Wal-Mart to begin selling iPhone post holidays - reports

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    The one thing Apple nor anyone else has addressed is WHAT iPhone?!

The iPhone is due for an upgrade in member size to 32 MB or more. They need to start selling off their inventory before MacWorld so they can get rid of the first wave of the second generation of instruments! NOW it makes sense, no?! This is called tiered/timed marketing and it works nicely when you take time. Apple now has time which it didn't do with the first generation iPhones. In fact, many of the first gen people have not upgraded and are waiting to see what new software AND new featured the second wave of the second gen has. Will Apple surprise with a third gen at MacWorld? Don't be so sure they won't.

To sell at Wal-Mart or Costco or any other discounter you have to have something to mark down and dump out.

Something new is coming. Watch for it!http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
  • Reply 22 of 26
    I would really like to get two iPhones but have no use for the required data plans, 60 dollars extra. Does anyone have any clue when Apple might allow this?
  • Reply 23 of 26
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post

Not sure how I like this as a stockholder. I see this as a let down in 1) who is going to drop $200 to $300 (or a bit less) on a iPhone when the news is that Wal-Mart is selling the necessity items to those that are in the sinking boat of financial trouble? 2) Look at the folks that visit Wal-Mart ( no offense intended here and no I do not shop Wal-Mart) and those that visit an Apple store. I see a different cliental. My point is, is Apple just trying to reach all that it can and forgo the prestige and sit along side the $500 Dell computers and dusty Zune players just to get the masses to buy an iPhone? Sounds like a bunch of bandwagon folks are fixing to jump on the Apple bandwagon and make Apple look like it's selling second hand products. Also, and I believe some else mentioned this, but as soon as this happen the stock will tank on the notion that a product like the iPhone is now available at your local Wal-Mart. This kinda makes me sick knowing they are sleeping with Wal-Mart. Best Buy I can understand. I mean at least they know what a iPhone looks like...

Dang it!

That's the elitist attitude that gave us a bad rep to begin with. It's about market share. It's about survival. It's about reaching out to those walmart 'types' who don't know squat about Apple. As a shareholder, I think this is awesome. It's about product and product availability, not about status anymore, it's about just selling a great product to whomever wants to buy it.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KidRed View Post

That's the elitist attitude that gave us a bad rep to begin with. It's about market share. It's about survival. It's about reaching out to those walmart 'types' who don't know squat about Apple. As a shareholder, I think this is awesome. It's about product and product availability, not about status anymore, it's about just selling a great product to whomever wants to buy it.

Still it looks like a soft sell out. And what's attitude do you speak of? Not sharing the "apple knowledge" with everyone else that wants to be a player? Lead, follow or move over buster! Look I'm all for market share, but survival is not a issue with apple right now and you are right that "some" of the folks that shop at Wal-Mart don't know diddly about apple and I expect that too continue even if apple puts this kind of technology in Wal-Mart. It like selling a new BMW at a Kia dealer. Just doesn't make sense in thinking that someone goes to a Kia dealership and thinks they can walk out with a $30,000.00 BMW. Profit to margin is what I look at and if there is many a iPhones on the shelves at Wal-Mart NOT selling what does that do to the supply and demand and to the stock? I don't want to even think about it. I do think it is about status. Like I said, Wal-Mart is good for folks (anyone for that matter) in selling the necessities in our troubled times right now but for them to place this impressive piece of technology in this joint, just makes me feel a little less important to apple. Just my take... Thanks for the feedback. Keeps the mind sharp!
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

I agree.

the original announcements were mid Nov. so the issue might be the internal support needed to make it happen. cause you can bet your butt that ATT ain't gotta let them sell without activation and a contract and that could mean updating computer systems etc.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hledgard View Post

I would really like to get two iPhones but have no use for the required data plans, 60 dollars extra. Does anyone have any clue when Apple might allow this?

sure. when the contract with ATT is fulfilled.

when will that be. who the heck knows. it's probably a time v money issue. as in X years or when ATT has gotten back their initial investment plus predecided profit. and those numbers would be kept under tight wraps.