Apple pulls plug on plans for store near Empire State Building

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Except that Apple's support of the No stance against prop 8 is not a negative. I thought we'd (you'd) laid that one to rest

I'm not sure I follow. 'No' means against, which is a negative stance to the prop. But it's a positive stance on civil rights.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    [CENTER]It's crap like this that gives Apple a bad name, Steve. Apple is not a social movement, it's not a lifestyle, it's not a way of life, it's not a work of art.

It's a computer. A very cool (and expensive) computer but at the end of the day still just a computer.

Why not open the store and positively impact the neighborhood rather than worry about what the neighborhood is going to do to Apple. Did we think that hard when we opened the Apple Store in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin? [/CENTER]
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not sure I follow. 'No' means against, which is a negative stance to the prop. But it's a positive stance on civil rights.

Apple had no business involving its business in California Prop 8, period. Regardless of ones viewpoint the matter is on the California ballot to be decided by California voters. No business should have involved itself or its resources in either promoting or attempting to defeat Prop 8.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blogorant View Post

Apple had no business involving its business in California Prop 8, period. Regardless of ones viewpoint the matter is on the California ballot to be decided by California voters. No business should have involved itself or its resources in either promoting or attempting to defeat Prop 8.

Don't take his bait- he likes dragging politics into the arena all the time. This time it's California politics when the thread is about NYC real estate.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

What happened to the Wall Street store plans?

What's Wall Street?
  • Reply 26 of 31
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What's Wall Street?

The Street to Nowhere.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Besides all of the "third-rate tourist merchants and rip-off artists" on 34th Street, there are all those middle-America tourists too. Mullets and Apple products just don't go together.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The Street to Nowhere.

• Reply 29 of 31
    [QUOTE=

"Apple had doubts about the compatibility of its leading-edge image with that of middle-America 34th St., at least as it currently stands," the report said. It noted that while retailers like Gap, American Eagle Outfitters and Forever 21 are happily situated along the row, "unfortunately, a lot of the old 34th Street -- third-rate tourist merchants and rip-off artists -- still remain."[/QUOTE]

Good move; it's too bad they wasted two years at that location. I formerly worked on West 34th street (a couple of blocks away); thankfully work in downtown Brooklyn now. 34th street is great for tourists and people who work in the area.

While I agree with the post which said that three Manhattan stores are enough (I've been to Soho and West 14th street; like them both, but prefer Soho) ... it would be nice if they really wanted a fourth NYC store to put it in downtown Brooklyn. That would be accessible from almost all parts of Brooklyn via mass transit. I'm just concerned that they might stick it in Williamsburgh ... a pain to get to unless you live there. I can get to either Apple Soho or Apple West 14th st. in approximately 40 min (door to door); to get to W'burgh would be well over an hour!
  • Reply 30 of 31
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I thought the 4th "flagship" store was going to the former Victoria's Secret space on the Upper West Side? Is that still to go ahead?

Exactly. That's the one I was waiting for....
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I think apple really needs east coast headquarters. Or even make their own skyscraper like Bank Of America is finishing now. Its the greenest building on the block. Apple could use the recycled metals from its computers and ipods for some sort of structure. That would be crazy.

ahhh....anyway

Apple has had an east coast headquarters in Manhattan for over 20 years.

It's located in the CitiCorp building although I vaguely remember hearing that they were moving to a much larger location last year.

Apple has corporate offices in most major cities.