years and years and *mostly* all the projectors still have VGA connectors only, even today, so there is almost always a need for an adapter if the laptop doesn't have VGA output.

I don't know about you all, but all our projectors (13) use DVI, which runs to our podiums and that's what we use... so I get to plug right in.

I'll tell you (and maybe its just my imagination), but whenever I go to a place that uses VGA it looks ugly. Kind of like going to an S-Video based projector when you are use to VGA. DVI is just cleaner across the board.

Anyway, I see it not so much as Apple using non-standard connections, but PC manufacturers and Projector manfucaturers (who cater to PCs) holding the world back. Apple seems to be (and has in the past) pushing the world forward in at least a few ways. The consequence of doing that, however, is often "a bag of cables." I am just glad to know that I work for a business that sees DVI as clearly superior to VGA, and therefore makes it the standard.

If we lived in a world where everyone pushed forward, and weren't lazy we would see a greater adoption rate, I think, of new protocols. However, the status quo, and $$$ usually win out and we all lose because of it.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 102 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Mini DisplayPort. Today, for all *practical* purposes this is an Apple proprietary connector, because the only things you can connect to it without an adaptor are Apple products.

Maybe in the future it will become the defacto standard you say? Well the thing about the future is, there's no guarantees. I can say with equal weight, "No one but Apple will use it." And I have the evidence on my side because so far that is the case.

It doesn't matter of how you like to interpret the word proprietary; unless I read that Apple is restricting rights of use or charge royalties for it (which is beyond unlikely) this is NOT a proprietary adapter.

This whole thread revolves around insufficient information and wild speculation re. the mini DP connector.

The new MB/MBP's are out for what? A week or so? And people whining that there aren't enough cables or adapters out yet and that's an indication for being an Apple-only deal?

This new platform will have at least a 2 year lifespan or so, in which the company will sell millions of these.

I suggest to ease up and wait a bit...
  • Reply 103 of 103
    If the mini display port connector does indeed support all the features of the full sized connector (which seems to be the case), and it's freely available for use (which also seems to be the case), it will become standard because there will be no real reason to use the full sized connectors. The full sized connectors and ports will only limit the amount of space available space for other ports on devices (think netbooks), and only a few shipping graphics cards and displays actually use them at this point. It's better to just make a couple of simple adapters and use the mini connector/port on future devices. The artificial size limit just makes no sense.