Google Earth lands for iPhone, Netflix testing Mac streaming

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    Google Earth looks great on my 3G. The accuracy of the find function is very good in my area with either 3G or Wi-Fi. It does crash more often than I expected though. Keeping it on map-only function seems to help this and I'm hoping the next build will be improved. I'd rather them work out the kinks than introduce even more intensive graphics like Street View.

The Netflix thing really bums me out. For a long time (>1yr) their website said that they were working on a PPC instant viewer while, for the moment, Intel users could just run Windows. I have waited patiently for any news regarding their DRM solution and I just came across this. I realize that they are not obligated in any way to cater to us legacy PPC users and it says in the article that Intel users now comprise 3/4 of their total Mac subscribers but the fact that they left a hopeful message for PPC users for so long makes it a hard pill to swallow. I am eventually going to upgrade to an Intel Mac but for now, my trusty ol' 17-inch PB is all I've got. I feel a bit forgotten here. I guess I am somewhat accustomed to the level of thoughtfulness and support offered by many of the A/V hardware and software manufacturers for legacy products and figuring out an identical solution for PPC doesn't seem like such a high jump to hurdle.

I guess I'm forced to wait until I buy a new Mac. That's what they want me to do anyway isn't it?

Way to further alienate your loyal legacy users, Apple!
  • Reply 22 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by completetrader View Post

All that says is the installed base is bigger. Has nothing to do with the development environment. Adobe has a huge head start. That does not mean there is no room for another solution. This will only make them both stronger. This is a good thing and give developers options. I have been developing in Silverlight for almost a year now. I find it very easy to create many different types of apps. Netflix has made a wise decision.

I agree that Silverlight is a good alternative to specific applications, like DRM video streaming. I also agree that having competition is a good thing; keeps Adobe honest. However, if I'm looking build to any general interactive web interface, I look at the installed user base before choosing a technology. If you tell me that over 70% of my potential customers are going to have to install new software they don't have, just to view my website, I'm probably not going to choose that technology.

When silverlight has a 90% install base, and all of the features of Flash Player version 10 (hardware accelerated 3d, embedable fonts, etc) then I'll declare it a competition