Apple to sweeten Snow Leopard with more Cocoa

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

Off topic, but has anyone else seen the spinning beach ball while reading the article about Cocoa (not this thread)? For me it happened with Safari and Opera on an Intel iMac and a white MacBook.

I had the Force Quit the browsers.

No. Perhaps your network connection is acting up.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

and RAW support

and editable channels

and configurable brushes

and...

Pixelmator is a nice app, but it's not close to Photoshop in features yet.

That's why I gave my conservative estimate of "this time next year" for feature-parity (or nearly so).

Why do I get the impression most of the replies I get are knee-jerk reactions?
  • Reply 63 of 69
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Pixelmator is good software, but Apple doesn't need to acquire them.

Everything Apple needs for a Photoshop competitor already exists within Aperture, ColorSync and the FCP suite.

If you think Adobe hasn't noticed that, think again. Aperture was a warning shot over the bow.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Pixelmator is good software, but Apple doesn't need to acquire them.

Everything Apple needs for a Photoshop competitor already exists within Aperture, ColorSync and the FCP suite.

If you think Adobe hasn't noticed that, think again. Aperture was a warning shot over the bow.

Aperture is for photographers, plain and simple. It's not designed to be a Photoshop competitor.

Maybe Apple doesn't need to acquire Pixelmator or design a direct Photoshop competitor. It depends on how this idea will fit into their strategy.

I'm seriously hoping to pull away from Adobe as much as possible. It seems that Adobe's focus isn't graphics. They seem to be putting so much energy into their flash/flex/air platform. It other words, I think Adobe's more interested in becoming a media company. I could be wrong. But... it's just something about the company that makes me not trust them.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMik-e View Post

... They seem to be putting so much energy into their flash/flex/air platform. It other words, I think Adobe's more interested in becoming a media company. I could be wrong. But... it's just something about the company that makes me not trust them.

Adobe never understood the web. Remember PageMill which tarnished Adobe's image as a credible web company, then to try and recover, they baught CyberStudio the best darn web dev software of its time, changed its name to GoLive and screwed up again big time, meanwhile Adobe released ImageReady, a competitor to Fireworks, a head scratcher that was recently consumed by Photoshop, finally Adobe dumped their pride and purchased Macromedia, a company that gets the web.

Now Adobe is at it again, under the impression that web-languages are the hot thing, the reality is otherwise, a true breakthrough to the internet would be a development platform that requires no programming, something that resembles or functions similar to PDF or postscript, languages that are written visually, no not like Flash. Maybe a DreamWeaver that works more like InDesign.

But I think Adobe is going to eventually succeed with their new platforms because they are being adopted by large corporations and the US government. I wish I had a dime for every time a recruiter asked me if I could program in Flex.

If Apple buys Adobe, it'll make MS look even more boring and outdated. But best of all, Adobe is very profitable and they sit on many patents and technologies.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMik-e View Post

Aperture is for photographers, plain and simple. It's not designed to be a Photoshop competitor.

Of course it's not. But it's largely a matter of workflow.

If you look closely, you'll see that Apple would only need to tweak Aperture's under the hood capabilities to begin to rival Photoshop.

This is not to say that the work required is trivial. But Apple clearly served notice on Adobe that if they abandoned the platform, Apple would have a competitor in beta within weeks, not months.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    Spot on!, this is good, now if only Apple would endorse Cappuccino as their Cocoa for the Web, SC is obviously now Cocoa for the web yet they endorse it cause MobileMe is build on top of it but learning SC is a real big pain in the butt.

SC - SproutCore - Made from people who are currently working for Apple (MobileMe)

Cappuccino - Made from people who used to be working at Apple.

Can't wait to see how Adobe CS5 - Cocoa will look like on the Mac , lets hope it looks good, faster and is smaller.

Quote:

If Apple buys Adobe, it'll make MS look even more boring and outdated. But best of all, Adobe is very profitable and they sit on many patents and technologies.

Yup, I agree, Apple should buy Adobe, that would be nice, considering many graphics related people uses Mac platform. This would give even more advantage to Apple cause now Adobe and Apple can work more closer to make the CS suite better. I tried pixelmator, I do like its Cocoa stuffs but I don't like how it works and the learning curve.

That's the problem, Adobe has become such a status in the industry that its hard for a company to compete with Adobe products such as Photoshop and not to infringe their patents or developing a user interface that will make if feel like home (Photoshop) for new users.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Of course it's not. But it's largely a matter of workflow.

If you look closely, you'll see that Apple would only need to tweak Aperture's under the hood capabilities to begin to rival Photoshop.

This is not to say that the work required is trivial. But Apple clearly served notice on Adobe that if they abandoned the platform, Apple would have a competitor in beta within weeks, not months.

Bingo Frank777. Aperture is something that Apple will continue to develop because it in fact delivers likely %70 of what Photoshop users need. Photoshop as an image creation program is relatively unparalled but few tap the depth of the program and basically use it like an overgrown photo editor.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

That's the problem, Adobe has become such a status in the industry that its hard for a company to compete with Adobe products such as Photoshop and not to infringe their patents or developing a user interface that will make if feel like home (Photoshop) for new users.

Screw making current Photoshop users feel at home. If there's a better UI paradigm for working with images Apple should develop it. I never really thought Photoshop was all that intuitive of a UI. Everything becomes "intuitive" once you get over the learning curve.

I doubt that Apple makes a competitor though or buys Adobe. Microsoft and Adobe have worked with Apple over some large transitions and I doubt Apple would stab'em in the back. Though it would be fun to see what Apple could do with a beefy PS killer.

Though the promise of Cocoa is in fact to enable rapid development and Pixelmator has the momentum needed to leverage it moreso than Adobe. We'll see how things turn out.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cozagada View Post

Hi, I feel compelled to write my first post ever on AI :

Do not touch my beloved bubbly scroll bars !

You can bubble my scroll bar any day of the week rawr!