Apple's iPod chief to step down - report

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Tony Fadell, largely regarded as the grandfather of the iPod and Apple's audio strategy, is leaving the company for personal reasons, according to a report published Tuesday by the Wall Street Journal.

Apple declined to comment on the story, but the financial paper cited people familiar with the matter as saying the executive will be replaced by Mark Papermaster, a top chip designer recently recruited from IBM among much controversy.

Fadell joined Apple as the first member of its iPod hardware engineering team in 2001 and was promoted to vice president of iPod engineering in 2004.Â*He's served as the senior vice president of Apple's iPod division since April 2006.

Back in the 1990s, Fadell started a company called Fuse, which aimed to produce a new array of consumer electronics devices for the masses. One such product was a hard disk-based digital music player.

When Fuse ran out of funding, Fadell explored the possibility of developing his gadgets for another company. He initially joined RealNetworks in 2000, but left just six weeks later. The next company he approached was Apple.

While presiding over the iPod boom, Fadell was also instrumental in the development of the first iPhone and oversaw other smaller products during his tenure at the company, including the iSight.

Fadell's big break came on October 14, 2005, when Apple announced that he would replace the retiring Jon Rubinstein as Senior Vice President of the iPod Division.

Fadell has filed more than 20 patents for his work, several of which have been covered (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) by AppleInsider.

According to the Journal, Fadell plans to take time off after leaving Apple but may still keep a role at the company as a consultant.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Fadell shopped the idea of the iPod around silicon valley and no one was interested, but Apple said yes. The rest as they say; is history.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Fadell shopped the idea of the iPod around silicon valley and no one was interested, but Apple said yes. The rest as they say; is history.

I thought it was iTunes that made the iPod. There were tons of MP3 players around long before the iPod. What did he have to do with iTunes? Let's not re-write history. Unless you mean he invented the click-wheel?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I thought it was iTunes that made the iPod. There were tons of MP3 players around long before the iPod. What did he have to do with iTunes? Let's not re-write history. Unless you mean he invented the click-wheel?

The iTunes store and the seamless integration with a MP3 player was his concept.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

The iTunes store and the seamless integration with a MP3 player was his concept.

Interesting- not something I would normally equate with hardware engineering.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Didn't this news come out a month or two back? It was a slow transition period thing if I recall correctly.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    If personal reason = finding a better gig with a better company, they've got this story right.

Great decision on his part, nonetheless!
  • Reply 7 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

It was a variety of things IMHO. The iPod set the standard at that time for ease of use. The other mp3 players in the area suffered horribly from bad design implementations, menus and proprietary audio formats (Sony???).

No one will know what would have happened had RealNetworks decided to go full-speed on their version of the iPod. They probably would not have had they success compared to what Apple could do with it. Certainly they did not have the creativity-base that Apple is known for. I'm curious what those other companies that passed up the opportunity think now about their decision to do that.

The iPod will have its place in the history books as a device that changed the industry.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

iTunes is media playback software and is incapable of designing consumer electronics.

The iPod was designed by a team of humans working under the direction of Tony Fadell.

While there were other MP3 players before, Fadell recognized that their flaw was lack of integration with their desktop software. There were very few companies with the expertise in hardware and software to create a successful device like the iPod.

iTunes was actually based on an earlier piece of software called SoundJam.

Apple acquired it in 2000 and released iTunes 1.0 in Jan of 2001.

Fadell began working as a contractor for Apple in February 2001 and was formally hired in April.

For the iPod, Apple used an System-On-a-Chip from PortalPlayer consisting of two ARM cores.

For the GUI, Apple hired another company called Pixo to develop the software that ran on PortalPlayer's OS and interacted with Apple's iTunes.

Apple introduced the iPod in October of 2001.

It was designed and brought to market in less than a year!
  • Reply 9 of 24
    MacRumors:

Quote:

Apple also announced that Tony Fadell, Apple’s senior vice president of the iPod Division, and his wife Danielle Lambert, vice president of Human Resources, are reducing their roles within the company as they devote more time to their young family. Fadell will remain at Apple as an advisor to the CEO. Lambert will depart the company at the end of this year after a successor is in place.

• Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

The iPod was designed by a team of humans working under the direction of Tony Fadell.

I thought it was lizards, lol.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

• Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

iTunes was actually based on an earlier piece of software called SoundJam.

Apple acquired it in 2000 and released iTunes 1.0 in Jan of 2001.

!

Ah yes -I actually had SoundJam running on my old G3 iMac- the good old days of OS9.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The iPod will have its place in the history books as a device that changed the industry.

Along with the vibrator.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

That was the ZUNE.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Ah yes -I actually had SoundJam running on my old G3 iMac- the good old days of OS9.

I wish they had gone with Panic's Audion instead.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

I wish they had gone with Panic's Audion instead.

That was much more sophisticated- a friend had Audion. I guess they went for simplicity or who knows.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    akaaka Posts: 7member
    Cool. Maybe the new guy will focus on improving the iPod's middle of the road sound quality instead of adding endless bells and whistles.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aka View Post

Cool. Maybe the new guy will focus on improving the iPod's middle of the road sound quality instead of adding endless bells and whistles.

The shuffle's is low road.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

That was much more sophisticated- a friend had Audion. I guess they went for simplicity or who knows.

Sorry if this is off topic a little bit. If you go to Panics web site and dig around on Audion's page it has a very interesting story about how they almost were bought by Apple but were distracted by talks with Aol.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

iTunes is media playback software and is incapable of designing consumer electronics.

Perhaps the original poster was stating that iTunes is what "made" the iPod

such a hit?

Not that iTunes actually developed the iPod.