Is Your Boss an Idiot?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
My boss couldn't get another job if he wanted to. His work is basically getting taking taxpayer money and generating garbage research that never went anywhere for over 20 years. He gets paid a ridiculous sum of money yet he wouldn't last 2 weeks in my graduate school. He is failure itself.



Is your boss also an idiot?
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 32
    My current boss is a very intelligent reasonable man. I've actually been very lucky in my career as far as bosses are concerned, I've held - and still do hold - a great deal of respect for the vast majority of them.



    There have been a few exceptions though...
  • Reply 2 of 32
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paradicio View Post


    My current boss is a very intelligent reasonable man. I've actually been very lucky in my career as far as bosses are concerned, I've held - and still do hold - a great deal of respect for the vast majority of them.



    There have been a few exceptions though...



    You are lucky.



    All my bosses have either been smart but completely unreasonable assholes or dumb/annoying fools.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    I like my boss. I can't say she does everything as I would, but she is good to work for and recognizes good work and treats the employees well. No complaints.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    I hate my boss.



    She's brand new to managing and treats all staff like parolees.



    (She's a Parole Agent.)
  • Reply 5 of 32
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post


    I hate my boss.



    She's brand new to managing and treats all staff like parolees.



    (She's a Parole Agent.)



    Problem is, most of them never get any better.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    I am my own boss...
  • Reply 7 of 32
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    My bosses aren't idiots so much as clueless. They think we all have time to work on a million different projects. I was doing my review with big boss one day telling him that I don't have time for a dozen projects. He says that what he does ... he works on many projects at once. I reminded him that he as several dozen people that work for him and that I'm just me, no one works for me.



    It started to sink in.



    Now I just do the whole "okay I finished X and Y do you want Z next or A?"
  • Reply 8 of 32
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post


    My bosses aren't idiots so much as clueless. They think we all have time to work on a million different projects. I was doing my review with big boss one day telling him that I don't have time for a dozen projects. He says that what he does ... he works on many projects at once. I reminded him that he as several dozen people that work for him and that I'm just me, no one works for me.



    It started to sink in.



    Now I just do the whole "okay I finished X and Y do you want Z next or A?"



    Yep that is another problem with my idiot boss. He thinks a task takes 10-times (literally) less than what it actually takes. Even people who have been around him for years and years sometimes get amazed at the level of cluelessness. Result: now I just do a piece of crap job to get it done in half the time and take my name out of the credits list. I am currently looking for another job.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post


    My boss couldn't get another job if he wanted to. His work is basically getting taking taxpayer money and generating garbage research that never went anywhere for over 20 years. He gets paid a ridiculous sum of money yet he wouldn't last 2 weeks in my graduate school. He is failure itself.



    Is your boss also an idiot?



    Yes!



    (I am self-employed)
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post


    Yep that is another problem with my idiot boss. He thinks a task takes 10-times (literally) less than what it actually takes. Even people who have been around him for years and years sometimes get amazed at the level of cluelessness. Result: now I just do a piece of crap job to get it done in half the time and take my name out of the credits list. I am currently looking for another job.



    Yea so am I. I'm also in the hole of the new guy that they hired gets paid a whole lot more and is basically incompetent. They did that to justify increase salaries for everyone else. But they are dragging their feet going to the VP for more money. And they are so fucking clueless as to how much damage this does to morale. Even if they came through with a pay increase the damage is done. In my mind they are unethical liars.



    I plan on leaving and working for different unethical liars for more money.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    For me, I don't expect a boss to be perfect - but one quality I like in a boss is a reason as to why they got the job; the feeling that, "hey, the guy I'm working for is there because he has the right qualities for the job". When one starts to question how on earth one boss got the job - it is the beginning of the end.



    * Guy being male or female.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post


    For me, I don't expect a boss to be perfect - but one quality I like in a boss is a reason as to why they got the job; the feeling that, "hey, the guy I'm working for is there because he has the right qualities for the job". When one starts to question how on earth one boss got the job - it is the beginning of the end.



    * Guy being male or female.



    I know why my boss got the job: he bought part of the company and he is hyperactive. Problem is he is highly inefficient. One could get twice done if only he were a little smarter.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post


    I know why my boss got the job: he bought part of the company and he is hyperactive. Problem is he is highly inefficient. One could get twice done if only he were a little smarter.



    Been in a similar situation - managers who think that flapping their hands about and hyperventilating thinking that outward signs of stress show that they're 'on the ball'. The same place, people couldn't work out how things got done in my department without the theatrics, as I said, I focus on getting things done rather than getting all excited as the other managers do.



    Then again, given that I have a emotionless face - it helps disguise that I'm like a duck; calm on the surface but paddling furiously under the water.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    This month (Nov) and next month (Dec) I am my own boss. It's the revenue that's going to be challenging.



    Yes, many bosses are assholes. I'm suprised with almost half the responders having good bosses. That's a lot higher than the "average" population, I think.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Recently in the past few years I too have begun to notice the crappier managers are much more active than "normal" people. But what they do with that activity is sub-par.



    There must be some management theory thing on why this is the case? Why do bad managers tend to be like this and how do they become and stay, and get promoted as managers?



    How does hyperactivity become more valued in an organisation as opposed to competence?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post


    I know why my boss got the job: he bought part of the company and he is hyperactive. Problem is he is highly inefficient. One could get twice done if only he were a little smarter.



  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by progmac View Post


    I like my boss. I can't say she does everything as I would, but she is good to work for and recognizes good work and treats the employees well. No complaints.



    Have we had better female bosses or male bosses? Ah, that's an interesting question, no? Anyone?
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Better male bosses.



    Both female bosses I had were absolutely horrible.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    I've had good and bad bosses, smart and dumb bosses. Interestingly, smart bosses are not always good bosses, and dumb bosses are not always bad bosses. Most of the bosses I've had who are bad bosses, I chalk up to the Dilbert principle; that is, they are propelled into their positions ass backward for one of many reasons. Often, I can't blame the bad boss himself. Really, it's the system of seniority that's to blame, because it so often takes people out of roles where they excel and puts them in roles where they flounder, merely on the grounds of a departing predecessor. It's bad or lazy HR policy that makes bad bosses.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post


    I've had good and bad bosses, smart and dumb bosses. Interestingly, smart bosses are not always good bosses, and dumb bosses are not always bad bosses. Most of the bosses I've had who are bad bosses, I chalk up to the Dilbert principle; that is, they are propelled into their positions ass backward for one of many reasons. Often, I can't blame the bad boss himself. Really, it's the system of seniority that's to blame, because it so often takes people out of roles where they excel and puts them in roles where they flounder, merely on the grounds of a departing predecessor. It's bad or lazy HR policy that makes bad bosses.



    Very very true indeed.
Sign In or Register to comment.