What do you think will/should be the shape of the new Apple Mac Mini?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
  • Reply 22 of 52
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

I love this design.

A true classic
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Seeing as I just bought a new Alu MacBook (loving it!) I am not in the market for a Mini anymore. However, this may change in the next year or so if Apple can find a way to finally let me get rid of my TiVo once and for all. With that in mind, here are my 2 cents.

I don't see them coming out with the MacMini Barrel up there, it's just not where Apple is anymore. Maybe they could have released that alongside the iMac G4s (similar design concept), but not now considering their current lineup. The curent minis are very minimalist and elegant, and have a place in many living rooms. I doubt many will want a Mac barrel under their TV. And With the sleek new MacBooks and MacBook Pros, and the fancy manufacturing process, I see them sticking with a similar level of aesthetics. I like the idea of it being round, instead of a rounded square, but it would have to be partially aluminum, and definitely machined from a solid brick again. I think they will want to make the HD and Ram easily swappable. In keeping with current designs I expect to say adios to the white frosted glass top, and probably a black glossy glass top. Who knows they may just merge the mini and the ATV into one killer device and let people run with it as they see fit.

I just need DVR functionality, a decent price, and HDMI output and I would most likely be sold (is I can talk my wife into it).
  • Reply 24 of 52
    I wish I had the money to afford a second house the style of which would suit the steam punk stuff.

and then I'd have my normal house, where I would live in the modern age, and the steam punk house for when I felt Victorian or Edwardian (at a pinch)

Full furnished with servants of course!

--

New mini please, just upgrade the CPU and HDD... AND KEEP THE DAMN FIREWIRE at least for now PLEASE!!!!!!!! more than that and I'm ok as well

otherwise I'll have to throw out a perfectly good AND NEW audio interface.

dumping firewire is a real "Killing Kenny" moment - "You Bastards!"

---

This seems to be what most people (who post in forums) want, but with a bigger HDD and for $100 less
  • Reply 25 of 52
    The Mac mini just needs to have its internals updated with:
    • 2.0 GHz "Penryn" processor

• 1066 MHz front-side bus

• 2 GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-8500) with support for 4 GB RAM

• NVIDIA GeForce 9400M "graphics processor

• AirPort Extreme (802.11a/b/g/n)

• Bluetooth 2.1+EDR

• 8X DL "SuperDrive"

• DisplayPort with a standard connector.

The only other things Apple needs to do are:
    1. Either keep FireWire400 or replace it with FireWire800. I can see dropping FireWire when USB 3.0 is available because it is faster and we should get at least FireWire400 speeds when using a FireWire400-to-USB 3.0 adapter.

2. Make it more user-serviceable so we can change the RAM and hard drive ourselves.

• Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

The Mac mini just needs to have its internals updated with:
    • 2.0 GHz "Penryn" processor

• 1066 MHz front-side bus

• 2 GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-8500) with support for 4 GB RAM

• NVIDIA GeForce 9400M "graphics processor

• AirPort Extreme (802.11a/b/g/n)

• Bluetooth 2.1+EDR

• 8X DL "SuperDrive"

• DisplayPort with a standard connector.

The only other things Apple needs to do are:
    1. Either keep FireWire400 or replace it with FireWire800. I can see dropping FireWire when USB 3.0 is available because it is faster and we should get at least FireWire400 speeds when using a FireWire400-to-USB 3.0 adapter.

2. Make it more user-serviceable so we can change the RAM and hard drive ourselves.

add 128 to 512 of vram that is not part of system ram.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I wish I had the money to afford a second house the style of which would suit the steam punk stuff.

and then I'd have my normal house, where I would live in the modern age, and the steam punk house for when I felt Victorian or Edwardian (at a pinch)

Full furnished with servants of course!

--

New mini please, just upgrade the CPU and HDD... AND KEEP THE DAMN FIREWIRE at least for now PLEASE!!!!!!!! more than that and I'm ok as well

otherwise I'll have to throw out a perfectly good AND NEW audio interface.

dumping firewire is a real "Killing Kenny" moment - "You Bastards!"

---

This seems to be what most people (who post in forums) want, but with a bigger HDD and for $100 less

It's posts like this that make me wonder why people think that nobody can replace Jobs.

This is a great idea, and an even greater layout.

I would be standing in line to buy this!!!

Bravo!
  • Reply 28 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

It's posts like this that make me wonder why people think that nobody can replace Jobs.

So you have a machine, which btw is a desktop with a nearly entirely redundant LCD screen on the side, an ipod dock which to anyone who doesn't have an ipod is a waste of money. For some reason, it has quadrupled in footprint - no real reason why. Do I even have to say why the click wheel is ridiculous? This is old technology, the display itself would be touch-based if it needed one but you have a remote and a control on the ipod itself.

If this is what people think is a good idea then I suddenly fear the day when Jobs steps down.

The Mini isn't a media device. It's a fully fledged computer so it cannot have parts stuck to it that only apply to a media device. The reason why people can use it for media is the fact that the Mini is simplistic and modular. People can make it what they want.

You can put a Mini inside a Mac SE, inside a car, in a server rack, under your TV and use it for all these things well. No other Mac can do this. As soon as you change it to suit one of these things more, it affects the others.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    here's a new Mac mini mockup from Isamu Sanada:

• Reply 30 of 52
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Dam, that would be shitty. Nice effort though.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    That is actually how I'd like to see the Mini eventually. There is an issue with the optical drive though because it can't go in the middle. A hard drive has to go in there too. It would have to go more to one side or on the right of the machine.

The reason I want to see this shape is that can make upgrading Ram and HD so much easier. You'd just flip the lid up and the parts would be instantly accessible.

It could sit on the Cinema display base too.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

So you have a machine, which btw is a desktop with a nearly entirely redundant LCD screen on the side, an ipod dock which to anyone who doesn't have an ipod is a waste of money. For some reason, it has quadrupled in footprint - no real reason why. Do I even have to say why the click wheel is ridiculous? This is old technology, the display itself would be touch-based if it needed one but you have a remote and a control on the ipod itself.

If this is what people think is a good idea then I suddenly fear the day when Jobs steps down.

The Mini isn't a media device. It's a fully fledged computer so it cannot have parts stuck to it that only apply to a media device. The reason why people can use it for media is the fact that the Mini is simplistic and modular. People can make it what they want.

You can put a Mini inside a Mac SE, inside a car, in a server rack, under your TV and use it for all these things well. No other Mac can do this. As soon as you change it to suit one of these things more, it affects the others.

BTW I don't think apple should bring out the pic i linked to, but its what "most people in forums" seem to want..

as I said, just up the HDD and the CPU and keep firewire and I'd be happy... a little more in GPU or N wireless would just be so much icing
  • Reply 33 of 52
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I want a Double Size of current Mac Mini, i.e Cube Shape.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

add 128 to 512 of vram that is not part of system ram.

Yes, given a choice, I would rather have dedicated graphics, such as the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT that is in the MacBook Pro; however, since the Mac mini is supposed to be an "entry-level" model, I did not specify dedicated graphics.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:

I want a Double Size of current Mac Mini, i.e Cube Shape.

Amen.

That would be Apple's PC TV Server Hub Thing (TM)

And would also keep X-Mac crowd fairly teh quiet.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:

Yes, given a choice, I would rather have dedicated graphics, such as the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT that is in the MacBook Pro; however, since the Mac mini is supposed to be an "entry-level" model, I did not specify dedicated graphics.

entry-level is $500 $600 and that can have on board video. The $700 to $800 mini can have better video with it's own ram.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    The Mac mini will not be updated or if it is will have one last upgrade (processor up to 2.4GHz and Intel X3100 graphics) before being finally discontinued.

The Mac mini's purpose back in 2005 was to ease the switcher. The desktop PC user already had a monitor and input devices they wanted to reuse. The Mac mini made it easier for them to hop onto the Mac bandwagon.

In 2009, the home consumer market is more likely to upgrade to the MacBook than the mini. It's an all in one and it's faster than the mini is now. Why have a computer with the power and expandability of a laptop but without the portability of one? You even have the option to connect a monitor to the MacBook. The mini's days are numbered. It will be replaced by the MacBook, an upgraded AppleTV, and maybe another machine between the Mac Pro and the mini. The latter is a long shot but so is the continued existence of the mini. Why else would Apple let it languish? Why else would Apple release a monitor that is especially designed to be connected to laptops?
  • Reply 38 of 52
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:

Still, it could be an option. You don't need to have high end specs across the board, but it would be nice to have options. Lets face it, most of us on this board are likely not the type of people that would just walk into a store and walk out with a computer, but would more likely make our own configuration on the apple store. If they put out a dirt cheap, integrated graphics option that the average "switcher" could buy, but had options that involved more robust graphics I'd be happy.

Really, the more options, the better. I know plenty of people on here want to be able to open up the machine and switch stuff out, but I'd happily do without that if I just had the right options at the time of buying it. After all, if a maxed-out Mini fulfills my needs, and I can get it for a grand or so, then I'll take it. On top of that, if its maxed out, why would I need to open it up?

I also agree on upping the size. While I do love the compact footprint, I do worry that the form factor is limiting in terms of what goes inside. Naturally, the size does make it flexible (look at people that install it in cars), but the flipside is that the guts of the machine are limited. The mini is a desktop, and last I checked desktops don't need to worry about form factor like laptops do. If we had more "desktop grade" innards I'd happy go with a larger form factor.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    might a thin strong aluminum body open up a little space inside (by reducing thickness)?

I think the mini is designed to sell with an "oooh look how nice this one looks" factor to "switchers," so i wouldn't be surprised if it shrinks a bit, but i'd prefer 3.5" hard drive size enclosure to keep the costs as low as possible and provide a solid desktop machine that has good value, not crappy value and decent aesthetics.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    I still think the Cube was fine; the redesign into the mini worked, of course, though Sanada's designs are pretty good!

/Users/TFC/Desktop/80333001.jpg