Apple flirting with another record quarter for Mac sales

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Apple could have a huge christmas quarter if they cut their black friday prices a little more.

Then Jan-March sales would be down 'cause Dell would have its Chapter 11 sale and MS would do a Fire Sale on Zune with so many left overs after Xmas.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I overheard a woman in the Apple store telling the Apple guy that speed was important to her, as he described features of a Macbook. She sounded like she had a clue. When he described the hard drive she said, "Hard drive - what does that do again?" No - you can't expect the customer to know their camera won't work. To you it's Firewire. To them it's a plug.

You are absolutely right on this point about FW. Makes me so angry Apple would pull a move like this... it's so... Apple!
  • Reply 23 of 29
    As an iPhone 3G user, I know a couple of my co-workers are in the market.

As for the Mac, I look forward to purchase a 2.4Ghz MacBook or go straight to the 2.53Ghz MBP before Christmas.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

3. I overheard a woman in the Apple store telling the Apple guy that speed was important to her, as he described features of a Macbook. She sounded like she had a clue. When he described the hard drive she said, "Hard drive - what does that do again?" No - you can't expect the customer to know their camera won't work. To you it's Firewire. To them it's a plug.

At the start of the digital video camera age, it was only the higher end DV cameras which used Firewire. The consumer level cams were still analog (tape/video out).

There was a brief period where a lot of consumer-level cameras had only Firewire/iLink, but nowadays most consumer-level cams tend to use memory cards and/or support both USB and Firewire. So again, there's a relatively small number of people who have the FW-only cams. A number which will decrease over time as people buy new cameras.

Apple has always been among the first to deprecate technology on their systems (floppy drive, pre-USB keyboard and mouse connectors), so it's not really a surprise.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

At the start of the digital video camera age, it was only the higher end DV cameras which used Firewire. The consumer level cams were still analog (tape/video out).

There was a brief period where a lot of consumer-level cameras had only Firewire/iLink, but nowadays most consumer-level cams tend to use memory cards and/or support both USB and Firewire. So again, there's a relatively small number of people who have the FW-only cams. A number which will decrease over time as people buy new cameras.

Apple has always been among the first to deprecate technology on their systems (floppy drive, pre-USB keyboard and mouse connectors), so it's not really a surprise.

Agreed - Apple is great at deprecating old tech. In this case I think they were a year too early. I stick to my example of the disappointed first time Mac buyer.

And I know this can be argued all day, and I'm not really that interested in it, even though I'm one of the few with a FW only camera. btw - do you know what that "few" number actually is? Sony sold a hell of a lot of them. In fact, they still sell them.

That said, I'll probably buy a Macbook in the next month or two despite the FW thing. I'm lucky enough to have a MBP for video.

One more year of FW and this wouldn't be a discussion. But with Sony still cranking out the cameras I think it was premature.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Agreed - Apple is great at deprecating old tech. In this case I think they were a year too early. [...]

One more year of FW and this wouldn't be a discussion.

Judging from the longevity of the previous MacBook design, the new design will be around a lot longer than a year. For now, just buy the old design and save a few $hundred if you care that much.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Judging from the longevity of the previous MacBook design, the new design will be around a lot longer than a year. For now, just buy the old design and save a few $hundred if you care that much.

You're actually helping make another point. I want the aluminum case. Apple mistakenly thinks Pro means 15" or larger. Size is a strange place to divide pro and consumer.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And USB 3.0 will put the final nail into Firewire's coffin. I fully expect Macs to move to USB 3.0 as soon as possible. Yes, Firewire is not standing still, but it's too late I think.

Any reason Target Mode cannot be made to work by Apple using USB 2 or 3? It is the only reason I'd miss FW on a MacBook since I'd not use it for my FW HD Sony FX1 editing machine anyway.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:

You're actually helping make another point. I want the aluminum case. Apple mistakenly thinks Pro means 15" or larger. Size is a strange place to divide pro and consumer.

Heh.

Lemon Bon Bon.