2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 22 of 23
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Too bad, but Nehalem won't be on mid range desktops until next year, sometime in the first half. Only the Mac Pro will get that for now, and I wish they'd hurry up!

I thought the Workstation-grade chips were going into production in late 2009, and thought that was the chip designation for the Mac Pro.

PS: I've asked this before, but with the smaller chips sizes and less TDP of the desktop chips, could Apple be considering using a desktop-grade Montevina/Penryn chip in the next iMac which would increase the speed while lowering the price of the chip, thus giving them more profit pre sale? I doubt it, as they really prefer thinness over performance, but I still wonder this with each new revision.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I thought the Workstation-grade chips were going into production in late 2009, and thought that was the chip designation for the Mac Pro.

PS: I've asked this before, but with the smaller chips sizes and less TDP of the desktop chips, could Apple be considering using a desktop-grade Montevina/Penryn chip in the next iMac which would increase the speed while lowering the price of the chip, thus giving them more profit pre sale? I doubt it, as they really prefer thinness over performance, but I still wonder this with each new revision.

Workstation/server chips this quarter. Desktop class chips early sometime next year, and late next year, mobile versions.

Why would Apple change now? Penyrn will continue to improve over the next year.