Wall Street analysts weigh in on Apple's fourth quarter results

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    At the risk of repeating myself from another thread:

These Wall Street idiots have driven the economy into the biggest train wreck in history. Apple is one of the most successful companies ever, exceeding expectations quarter after quarter and year after year.

Doesn't it seem slightly ridiculous that Apple should have to go hat in hand, begging for approval from these cannibal vampire parasites?
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gilles_deleuze View Post

A smaller, nano-style iPhone variant is most, most probably already in the works. Doesn't really mean anything if Jobs were to deny it in public. He does that kind of thing occasionally.

If they made a phone the size of a nano you wouldn't see any app support for it. It would be just like a small Motorola or something. You wouldn't be able to use Safari well enough for it to be worth it. iTunes would probably work alright, though. I would think it would have to be a phone like the ROKR or something, but obviously better done. But who would buy that when they could dish out another hundred and get an iPhone?

I just don't think that makes much sense for them to do.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Why do people still bother with these analysts?

Kathryn Huberty is probably the worst, but it's like looking at a basket of apples and declaring "Oh, that one is really rotten", and then thinking "but all the other ones are probably good". It's not just a few bad apples..

My favorite analyst quote today:

IMF analysis on Iceland last year: "Executive Directors considered that the medium-term prospects for the Icelandic economy remain highly favorable, reflecting open and flexible markets, sound institutions, and skillful management of natural endowments."

'nuff said.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Some of them are covert M$ people.

Some prefer to eat crow than ????

Some state "I'm a PC"

Others have the "idiotology" of SB.

Some want to drive APPL stock price down so they can buy more shares.

But once in while one will stand up and say "I'm a mac"

My preference is obvious, I never bought a PC since they came out (about 1980?)

but I had/have 9 macs including a mac 128k. I am not affected by what analysts think.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

First, OK, maybe a valid complaint. But you are complaining that she was off by less than 2%? Who gets within 2% consistently? Revenue being off by $135 million is 2% too. Exactly why are you complaining about such a small amount? Your complaints don't add up. No one gets that close consistently.

Each percentage point of profit margin adds exponentially to the the bottom line. 2% of $7.9 billion is huge!
  • Reply 26 of 30
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kendoka View Post

Same story as the "Apple must make a cheap MiniTower/an iPod with radio/whatever or they are doomed" arguments.

OMG, yes, Apple is Doomed!
  • Reply 27 of 30
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Each percentage point of profit margin adds exponentially to the the bottom line. 2% of $7.9 billion is huge!

Yes, she got the bottomline and margin wrong --- but she is the one analyst that got the topline revenue correct.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nothowie View Post

The other equally funny comment is Abramsky when he says in one sentence that Apple provided a range for 2nd qtr 2007 guidance then in the next sentence says the fact the Apple gave a range for this quarter is unprecedented! Maybe he should look up what the word unprecedented means.

Jobs said April and October sales usually offer little help for quarter guidance.

Nobody gives "ranges" like Munster --- once he gave out iphone sales estimates to be between 1.6 to 2 million iphones.

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...what-to-watch/
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Apple should stop providing future guidance. Then we could really see how moronic most of the analysts are and, hopefully, many of them would move elsewhere or get fired. The result would most likely reduce manipulation and volatility of the Apple stock and would benefit real investors, not traders or short-sellers that nowadays dominate the financial media and the out of control financial industry.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LookingUp View Post

Apple should stop providing future guidance. Then we could really see how moronic most of the analysts are and, hopefully, many of them would move elsewhere or get fired. The result would most likely reduce manipulation and volatility of the Apple stock and would benefit real investors, not traders or short-sellers that nowadays dominate the financial media and the out of control financial industry.

That's moronic.

If your company is garbage then no wall street firms cover your stock --- it's as simple as that.

Secondly according to all you people, the most moronic person has to be Apple's CFO then --- because apple regularly beats their guidance by 20-30% every quarter.