Apple now taking orders for 24-inch LED Cinema Display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I would pay twice that if the resolution were 2560x1600 and the monitor were still 24".

for a higher-end consumer display, I would think that we need RI before that becomes feasible.
  • Reply 22 of 129
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Interseting how people continuously compare Apple product to others that are either not the same or does accomplish the same task. To say it's better or cheaper but completely miss the point of the Apple product.
  • Reply 23 of 129
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I just looked. As far as I can see the connecting cable comes with the monitor. Where do you see it for $29.

Apple store re: 24" ACD -

What's in the Box:

LED Cinema Display

AC power cord

Cleaning cloth

Printed documentation

No mention of DisplayPort cables
  • Reply 24 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

What's in the Box:

LED Cinema Display

AC power cord

Cleaning cloth

Printed documentation

They only list the seperate items. The DP, USB, MagSafe power cable combo is attached to the monitor.
  • Reply 25 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Eizo 19 inch maybe

Eizo S2431WH-BK: 865€ (incl. ambient light sensor, speakers etc.)

Apple Cinema Display: 849€

Welcome to Germany.
  • Reply 26 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawadde View Post

I had misread the LED dimensions

but lets forget about the LED 24" for a second, and look at the ordinary 20" mac, which goes for $599. Can you claim this price just, compared to the $260 20" dell ultrasharp, which is (i repeat myself) a really really good monitor, quality-wise ?

Even the 24" ultrasharp dell is cheaper, and of stunning image quality too. Honestly : me and my boss did a comparision by putting the 30" cinema next to my 24" dell, and they were equally vibrant, bright & crisp.

to top it off : if you buy a man $599 mini, you can NOT buy an apple monitor cheaper than your brand new computer. How ridiculous is that ?

Dell's Ultrasharp was great monitors - until the latest models now using TN panels.

Some people (including me) are actually looking for older models Ultrasharp. The current line is no better than their E-series. The only difference is the additional ports.

The only exception is the 30" Ultrasharp, which still uses S-IPS panel. That's the one I want to get (before they change to TN, like the rest of the line).

By the way, I have three Ultrasharp's - a 18", 20" 4x3, and a 20" wide. All were bought at $400 to $500 range. All well worth the price. I have changed many computers, but the monitors stay. A good quality monitor is well worth the price. And no, I don't mind the monitor costing more than the computer itself.

I would rather pay $500 for the 20" S-IPS Ultrasharp (older model) than $200 for the TN (current model) ones.

By the way, the difference between panels is well discussed among PC users. I am a little surprised that it seems PC users know more/care more about quality than some Mac users.
  • Reply 27 of 129
    Quote:

I just looked. As far as I can see the connecting cable comes with the monitor. Where do you see it for $29.

This is where I saw the $29 cable. My error. It evidently refers to using a third party monitor: http://bitguru.wordpress.com/2008/10...i-displayport/

The downside? Mini-DisplayPort is presumably signal-compatible with standard DisplayPort, which ?is the future? but hasn?t really caught on yet. This will likely be a win in the long term, but it?s not signal-compatible with DVI or HMDI (nor VGA, for that matter). DisplayPort implementations are permitted to pass DVI-compatible signals through the connector, and presumably this is what Apple has done, at least for single-link DVI.

Apple?s $29 Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter supports single-link DVI. To exceed 1920×1200 requires the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter, priced at a whopping $99. Presumably the dual-link adapter has circuitry that actually converts the DisplayPort signals, which is why it requires USB power. (There is also a $29 Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter.)
  • Reply 28 of 129
    Already got my order in for 2

• Reply 29 of 129
    All these comparisons are not relevant. None of the suggested alternatives quoted in this thread have mini displayport connections (unique to Apple?) and that for oh so many Apple owners (i.e. those without Mac Book Pros) is important. I have a Mac Pro I cannot use the 24" LED monitor because of this. If anyone says that there will be new Mac Pros with revised Video output or there will a new graphics card has totally missed the point. Why should I have to buy a new Mac Pro or a new graphics card (I have the x1900XT card) what does all that add to the cost of the monitor? Also if an adaptor was possible surely Apple would have offered one from the launch date.
  • Reply 30 of 129
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

What's in the Box:

LED Cinema Display

AC power cord

Cleaning cloth

Printed documentation

So you assume the connector does not come with the monitor and make up a price.
  • Reply 31 of 129
    And if your going to connect it to a Macbook pro what does it matter if it has a isight camera ? that would mean you have two ..

And aren't the rest of the apple monitor lineup really just Samsung inside?

I can get a 24 inch Samsung @ Costco that is also a T.V. for 399.oo THAT's HALF PRICE

Samsung

24" LCD HDTV Monitor

Touch of Color Series

Resolution: 1920 x 1200

Contrast: 1000:1

Brightness: 300 cd/m2

AND it has

Inputs/Outputs:

HDMI x 2

Component x 1

DVI x 1

D-sub (15)

RGB x 1

Optical Digital Sound Out (SPDIF)

so I can watch Blue Ray ...later if I want.. WITHOUT having to buy an adaptor ..

what are the downsides of this... half-price .. ?
  • Reply 32 of 129
    Quote:

So you assume the connector does not come with the monitor and make up a price.

Don't be so quick to pounce. You didn't read post #29.
  • Reply 33 of 129
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fotomat View Post

And if your going to connect it to a Macbook pro what does it matter if it has a isight camera ? that would mean you have two ..

I'm viewing your message on an external 20" monitor connected to my MBP which is closed. I'd love it if it had an iSight built-in. I feel lucky just to have built-in speakers on this particular monitor.

Quote:

And aren't the rest of the apple monitor lineup really just Samsung inside?

If it's Sony, it's Samsung. Don't know about Apple, but Samsung surely makes panels using different technologies and to different quality standards. Even if it was Samsung, that doesn't mean the image is competitive with what Apple is selling.

Quote:

I can get a 24 inch Samsung @ Costco that is also a T.V. for 399.oo THAT's HALF PRICE

I can tell you from first-hand experience that the image on a Costco cheapie Samsung monitor looks somewhat less appealing than on an Apple Cinema display, particularly at off-angles, but when viewing video the Samsung looks simply awful. I had to return it.
  • Reply 34 of 129
    Quote:

what are the downsides of this... half-price .. ?

Oh, I don't know... important things like the quality of the panel? Apple's monitors are reasonably priced compared to other monitors using the S-IPS panels. Whether that's worth the price difference is for you to decide. For me it is.
  • Reply 35 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I'm viewing your message on an external 20" monitor connected to my MBP which is closed. I'd love it if it had an iSight built-in. I feel lucky just to have built-in speakers on this particular monitor.

we are talking about 24 inch monitors here not 20 inch and the speakers are a non-issue.. really who relies on the speakers in a flat panel anyway?

If it's Sony, it's Samsung. Don't know about Apple, but Samsung surely makes panels using different technologies and to different quality standards. Even if it was Samsung, that doesn't mean the image is competitive with what Apple is selling.

maybe so but others here are comparing it to dell so I would think coming from Samsung it would be closer in quality than something from dell..

I can tell you from first-hand experience that the image on a Costco cheapie Samsung monitor looks somewhat less appealing than on an Apple Cinema display, particularly at off-angles, but when viewing video the Samsung looks simply awful. I had to return it.

...so if it's half price it's considered a 'cheapie' ??

....not a good argument

give me some real facts that make this Apple monitor TWICE as better than a Samsung 'cheapie'
  • Reply 36 of 129
    Quote:

...so if it's half price it's considered a 'cheapie' ??

....not a good argument

give me some real facts that make this Apple monitor TWICE as better than a Samsung 'cheapie'

learn about display technologies, fool.
  • Reply 37 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zauner View Post

Eizo S2431WH-BK: 865? (incl. ambient light sensor, speakers etc.)

Apple Cinema Display: 849?

Welcome to Germany.

More precisely than "in Germany," where does one find that kind of price for that Eizo? For a similar model, I see almost $1400 in the U.S. at a discount house. The Apple price is retail and, since it's new on the market, the Apple will be difficult to find discounted.
  • Reply 38 of 129
    the blindness of the fanboys will always haunt these boards... it's just plain impossible to reason with them logically.
  • Reply 39 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

the blindness of the fanboys will always haunt these boards...

Well, I'm not blind. The Samsung cheapie monitor sold at Costco, at all angles and for all purposes (text, graphics and video), clearly displayed an inferior image compared to Apple Cinema displays. The video quality was so much of a disappointment--almost nausea inducing--that I had to return it.
  • Reply 40 of 129
    In searching for an alternative to the glass-covered new 24", came across a new Eizo 24" LED back-lit monitor (matte screen - also touts energy-saving) .

The Eizo specs seem the same as 'known' specs of the new Apple unit. Anyone know if the panel mfg is the same?

http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/ev2411w/index.asp

Supposed to cost about $700 w/ 5-yr warranty.

Also very-much like the HP LP2465w (H-IPS) 24" (matte), 3yr warranty $574.00

http://www.provantage.com/hewlett-pa...a~7CMPK0P6.htm