Apple's Snow Leopard to offer text auto-correction

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzomedici View Post

The spell correction on the iPhone is a fuckin' disaster.

I don't get when people say this. It works just fine for me. You'll find you just need to watch someone who can type on the iPhone to see how they do it. I can type just fine on iPhone. It's all about conviction and rhythm. And btw, the spell correction in for Snow Leopard's software keyboard features, i.e. it's for their tablet - so chill, it won't pop up on your MacBook, MacBook Pro or iMac any time soon in Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Horses***! TextEdit.app is an application that is a gateway for Development. It was developed as an Openstep replacement to Edit.app by Mike Ferris and Ali Ozer of AppKit.

Rich Text has been a baseline of NeXT from it's inception. Even the most basic of applications can easily get Rich Text [RTF/RTFD] built-in with practically NO CODE.

That's the problem though, all the small RTF editors for OS X that I've found all use the same engine, so they all have the same bizarre formatting bugs.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Horses***! TextEdit.app is an application that is a gateway for Development. It was developed as an Openstep replacement to Edit.app by Mike Ferris and Ali Ozer of AppKit.

Rich Text has been a baseline of NeXT from it's inception. Even the most basic of applications can easily get Rich Text [RTF/RTFD] built-in with practically NO CODE.

If they feel they need to cram everything in one app to effectively show off the API, then they should have a CrappyEdit.app for exactly that purpose in the XCode package for devs to look at.
    Quote:

Stick with Notepad if that's what turns your crank.

Where did I say Notepad is good? What Microsoft got right is that the same app is not going to be good both at text editing and word processing, so they made two apps instead of a mishmash bound to be worse for both jobs.

Here is an example of a good text editor, incidentally shipping as default on another platform.
    Quote:

The developer extensions you can add to TextEdit.app allow it to be an HTML TextEditor, or not.

Developer extensions you can add? I'm talking about what ships in the default install, guaranteed to be present when you sit down on an OS X box.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't get when people say this. It works just fine for me. You'll find you just need to watch someone who can type on the iPhone to see how they do it. I can type just fine on iPhone. It's all about conviction and rhythm. And btw, the spell correction in for Snow Leopard's software keyboard features, i.e. it's for their tablet - so chill, it won't pop up on your MacBook, MacBook Pro or iMac any time soon in Snow Leopard.

Type in "yo" and it corrects to "to" and a million other things. Start typing in Spanish or German oro other languages it wants to correct that to English. Type in "que" and it corrects to "wye". Type in "pasa" and it corrects to "pass". Why? I know what the fuck I want to type and I don't need the iPhone trying to correct me. This is why people hate the feature because it sucks ass and there is no user control. It had to be some dumb ass mono-lingual American to think of this dumbass feature.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzomedici View Post

Type in "yo" and it corrects to "to" and a million other things. Start typing in Spanish or German oro other languages it wants to correct that to English. Type in "que" and it corrects to "wye". Type in "pasa" and it corrects to "pass". Why? I know what the fuck I want to type and I don't need the iPhone trying to correct me. This is why people hate the feature because it sucks ass and there is no user control. It had to be some dumb ass mono-lingual American to think of this dumbass feature.

A million? That's a lot. How often do you type "Yo"? When it suggest "To" reject it. This is a trade off, that way when you typing "to" which you do way more often you don't need to worry about getting it wrong.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

A million? That's a lot. How often do you type "Yo"? When it suggest "To" reject it. This is a trade off, that way when you typing "to" which you do way more often you don't need to worry about getting it wrong.

I much prefer to turn it off. The act of having to reject a spurious suggestion disrupts my rhythm, even more so than backspacing a couple characters and retyping it, and only rarely are the suggestions worthwhile for me. It seems to be useful mostly for those that don't use many proper nouns and don't use many words outside its limited vocabulary.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Clues for confused folks:

Cancel an auto-correct three times on the iPhone, and it learns your word.

Change internationalization mode, and it uses other language dictionaries.

It took about a week for me to beat the worst offenders out of the system, and since then it's been a real pleasure to use... unlike Word's version.

AFAICT, Word uses 'nearest word in the dictionary' for suggestions. If I type grt, it will probably suggest 'grit' first, when really, I just mishit the e in get. The iPhone uses this positional data of which keys are near which, to suggest 'nearest typo on the keyboard', which I find *much* closer to what I meant to type. I turn off the Word autocorrect, but I am almost to the point of liking the iPhone's version.

I hope that whatever they put in 10.6 follows course, but with a much simpler training setup.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

I hope that whatever they put in 10.6 follows course, but with a much simpler training setup.

One thing they could add is "timing". I.E. If you typed the work f.u.c.k. "slowly and deliberately" the dictionary wouldn't try to correct it. When typing odd words you could just slow down a little and OS X would use that as the key; "don't correct this one". Of course it could be a whole lot more intelligent than simply that, but that would be nice starting point to beef up its intelligence. And it would be something that everyone would not only learn, but instinctively try. I see people "trying" that on the iPhone, all the time.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:

One thing they could add is "timing". I.E. If you typed the work f.u.c.k. "slowly and deliberately" the dictionary wouldn't try to correct it. When typing odd words you could just slow down a little and OS X would use that as the key; "don't correct this one". Of course it could be a whole lot more intelligent than simply that, but that would be nice starting point to beef up its intelligence. And it would be something that everyone would not only learn, but instinctively try. I see people "trying" that on the iPhone, all the time.

To add to this...the auto-correction could step it up a notch in the 'intelligent correction' department by looking at the local context. If a cluster of words could be analyzed instead of a single word, then the auto-correction tool could correct a word based on the auto-correction's knowledge that it is a verb, or a noun, or an adjective, or an adverb.

Taking Kickaha's example...if I were to write "Could you grt me a vanilla latte?" Before using the 'nearest typo on the keyboard' algorithm and/or 'nearest word in dictionary' algorithm, the auto-correction tool should know right away that a 'grt' is a misspelled *verb* and shouldn't even consider 'grit' at all considering it's a noun.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

I actually think the American way of spelling is quite flawed. They took perfectly good words, like centre, or cheque, and gave them totally bizarre spellings, center, and check, when their was nothing at all wrong with the original way of spelling them. And if every word looked just how it sounded, we would have a very confused language indeed. Imagine if one was spelled won, or if two was spelled too.

Languages evolve ... The Saxons probably got annoyed at all the Norman words 'back when'. However, sometimes I do see the wrong word entirely being used by the poorly educated when confusion arrises due to the similarity of the spelling.

OMG ... "when THEIR was nothing at all wrong ..."

• Reply 51 of 53
    irchsirchs Posts: 86member
    Quote:

I type "yo" a lot when addressing my homies. In all seriousness, some degree of learning would be welcome in the iPhone keyboard. Having to correct the iPhone's corrections all the time is irritating.

Something along the lines of the T9 learning method would be ideal...
  • Reply 52 of 53
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    No doubt some idiotic company will create an app to do the *same* thing on Winblows and fail from crappy implementation and contribute to what I like to call the windows "update hell" where every one of the 100 third party apps running on the background want to do an update every week, annoying the user and bogging down productivity from clicking OK and waiting every single day.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDRC View Post

i also hope they offer a proper english(british)

Does "proper english(british)" allow for three lower case proper nouns in one sentence?