Second Apple analyst sees "softness" in iPhone demand

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

There's also one other problem, Apple may be a victim of its own success here. The current iPhone may be so good that users may be hesitant to get a new phone when their 2-year contract expires.

If they change the casing back to metal, add 802.11n, make the camera better, add a frontside camera for video chatting, add 32GB, etc, I will buy a new iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I finally ordered my iPod Touch last night- was going to get 32GB but decided at last minute to go for 16GB in case either they add 3G or a camera next year and then I will want an upgrade.

I thought the whole point of an iPod Touch was to have the touch screen functionality of the iPhone, and share some apps as well

People who buy the iPod Touch don't want a 2 year contract, 3G would be useless unless the iTunes wifi store is able to work on it

Besides, Apple are marketing it as a games console almost.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougelo7 View Post

I'm sorry but isn't that the whole point of buying an iPhone - to get the cellular antennae and the camera?

I can see Apple adding a camera to iPod touch, but there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that they will put in a 3G chip.

While I agree that 3G won't happen I see no reason for it not to have a camera - especially when showing pics is part of its main attraction. I think they just held back on that for next year to entice an upgrade therefore only 16GB for me this year.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fotek2001 View Post

I've had my iPhone since February and have never had a dropped call. For that matter I've never heard of anyone I know reporting one either (not to say it hasn't happened)...

Maybe the issue is with network coverage in your area and not the phone itself?

Well i been a iphone user since day one, but since i upgraded to the new 3G model i have had nothing but problems, piece of advice to you, don't upgrade to the new 3G, well at least not for now
  • Reply 25 of 56
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

Then why is it rated close to the bottom of carriers per Consumer Reports?

Dude every carrier has problems, to constantly point out AT&T while making Verizon seem like heaven is quite laughable. Every network has problems with dropped calls, places where you can't get signals, etc. If you like Verizon so much go for them, just don't expect everyone to be like you, Verizon is known for nickle and diming folks, why hasn't everyone flocked to them if they are as perfect as you want us to be.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    With the imminent launch of widespread WiMax (FCC approved the new Clearwire company yesterday) I foresee future iPhone iterations taking advantage of this additional spectrum to fill in coverage gaps, especially after Apple has decoupled from at&t.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fotek2001 View Post

I've had my iPhone since February and have never had a dropped call. For that matter I've never heard of anyone I know reporting one either (not to say it hasn't happened)...

Maybe the issue is with network coverage in your area and not the phone itself?

Almost the same experience with the iPhone here in Toronto. I've only had a couple of dropped calls (out of about 250 calls), which is pretty much the same as every other cell phone I've used.

Sounds like an issue with AT&T's network in NYC...
  • Reply 28 of 56
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

How about a cutback to drain current inventory and introduce a 32GB version after the holidays?

It would not affect the supply chain --- Apple would still need to buy those chipsets for the 32 GB iphone.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

A lot of iPhone buyers won't do any research about the AT&T network, and will be more concerned about what color the phone comes in. It's hard to support your argument when the iPhone has demonstrated a significant ability to get people to switch carriers.

It's really easy to forget what a minority the people are who read AppleInsider. I'm a pretty demanding user. But I have no hesitation about giving AT&T a try when my contract is up with Verizon.

Pretty good point. I for one would not change networks just for a phone. Nokia will release two new TS phones in the very near future. Both will be unlocked, and have many more features than the iPhone for a lower price. This alone is incentive to walk on by the neighborhood Apple or AT&T store.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    If you look at the iPod sales, they're very cyclical. Most of the volume is sold when a new model is released and at Christmas. I assume that the iPhone will follow a similar pattern.

It's no surprise that in-between the release of the iPhone 3G and Christmas there will be a dip in sales.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Dude every carrier has problems, to constantly point out AT&T while making Verizon seem like heaven is quite laughable. Every network has problems with dropped calls, places where you can't get signals, etc. If you like Verizon so much go for them, just don't expect everyone to be like you, Verizon is known for nickle and diming folks, why hasn't everyone flocked to them if they are as perfect as you want us to be.

I understand your anger man, you're the one with the phone call problems -not me. BTW I like any carrier that doesn't drop calls -it could be XYZ- it doesn't have to be Verizon. And I'm sorry you have such an awesome phone on such a lousy carrier AT&T (repeatedly on the bottom of consumer's lists)- too bad. Don't worry- iPhone in Europe I hear is awesome.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

Pretty good point. I for one would not change networks just for a phone.

A person of common sense.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougelo7 View Post

If they change the casing back to metal, ...., I will buy a new iPhone.

Change the casing back to metal? You really want poorer signal reception?
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

...Sounds like an issue with AT&T's network in NYC...

There is definitely something screwy with the at&t network here in New York.

I recently took a trip out to the Midwest and was shocked by how good the at&t reception was.

There wasn't any 3G but the Edge network was significantly "snappier" than back in NY.

Calls were also much clearer and didn't experience any dropped calls while in 3 different states.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

...Verizon is known for nickle and diming folks...

I got so many bogus charges on my account while I was with them. You really have to go over your bill every month with a fine tooth comb to make sure your not getting hit with some hidden charge.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

There is definitely something screwy with the at&t network here in New York.

I recently took a trip out to the Midwest and was shocked by how good the at&t reception was.

There wasn't any 3G but the Edge network was significantly "snappier" than back in NY.

Calls were also much clearer and didn't experience any dropped calls while in 3 different states.

Probably something to do with signals bouncing off the canyon walls between those buildings.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Probably something to do with signals bouncing off the canyon walls between those buildings.

All signals bounce off walls. They do not home in on your phone's antenna. AT&T sucks pure and simple. No amount of apologizing will make that go away.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    Quote:

I understand your anger man, you're the one with the phone call problems -not me. BTW I like any carrier that doesn't drop calls -it could be XYZ- it doesn't have to be Verizon. And I'm sorry you have such an awesome phone on such a lousy carrier AT&T (repeatedly on the bottom of consumer's lists)- too bad. Don't worry- iPhone in Europe I hear is awesome.

The networks in Europe are better and the operators have been doing this for a few years. Apple and AT&T cook up these stupid stories that people are so willing to swallow. I really got a first hand glimpse of how utterly useless the iPhone truly is. My DSL went down over the weekend a few weeks back. I know, I'll tether my iPhone to my Mac. NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apple in its wisdom removed a most basic function that just about ALL mobile phones have. Sooooo, I jumped into my car, went and purchased a Nokia N85, connected to the Internet all weekend and have not put my SIM card back in the iPhone. It just sits in the dock charging. Of course the apologists will say how wonderful it is for Apple to come up with this idiotic idea or how it is not Apples fault. Anyway, Nokia now has a new customer for sure.

Oh, did I mention that I can make VoIP calls without having to find a wifi hotspot?
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

All signals bounce off walls. They do not home in on your phone's antenna. AT&T sucks pure and simple. No amount of apologizing will make that go away.

Calm down, junior.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    I've never had a problem with AT&T's signal strength, but I live in SoCal. I did have problems in Palm Springs with an old Blackjack (I was borrowing from a friend because my previous phone died about a month before iPhone 3G came out) mostly indoors. I've been up there a couple times since with my iPhone 3G and I have better reception now. I've only experienced one dropped call ever and I believe that was because I was in an apartment building on the ground floor and the phone was trying to switch from 3G to Edge. So my usage to error ratio is pretty average for a mobile phone.

As for why the iPhone won't tether... I don't know why it shouldn't. Both Apple and AT&T stand to gain from that feature being added, even if it's an extra $10 charge per month or something.

AT&T isn't that bad. Verizon cripples many phones ported to their network, or removes native features to add V-branded ones that cost more per month and are less usable. Verizon isn't that bad either. I've never had Sprint, though I had Nextel before the merger and it was poor signal all the time. I've never had T-Mobile either, though I hear then have great plans but poor coverage. So I guess T-Mobile isn't that bad either. Any service you choose has positives and negatives. Each person has to individually weigh which options would better for them. The iPhone isn't perfect, but it fits my needs (read: wants). If it doesn't work for you, good luck finding the right phone for you.