iPhone trumps RAZR as most purchased US consumer handset

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

The appeal of the RAZR is it's extremely usable, portable, compact design. The appeal of the iPhone is it's extremely expandable functionality and easy interface. All of those have to do with functionality. Did anyone really think the RAZR was a fashion statement?

Ugh, a friend showed me her razr the other day, what a piece of crap.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

RAZR popularity was in large part due to being a fashion statement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Yeah! They are horrible phones but... thin was in.

So everything Americans do is just an attempt to get other people to think they're cool? I want to say that's ridiculous, but I have a sinking feeling it may be true.

Here I thought I owned a Mac and an iPhone because they were compact, easy to use, and had the functionalities I want. And I thought I had given serious thought to a RAZR because it would fit well in my pocket. But then again, I guess I'm not your typical American. Heck I even take the bus sometimes, despite having a perfectly functional car. \
  • Reply 23 of 25
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

So everything Americans do is just an attempt to get other people to think they're cool? I want to say that's ridiculous, but I have a sinking feeling it may be true.

It's a human thing, not an American thing. There isn't a culture in the world that doesn't act in ways to appeal to others.

Quote:

Here I thought I owned a Mac and an iPhone because they were compact, easy to use, and had the functionalities I want. And I thought I had given serious thought to a RAZR because it would fit well in my pocket. But then again, I guess I'm not your typical American. Heck I even take the bus sometimes, despite having a perfectly functional car. \

I'm with you on this, I buy products because they fit my utilitarian needs and my nomadic nature which requires as few personal items as possible, which is why I like my MacBook, my MSI Wind, my iPhone and iPod Shuffle, but I would not hesitate to jump ship if something better comes along. While the RAZR may have fit your pocket space requirements, most people were buying them because of their styling, which includes the "it's so small" effect, which is a common draw for CE.

I'm sure you'll agree that some are buying Macs and iPhones because they are considered cool right now, while other, more informed people, are buying them because they fit their needs.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Hey I have just seen second hand 2Gs selling for over £250 on eBay! Should I sell my unlocked 2G (£20/month T-mobile) and go legit with a contract 3G (£35/month O2) and increase Apple sales figures for this quarter?
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greendave View Post

Personally, I can't wait for Microsoft's Ballmer to eat his words as Windows mobile falls into irrelevance.

Oh for frig's sake, let it go already. Steve Ballmer made those comments under a totally different set of circumstances, before the final feature set of the iPhone was known (remember back then, no SDK in the foreseeable future, no serious enterprise support, and some of the major features were hazy at best) and back when the price was stupid expensive. Apple proved him right a mere month after release by lowering the price.

Come on. I'm no fan of Steve Ballmer, but the constant drumbeat of "Ballmer was wrong" across Apple forums is embarrassing. The worst you can nail him for is not having the foresight to see that Apple was going to do with the iPhone what they did with the iPod (lower costs, expand features, etc.) But as far as his criticism back when the iPhone was announced, he was dead-on accurate.

What's really curious about that however is it makes you wonder why he can't turn a critical eye like that to his own company. He can zero in on Apple's faults pretty precisely but seems blinded to those of Microsoft itself.