Hard drive backorders delaying MacBook shipments

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Earlier this week, we reported that hard drive related issue appear to be delaying shipments of two Apple notebook configurations, namely the standard 1.6GHz MacBook Air and MacBook Pros custom ordered with a the $50 320GB Serial ATA @ 7200 option.

It was noted that the faster 320GB drive is currently delaying MacBook Pros by up to one week, while the Air's standard 120GB drive has led to a whopping three-week delay.

In an email Thursday, one reader noted that his MacBook Pro has been delayed nearly three weeks now and he was just informed by the Apple Store that a backorder on the 320GB 7200 HD drive is the root cause of the problem.

It can potentially be inferred from this that a nearly identical issue is holding up shipments of the 1.6GHz MacBook Air. In both cases, it appears Apple hopes to begin shipped all the notebooks in volume by the last week of November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    My Apple store only has the 250 GB hd for $50 more. The 320 GB 7200 RPM is a $150 option.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I ordered a MacBook Pro with the 320GB @ 7200rpm HDD; it took two weeks from placing the order to it actually arriving. This was consistent with the lead time for the PowerBook G4 I bought a couple of years ago.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Does this mean the HDD are faulty?

Ouch, because if they are mine is due to arrive on tuesday with a 320 @ 7200 HDD!!!\

So anny ideas ?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Why do I have to find this information here ?

Couldn't Apple communicate this on their website or in the order info for those who customized the MacBook Pro with this option ?

I placed my order oct 20, and still no tracking number.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I ordered a new 2.8 MBP with the 320GB@7200RPM drive on October 21st.

The tenth business day (last possible day to ship) was Tuesday, but they pushed my shipment another 2-4 business days. Then yesterday they pushed it again and it now sits at 5-7 business days, and arriving between November 17 & 21.

Luckily, after days on the phone, I have finally found someone in customer service who is willing to work for me, to try and find out what is going on.

They are lucky I am such an Apple freak. Any other company would have seen me gone a long time ago.

Peace & timely shipping,

Jason "trying to be patient" Weaver
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmancho View Post

Does this mean the HDD are faulty?

Ouch, because if they are mine is due to arrive on tuesday with a 320 @ 7200 HDD!!!\

So anny ideas ?

LOL I think I would consider yourself lucky... Enjoy your new MacBook Pro and let us know how it goes...!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    NEW WARNING: I have to say this may have to do with vibration issues on Western Digital 320GB 7200RPM drives.

See this thread and please contribute whatever information you have on your 7200RPM drives, whatever the SIZE. Thanks.

Speculation at this stage but we need more information.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=1#post1338371
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I've had my 2.8GHz MacBook Pro with a 320GB @ 7200rpm hard drive for about two weeks now, and I've not noticed any vibration problems. This is the Apple-installed HDD I'm talking about here.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cousin Dirk View Post

I've had my 2.8GHz MacBook Pro with a 320GB @ 7200rpm hard drive for about two weeks now, and I've not noticed any vibration problems. This is the Apple-installed HDD I'm talking about here.

By not any vibration problems, do you mean there is not any vibration at all, even slightly? I just wanna know if I am too sensitive about this vibration thing.