Apple device sized between iPhone, MacBook detected online

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Jobs is perfectly right. The Apple NetBook offering is the iPhone.

All Cupertino needs to do is enable use of a portable Bluetooth keyboard (like the Newton) and we're done here.
  • Reply 42 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

Yes, the right way and the wrong way.

Which one depends on the dialect in question. Why is this really a problem? I hope I'm wrong, but it looks to me that people are looking for reasons to cause mischief.
  • Reply 43 of 81
    This is a lot of fuss over a user agent somebody made up.
  • Reply 44 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

Jobs's comments.

Why can't anybody get this right?

we's illitrate.
  • Reply 45 of 81
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    I blame the English for giving us the word, soccer, and then having the gall to ridicule us for using it.
  • Reply 46 of 81
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Sounds like it may be the Apple tablet.

It is. MTFTW!
  • Reply 47 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

we's illitrate.

hooz yu callin ilitrate?
  • Reply 48 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Steve bags the Netbook but not a bigger iPhone/Cocoa Touch product. Enhancing a simple device makes a lot more sense to me than making a complex one smaller. A clamshell tablet would do the job for me and could seize an emerging market segment without damaging notebook sales

I think thats the best guess yet.

But somehow I can't imagine even apple making the clamshell tablet/phone a good design...at that screen ratio its too big to hold up to the ear.. and maybe too small to be productive on. They don't seem to want to use physical keyboards. And unless PA Semi makes a stronger ARM chip it might not have the power to be useful enough.
  • Reply 49 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tecton View Post

I think thats the best guess yet.

But somehow I can't imagine even apple making the clamshell tablet/phone a good design...at that screen ratio its too big to hold up to the ear.. and maybe too small to be productive on. They don't seem to want to use physical keyboards. And unless PA Semi makes a stronger ARM chip it might not have the power to be useful enough.

Its not going to be a device for the ear. And I think they will indeed give it the power to be useful enough. Yes, I think its going to be an advanced iphone instead of a watered down notebook.

And it won't have a keyboard either. Clamshell? I myself am hoping that they have bought out some tiny company like they did with fingerworks (makers of multi-touch) and that this new tiny company they bought had an incredible new screen technology that Apple now secretly possesses.

I really hope they have a surprise for the tech market come MacWorld 09.
  • Reply 50 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

Jobs's comments.

Why can't anybody get this right?

Because either form is correct - it just depends on how it's spoken, sort of

from http://mark.tranchant.co.uk/2003/01/apostrophe-usage

The only other situation is when a singular subject ends in s or an s-sound?we add an apostrophe, but do we add an extra s or not? The informal rule is to use whatever is most convenient when spoken.

Jesus? ministry lasted just three years.

My conscience? naggings prevented me from robbing the bank.

Les?s house has a red door.
  • Reply 51 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

It can be written either way.

The Chicago Manual of Style, or for short, The Chicago Manual would disagree with you.

The Chicago Manual, published by the University of Chicago press, is regarded as the reference source for authors, editors and copywriters, particularly in publishing and advertising.

In it, the possessive ending for proper names ending in sibilants such as Jobs, is 's and would, therefore, be written as Jobs's. Using it, as such, is not in question.

On the other hand, one can find other sources of lesser renown that suggest you or both forms are acceptable, which for most learned educators of the English language contend that it is contributing to its bastardization.

However, the format as used in the first sentence in the article is definitely incorrect.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple chief Steve Jobs' has dismissed any immediate plans to enter the netbook field?.

• Reply 52 of 81
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Jobs is perfectly right. The Apple NetBook offering is the iPhone.

All Cupertino needs to do is enable use of a portable Bluetooth keyboard (like the Newton) and we're done here.

Again, not everyone wants to use that tiny screen...

I could see (and reluctantly accept) a convertible netbook/tablet with a 10" display from Apple.

But I would rather have a 10" slate tablet. I can always toss an Apple BT keyboard in the bag. Maybe they will even make a model that has a built-in slot to sit the tablet in when needed...

A tablet that is sized between the iPhone & the smallest Apple laptop (being the 13" MacBook/MacBook Air models), be it a pure slate tablet or a convertible netbook/laptop/tablet, is a given for a future product from Apple. Probably has Steve killing engineers nightly in the next few months while running up to MacWorld 2009 in January.

The bigger question, what intentions does Apple have in regards to the Mac mini? This product is screaming for Apple to turn it into the true digital hub of American consumer households. The computer market seems to be shifting more towards mobile units; laptops, netbooks, tablets, handhelds. I see a need emerging for a new class of home server; integrating a media center (AppleTV meets Tivo) with centralized file, print & backup services for the assorted mobile devices in the household.
  • Reply 53 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post

As I understand it, "Jobs's" would be correct. However, the 's is omitted for "Jesus'" so maybe there is something there .

thanks for giving me the best laugh of the day, no week !!!
  • Reply 54 of 81
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

The Chicago Manual of Style, or for short, The Chicago Manual would disagree with you.

I'll stick with the AP Stylebook, which says apostrophe only.
  • Reply 55 of 81
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

On the other hand, one can find other sources of lessor renown that suggest you or both forms are acceptable...

Oh, is there a manual that is famous among landlords?
  • Reply 56 of 81
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

If everybody has an iPhone, would one want a "bigger iPhone OSX device" as well? And an iMac?

I for one would really go for such a device. The intent would be to use it for Internet access and video iPod use on the go. IPhone does really well as an E-Mail device, phone & etc. It does not however really pass as an Internet browser (even when Safari doesn't crash). For the web and movie playback size does matter and frankly wouldn't take much. We are talking like a screen maybe 3/4" high and 2 to 3 inches wider (horizontal mode). Frankly still pocketable at those dimensions. In any event that extra width would make it much easier to view just about any web page. A little bigger would be doable also but then you start to move away from the iPod and Touch family of devices.

Note this is important to realize, this device should not be thought of as a member of the Mac family. It would very much still be a Touch device running Mobile OS.

Quote:

I don't know how many Apple devices there are room for. A "bigger iPhone OSX device" would perhaps be that $500 computer just being dismissed by Jobs himself.

It can't be both! Besides what are you talking about room. Apple has exactly one iPod Touch and a twin brother in iPhone. That really isn't much in the way of Touch devices. Right at this moment I see opportunities for 3 to 5 new devices in the Touch line up.

Quote:

I must say, since I got an iPhone my lust after an Apple tablet has diminished to nearly zero. I already have an Apple tablet.. a very portable one.

Yeah I really like my iPhone but let's face it the screen is cramped for web use and a larger video screen would be nice. The device would be best thought of as a video iPod. Designed right it could also be thought of as a Classic replacement. Given that they would likely provide for more RAM and faster processing it would be a good game machine too.

Dave
  • Reply 57 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

This is a lot of fuss over a user agent somebody made up.

Exactly. I feel like creating a few more UA entries and making some "analysts" wet themselves in wonder at what could be coming.
  • Reply 58 of 81
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Even if your numbers were accurate, it's still pretty offensive to tell the folks that originated the language, that you know it better than them and that your spelling is "more better" (to use an American term).

If you're going to complain about someone being offensive, and you might want to at least wait until the next sentence before you act like a jerk yourself. I live in the heart of Texas, and I don't know a single person who wouldn't recognize "more better" as grammatically incorrect.
  • Reply 59 of 81
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Even if your numbers were accurate, it's still pretty offensive to tell the folks that originated the language, that you know it better than them and that your spelling is "more better" (to use an American term).

The folks that "originated the language" better be quiet about their botched-up usage of Anglo-Frisian.
  • Reply 60 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I'll stick with the AP Stylebook, which says apostrophe only.

I agree. I've lived in the US all my life. I went to private schools all my life. All my teachers have said that if it ends in an 's', you just use an apostrophe only.

They could all be wrong or everybody on here could be confused... who knows?