Apple releases iTunes 8.0.2 ahead of iPhone software 2.2

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday evening released iTunes 8.0.2, the latest maintenance update for its digital media software that addresses a couple of minor issues and improves accessibility for users with impaired vision.

Specifically, the new version is said to address a quality issue when creating MP3s on some computers and fix a connectivity issue with the iTunes Store when using some Internet proxies with Mac OS X.

iTunes 8.0.2 also improves accessibility with VoiceOver, an Apple-developed technology that aids visually impaired users by reading aloud the contents of files while providing a rich set of keyboard commands for navigation and comprehensive audible descriptions of the present workspace.

The 60.3MB update, which is available through Apple's iTunes site or via software update, arrives amid mounting evidence that Apple could be preparing to release the next software update for the iPhone -- version 2.2 -- as early as tomorrow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 60.3MB update, which is available through Apple's iTunes site or via software update, arrives amid mounting evidence that Apple could be preparing to release the next software update for the iPhone -- version 2.2 -- as early as tomorrow.

This makes me think that it will be released tomorrow. That v2.2 will be dependent upon iTunes 8.0.2, which makes me think there are aspects that speed up the transfer and/or prevent jailbreaking apps from utilizing iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I hope we get improved Voice Call quality and better Saferi
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Will it stop my iMac from crashing when I scroll in iTunes?
  • Reply 4 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

...and better Saferi

That is so overdue. It was great in all the 1.1.x versions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmizerek View Post

That sucks! I have found iTunes 8 to be the most stable iTunes build I've encountered from Apple in as long as I can remember.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    The 2.2 is already on apple server for itunes and (download) wait till 9am and it will be released unless I was drunk today at the meeting lol
  • Reply 6 of 33
    And no there is not going to be any Copy Paste at least not that I found...
  • Reply 7 of 33
    iPhone 2.2 and ipod touch is ready for download

see

http://www.livecrunch.com/2008/11/21...-for-download/

I will provide direct links in about 20 minutes for direct downloads in case you have ipod touch 1.1.5
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmizerek View Post

Ever thought that when you're the only one experiencing it that maybe there is something wrong with your installation/setup?
  • Reply 9 of 33
    I'm already downloading iPhone 2.2.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    One of the fixes listed is the frequency of dropped calls is less. Can ANYONE verify this?
  • Reply 11 of 33
    I hope Apple has fixed the bugging airtunes issue when haveng network transfer.

My airtunes audio stops playing during downloading ir when time machine is running - that's so annoying.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    I just posted direct upgrade link for ipod touch 2.2 firmware just in case some1 wants to upgrade from 1.1.4 or 1.1.5

~Livecrunch
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Couple of new things (at any rate, I hadn't noticed them before):

(1) progress bar when restoring iPhone

(2) ability to use iPhone normally whilst syncing (hallelujah)

and I'm discovering more... seems like Apple really focused on the detail in this release. Good.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    One of things I hope they will fix is playlist and podcast syncing to iPods.

I mostly use my iPod to listen to podcasts. I subscribe to dozens of them, and every day I have at least a full day worth of new shows to listen to at work. For years, I would set my iPod preferences to automatically sync the last 5 unplayed episodes of only the podcasts I have selected in the preferences panel. This serves me well for two reasons. First, my iTunes library is over 250GB, so it won't all fit on any iPod, but also, it keeps my podcast menu clean. I can just press play, and know that I have not heard anything that will come up.

Ever since iTunes 7.7, that doesn't work any more. I now have to manually manage the copying of content to my iPod, otherwise it will try to sync everything and I'll run out of room. The only thing even close to a workaround that I've been able to come up with is to uncheck the individual tracks of the stuff I don't want before I plug the iPod in. It's annoying, and really takes away from what I felt was one of the iPod's great user experiences.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    No keyboard lag at all. And the keyboard doesn't seem to affect/crash safari anymore!!! Thank god! Everything pops onscreen so much faster now.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

No keyboard lag at all. And the keyboard doesn't seem to affect/crash safari anymore!!! Thank god! Everything pops onscreen so much faster now.

Would you say it's snappier now?
  • Reply 17 of 33
    i really hope they have fixed it... fingers crossed...
  • Reply 18 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'm already downloading 2.2 myself, but I'm jailbroke so I'm NOT downloading new iTunes. I hope this works XX
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This makes me think that it will be released tomorrow. That v2.2 will be dependent upon iTunes 8.0.2, which makes me think there are aspects that speed up the transfer and/or prevent jailbreaking apps from utilizing iTunes.

I downloaded both. iTunes works as normal but the update for the iPhone is useless as far as the Podcasts are concerned.

My normal podcasts are well over the paltry 10 megs that Apple allows over GSM. It seems that AT&T's crappy network it the cause of Apple screwed up policies. Just another step in getting rid of the iPhone. What a waste.

By the way, you are right about the jailbreaking stuff.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ireland View Post

i'm already downloading 2.2 myself, but i'm jailbroke so i'm not downloading new itunes. I hope this works xx

woot, my plan worked!!