New seed sees Apple near wrap-up of Mac OS X 10.5.6

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    *sigh*

Resolution Independence:

? A must when using a high pixel-density display

This allows UI interface elements to be the same size no matter how low or high pixel-density of a screen is. Of course, this also means that if the UI elements are the same size regardless of the display, the higher density displays will show crisper graphics and/or greater detail.

? Still interesting to have on today's lower pixel-density displays

While Apple has no interest in allowing someone to arbitrarily scale the UI, it can be interesting to scale the UI when using the computer from a distance. People that have wireless peripherals have a chance of sitting far away from a display and scale the display's UI so that everything is clear and legible on the screen. The current 'Zoom' feature in OS X is *not* adequate since it simply zooms into a part of the screen.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Still interesting to have on today's lower pixel-density displays

While Apple has no interest in allowing someone to arbitrarily scale the UI, it can be interesting to scale the UI when using the computer from a distance. People that have wireless peripherals have a chance of sitting far away from a display and scale the display's UI so that everything is clear and legible on the screen. The current 'Zoom' feature in OS X is *not* adequate since it simply zooms into a part of the screen.

Besides working from a distance, there's also the issue of accessability. My parents (aged around 80) would have a lot of trouble with a regular sized UI on a modern screen. That's why the use Vista. It allows them to scale the whole UI for all programs, and makes the screen readable for them.

Previous "accessability features" either enlarged the whole screen with fonts upscaled in an ugly way, or else had weird magnifying glass effects. Just making everything bigger makes it easier for people who are not nearly blind, but can't squint like us young folks.

Mmm, I think I'm getting too old to count myself among the "young folks"
  • Reply 63 of 67
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

As I said, people will be pointing out that it was never promised as a point release feature...HOWEVER, Apple was seriously twisting arms. Apple was telling developers to make their UIs resolution independent. I see EVERY reason why developers should be upset over this.

Panic had developed a completely rez-independent Coda...for naught. While they may not have changed the UI significantly between 1.0 and 1.6, perhaps 2.0 will sport a different interface and all the work spent on rez-independence in 1.x was for absolutely nothing since 10.5 is unlikely to ever enable rez-independence.

Why was Apple bullying developers into creating rez-independent UIs? SHAME ON APPLE. And shame on the apologists.

At WWDC 07 Apple told developers to be ready by the end of 2008.

When looking at the timeframe between 10.4 and 10.5 most assumed that it meant that Apple would enable RI in a 10.5.x update (and that's still possible), but now it seems that 10.6 is what they meant.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by synp View Post

Besides working from a distance, there's also the issue of accessability. My parents (aged around 80) would have a lot of trouble with a regular sized UI on a modern screen. That's why the use Vista. It allows them to scale the whole UI for all programs, and makes the screen readable for them.

Previous "accessability features" either enlarged the whole screen with fonts upscaled in an ugly way, or else had weird magnifying glass effects. Just making everything bigger makes it easier for people who are not nearly blind, but can't squint like us young folks.

Mmm, I think I'm getting too old to count myself among the "young folks"

Yep, and it's not just old folks who benefit too.

I know a number of visually-impaired individuals (optic nerve damage at birth due to a doctor screw-up, birth defects, severe cataracts, damage from diabetes, etc) and they would benefit greatly from being able to scale up the UI easily and clearly. The various 'voice reader' software solutions tend to be expensive, and do slow you down a lot.

• Reply 65 of 67
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    This "near wrap-up" is more than 2 weeks ago. I wan't my update dammit!
  • Reply 66 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

This "near wrap-up" is more than 2 weeks ago. I wan't my update dammit!

If you look at the history of the Leopard seeds, they have been releasing many of these "wrap up", "no known issues" develop builds prior to actually releasing them.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you look at the history of the Leopard seeds, they have been releasing many of these "wrap up", "no known issues" develop builds prior to actually releasing them.

And Apple is not the one calling them "wrap up" builds... that is the rumor forums.