$45,000 Dollars for the Epic.

And I thought Red ONe Was Exspensive. ANd thats just for the Body. Danm
  • Reply 22 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimemachineDream View Post

$45,000 Dollars for the Epic.

And I thought Red ONe Was Exspensive. ANd thats just for the Body. Danm

Sure if you want to shoot in Medium Format.

The majority of Epic owners will be buying these two brains:

S35

12 Bit A/D

11 Stops

13.8 Megapixel sensor

28 thousand for the Brains

Monstro S35

16 Bit A/D

13 Stops

24 Megapixel sensor

$35 thousand for the Brains.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Okay well 28 k and 35 k is still a good amount of money. ANd thats jsut for the brain. Still have to buy power supply, storage, lenses, stand. Atleast doubling those prices.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimemachineDream View Post

Okay well 28 k and 35 k is still a good amount of money. ANd thats jsut for the brain. Still have to buy power supply, storage, lenses, stand. Atleast doubling those prices.

Even then it'd be a steal.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-bro...a/product-F23/

$150,000

Quote:

When the SRW-1 is equipped with the optional HKSR102 board, the F23 can record overcranking, undercranking, slow shutter, and interval recording. The F23 also captures in full 1920 x 1080 progressive in either 4:4:4 RGB color, or 4:2:2 Y/Cb/Cr.

Kind of puts things into perspective.

Red Epic 6k camera $60-100k (estimated) well appointed.

Sony CineAlta f23 2k Camera well appointed $200k
  • Reply 25 of 28
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I knew it! Look at the last frame... 3D!

http://www.red.com/epic_scarlet/

Wow, that's great! Can't wait to see how their 3-D movies look.

I remember when I was a kid, I went to a 3d movie and it was terrible. That was the first and last time I went until about 10 years ago when I took my sons to a 3-D iMax movie. It was great (compared to what I remember). Nothing like what I saw when I was a kid. I hope these red 3-D movies are even better.

Curious, can a standard CRT or flat screen tv play 3-D movies?
  • Reply 26 of 28
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    28K-35K maybe a steal but it sure leaves Canon room for a camera based on the 5D Mk II sensor in a vidcam body that can take a DSLR lenses shooting 1080p/24 or 30 with high ISOs in the $5-8K MSRP range. The 5D Mk 2 is only $2700...even doubling the price leaves you below the cost of a Scarlet S35.

It might trash a good part of the Canon XL/XH lineup though. But what the hell...$5K is a good price given the 5D isn't being sold for cheap and it's not like the Scarlet 2/3 isn't going to have a similar impact.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

28K-35K maybe a steal but it sure leaves Canon room for a camera based on the 5D Mk II sensor in a vidcam body that can take a DSLR lenses shooting 1080p/24 or 30 with high ISOs in the $5-8K MSRP range. The 5D Mk 2 is only $2700...even doubling the price leaves you below the cost of a Scarlet S35.

It might trash a good part of the Canon XL/XH lineup though. But what the hell...$5K is a good price given the 5D isn't being sold for cheap and it's not like the Scarlet 2/3 isn't going to have a similar impact.

Yeah I'm actually pretty stunned with what people are capturing with the 5D Mk II. It certainly feels strange to see a DSLR capturing such video but Canon has certainly raised the bar for low cost HD Video.

I think both Canon and RED have the same issue. They can't make the entry level stuff so good that they kill demand for the higher end stuff. The market is only so big.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Dang! Those things look like they could be their own Transformer in the new upcoming flick! Well done by Red.