Opera Mini for iPhone sits on sidelines due to App Store rules

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    cinqcinq Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

This is precisely why the ANDROID platform is SO IMPORTANT. (...)

Also, you can buy an Openmoko Freerunner right now, so that you maintain the benefit of open source without belonging to Google...
  • Reply 62 of 65
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Safari is crap. Crashes like there's no tomorrow on the iPhone 3g.

Is opera mini any better ??

Is it hell as like, its a bag of crap and slower. Why do you think that nokia dropped it from their new handsets and provide their own webkit based browser.

You are a bunch of moaning minnies, the type of 'grass is greener' whiners that moan and whine about everything.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Is opera mini any better ??

Is it hell as like, its a bag of crap and slower. Why do you think that nokia dropped it from their new handsets and provide their own webkit based browser.

You are a bunch of moaning minnies, the type of 'grass is greener' whiners that moan and whine about everything.

Nokia never used to bundle phones with Opera Mini. They do now though (series 40 phones).
  • Reply 64 of 65
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Laroquod View Post

According to your view of the world, there is no room for anyone to persuade anyone else that their freedoms are at risk. Everyone just has their own opinion and never shall any of the twains meet. But the greatest defence we have against tyranny is communication, raising general awareness of when our freedoms our at risk (and yes, freedom to compute is very important so tyranny is absolutey the right word). Without that, then it is very easy for companies with predatory practices to separate us from the herd -- which is a lot of the problem with politics today. Market decisions are seen as more legitimate somehow than dialogue and discourse.

Mostly I have no idea what you are talking about.

Exactly in who's world view does anyone need their freedom protected from a phone that you voluntarily purchase? What does the iPhone have to do with tyranny?

Quote:

What you are telling me is that the market decides all and complaining about it is illegitimate. But far from illegitimate, this is how democracy works. I say what I think is important about what's happening in the world, and you decide whether I'm right or not. And so far you have not offered a single counterargument to my view -- you've merely argued that discussing it is irrelevant. But this is the whole ball-game, my friend. Words have a greater power to change the world than dollars.

This is exactly how the market works. A company offers a product. People are free to buy it or not. If a company offers a product under stipulations that you don't like, you don't buy it. Verbally complaining about it means little. Companies only care about complaints if they believe it will affect their sales.

The counter-argument to your view is sticking your head out the window and looking at how business works. Money is primarily what matters. You may not like it, but that does not change the reality of it.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    Think of the implications of this. If it's because of security, fine - the Opera team can refactor and resubmit the browser. If it's because Apple does not want to have competition, this sets a scary precedent.

Suppose Apple wants to make an app that competes with an existing app - say they realize that Moto Chaser is making a lot of money and they want to make their own clone - what will they do? Will they kick Moto Chaser out of the App store?

Sure, not being able to run Opera on the iPhone isn't a huge deal. Philosophically, I can't stand with Apple here though. For all of their complaints about monopoly, they seem very ready to follow in Microsoft's footsteps here. The iPhone isn't big enough for this to cause competition problems yet, but that they are willing to be so anti-competitive at all seems like a big step backwards, by saying that this standard that they hold Microsoft to is one which they don't hold themselves to as well.

Imagine Google Android being as popular as the iPhone, but for whatever reason Google decided that it didn't want Safari competing with Firefox. Would you be okay with this?