Sesame Street on iTunes; 4th NYC store building; DC back taxes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Parents now have the option of buying full Sesame Street shows from iTunes to keep their children up to date. Meanwhile, Apple has started its earliest construction work on its fourth Manhattan-area retail store but still owes a hefty amount in back taxes for an unused Washington, DC location.

Sesame Street launches on iTunes

While already available on public access TV, PBS' long-running childrens' show Sesame Street is now available on iTunes.

Currently only available for the 35th season, the show is priced at the standard $1.99 per episode. Other, more recent seasons will be available over time, but classic episodes won't be available for now as PBS is keen to protect DVD sales for its earliest 10 seasons.

The initiative launches at the same time as similar efforts on the web through Hulu and YouTube.

Construction starts on fourth Manhattan Apple store

It's still in the early going, but Apple's fourth flagship in New York City's Manhattan borough has finally gotten underway, Racked notes in a new photo collection.

Living up to reports from nearly a year ago, Apple has torn out the old Victoria's Secret building at the corner of 67th and Broadway in favor of its own, still-unknown design.

The early stages of Apple's 67th and Broadway store. Image credits: Racked.

In its present state, the new store is unlikely to launch until well into 2009 at the earliest.

Apple out on taxes for Washington, DC retail space

A curious AppleInsider reader has noticed that Apple hasn't yet paid its taxes on its long-inactive Washington, DC location along Wisconsin Avenue in the capital city.

We passed the tip along to veteran retail tracker Gary Allen of ifo Apple Store, who confirmed the report through local records that show Apple hasn't paid the $70,162.17 in taxes it owes after purchasing the property in September of last year. The more than year-long delay has led the city's government to issue two penalties that have now boosted the Mac maker's taxes owed to $84,545.42.

Why Apple hasn't paid the taxes remains a mystery, as does if or when Apple will develop and open a store in the area. Apple has a number of stores in close range, including its very early Tysons Corner store in 2001, but has never opened a proper Washington location.

Apple's back taxes on its unused Washington, DC retail property. Image credits: ifo Apple Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The more than year-long delay has led the city's government to issue two penalties that have now boosted the Mac maker's taxes owed to $84,545.42.

Geeez, maybe they are waiting on a reassessment based on the downturn of the economy.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Sesame Street on public access channels? I don't think so.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Hey New York! Step away from the Mirror for five minutes.

At this point, no one gives a rats ass that you're getting another f'n store.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Pretty curious that they haven't progressed on the Georgetown store, the location is great and the clientele has unlimited cash. The Arlington location is close to it but people in DC do not cross the river to go to Arlington for anything as insignificant as an iPod. Really they should close the Crystal City mall location and open the Georgetown location to get a better overall market opportunity.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Living up to reports from nearly a year ago, Apple has torn out the old Victoria's Secret building at the corner of 67th and Broadway in favor of its own, still-unknown design.

I thought various parts of the design have to be public record, esp. with regards to zoning, utilities and emergency services.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

I think they meant public television, as in PBS. Unless I am mistaken, that's where Sesame Street has always been.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

Yes, that Sesame Street.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

Geeez, maybe they are waiting on a reassessment based on the downturn of the economy.

Too late for that. Taxes due are still due.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

We do!

Like it or not, the three that are here are already often too already.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I thought various parts of the design have to be public record, esp. with regards to zoning, utilities and emergency services.

Yes. They must file plans.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, that Sesame Street.

I don't think it's available on the Public Access channels. It's available on the Public Broadcasting Network.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Interesting on the DC taxes issue. I walked through Georgetown this past week, and one of the empty stores on Wisconsin Ave., which I believe to be the new Apple location, seems like it is in the process of being renovated. Wonder if this is just a mistake or oversight on the taxes??
  • Reply 13 of 21
    As for the Sesame Street addition, SINCE WHEN DO LITTLE KIDS NEED AN iPOD ANYWAY. In case one has not noticed, teens already feel that they are entitled to everything. This will only make little kids feel the same way. iTunes needs to do something more functional with their iTunes Store - like adding a METAL section or adding full-text e-books like the Kindle has. (Just my opinion)
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Sorry to disappoint you, but Apple follows the money.

Manhattan has 3 million people. New York City has 8 million people. Greater New York has something like 14 or 15 million people.

Manhattan is flooded with tourists spending dollars like monopoly money... which the dollar kinda IS these days.

Simply trying to navigate the sidewalks can be a nightmare some days. (That's why I love my bikes!)

The three Apple Stores in Manhattan are already too crowded, especially the Fifth Avenue Store. So, another Apple Store would do well, especially given it's location (across town and Central Park), the Upper West Side, which is in many ways a big, high-end shopping mall... plus a high-income residential area. Besides, Lincoln Center (Metropolitan Opera, New York Philharmonic, City Opera, Julliard, etc.) is only 2 blocks away. basically, it's a prime spot.

I live only a few blocks from the new store site and walk past fairly often, so it'll be fun to watch it take shape.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yes. They must file plans.

But those aren't open to the public? I'm just puzzled how the story says that the design is unknown. How can the public support or object to the zoning board if they don't know what it's going to look like?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

But those aren't open to the public? I'm just puzzled how the story says that the design is unknown. How can the public support or object to the zoning board if they don't know what it's going to look like?

There are some butt-ugly buildings around there. Lots of hideous, cheaply built, but insanely expensive apartment towers.

Anything Apple does will be a jewel amongst turds.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

There are some butt-ugly buildings around there. Lots of hideous, cheaply built, but insanely expensive apartment towers.

Anything Apple does will be a jewel amongst turds.

I didn't say otherwise, what I'm saying (or trying to say) is that the procedure is the same, or at least should be the same for all applicants. From what I understand of these kinds of procedures, the design of a building shouldn't be a secret.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crtaylor View Post

As for the Sesame Street addition, SINCE WHEN DO LITTLE KIDS NEED AN iPOD ANYWAY. In case one has not noticed, teens already feel that they are entitled to everything. This will only make little kids feel the same way. iTunes needs to do something more functional with their iTunes Store - like adding a METAL section or adding full-text e-books like the Kindle has. (Just my opinion)

It used to be, who needs a telephone. Then a record player. Then an automobile. Then it was a radio, then B/W Tv. Then color Tv. Then a cellphone.

That's just the way things evolve. What seems to be a luxury item becomes normal, then after a while, for most people, it even becomes a necessity.

It was even that way with glasses, before everyone could read.

Be sure that things you haven't imagined, will someday be thought of as required.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Too late for that. Taxes due are still due.

Well, you are right - unless they have an appeal process in DC. They do in NC and some other states, as well as not being delinquent until 12/31 of the tax year. Obviously that is not the case in DC.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Yes, the filed plans are open to the public, other than some features that are not required to be known for the purpose of safety, zoning, codes, etc. Most developers open the entire file though. In fact, all new construction must go through the Community boards for the district they will be erected in, if they need to get a variance. If it's a historical district, then they must show why they are removing what thy are removing, and get approval for that, and then get approval for the new facade.

It can be complex. But plans MUST be filed.