Apple lays claim to greenest notebooks ever in new ad campaign

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Not one for modesty, Apple on Monday night launched a new campaign and TV spot touting its new aluminum MacBook lineup as the most environmentally friendly portables ever.

The freshly posted campaign page backs up the confident stance by centering on the unibody aluminum and glass displays of the MacBook designs, which together cut down on the number of parts and are easy to recycle versus the plastic and other materials used by rivals.

It also touts the elimination of brominated flame retardants and PVC from the insides of all three models, better power management that includes the LED-backlit displays, and the smaller packaging that lets Apple ship and store more units in a single space than earlier models as well as competitors.

A new TV ad, posted below, not only marks the start of a public campaign to promote the systems under their new green role but also Apple's first commercial for the new MacBooks outside of the minutes-long promo video found on its own website.

The new initiative continues a green turnaround for Apple, which has been the target of Greenpeace and other environmental groups for historically neglecting the eco-friendliness of its products, with gradual improvements to Apple's manufacturing process often accompanied by criticisms and threatened lawsuits. Company chief Steve Jobs has promised to clean virtually all toxic materials from Apple's hardware by the end of 2008 but hasn't yet signaled that it has achieved this goal.

Even so, a marker of progress made has been Greenpeace's recent response to the new MacBooks, which praised Apple for its new portables but is urging the electronics firm to finish the job with its desktops.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I'd rather have a matte or semi-matte screen laptop any day over a glossy glare reflecting laptop -and I don't care how environmentally unfriendly it is. I mean really- how more dangerous could that be over a car, boat or spaceship?
  • Reply 2 of 73
    This advertising approach is going to be, imho, one of the important contributors to the long-term (upward) movement of Apple's stock price over the next decade. Apple is light years ahead of its competition on this front.

If they can stick with the theme, and be credible about it.

(JSYK, I am no tree-hugger.)
  • Reply 3 of 73
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This advertising approach is going to be, imho, one of the important contributors to the long-term (upward) movement of Apple's stock price over the next decade. Apple is light years ahead of its competition on this front.

If they can stick with the theme, and be credible about it.

(JSYK, I am no tree-hugger.)

Sorry- environmentally friendly is not necessarily state-of -the art. What's good for Al Gore is not particularly good in the real world- especially those Leopard folders that look like recycled paper- whatever!
  • Reply 4 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Sorry- environmentally friendly is not necessarily state-of -the art. What's good for Al Gore is not particularly good in the real world- especially those Leopard folders that look like recycled paper- whatever!

But in the new world, environmentally friendly *is* the new "state-of-the-art."

This advertisement however, is just a standard (but smart) move in the economic climate we find ourselves in. Now is the time to advertise just a little bit more than usual to ensure that no one forgets about your virtues.

It doesn't hurt that the ad positions the product as exactly that kind of product that you *should* be purchasing in today's energy and environmentally conscious world, nor that it conveys a piece of that miraculous future that awaits us once we get through these tough times.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    bjkbjk Posts: 34member
    Does this mean that the trash icon will be replaced with a recycle bin in my dock?
  • Reply 6 of 73
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BjK View Post

Does this mean that the trash icon will be replaced with a recycle bin in my dock?

Yes, it does.

Now what are you going to do?
  • Reply 7 of 73
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

The new initiative continues a green turnaround for Apple, which has been the target of Greenpeace and other environmental groups for historically neglecting the eco-friendliness of its products

Bull. Greenpeace create a scale in which the actual eco-friendliness of a company's products is overwhelmed by what the company publicly promises to do in the future. So despite Apple always consistently being one of the most environmentally friendly computer companies in the world. Greenpeace gave them low marks because they didn't make promises about the future while other companies did. Of course, Apple went and implemented environmentally friendly practices faster than the other companies that made those promises, but Greenpeace seems to value promises more than action.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    Quote:

I'd rather have a matte or semi-matte screen laptop any day over a glossy glare reflecting laptop -and I don't care how environmentally unfriendly it is. I mean really- how more dangerous could that be over a car, boat or spaceship?

I totally disagree about the glossy screen. It is beautiful. You hardly notice any reflection or glare, even when there is any.
  • Reply 9 of 73
    They need to focus on making this computer the most useful ever by giving some goddamn adapters for this ridiculous miniDisplayPort. Like miniDP to HDMI! Both carry sound, but right now I have to use a mini-DP to DVI adapter, and a DVI-to-HDMI adapter. DVI doesn't carry audio, so have to use an entirely separate port. How do you sell a computer without preparing all of the adapters to your proprietary BS in advance?!
  • Reply 10 of 73
    i love the environment and think we should do more to protect it, but whining about minute amounts of toxic chemicals in consumer electronics (and of all companies apple) is ridiculous.

eff greenpeace!

go save the whales, reduce deforestation, curb the effect of invasive species, remove plastics from the ocean.......

they're nothing but a bunch of delusional left-wingers who care much more about their image than our environment. if anybody really feels guilty about buying a computer they can even it out by not using plastic bags for their groceries for a week.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

In general, people always hated something about laptop screens. It used to be the narrow viewing angle, the easy to scratch matte screen, and now the glossiness. I have to tell you this though, my new MacBook Pro screen reflection is far less than my wife's white MacBook (both have glossy displays). I was worried about what people were saying about glossy screen but now I would choose glossy over matte anytime.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    Quote:

So I take it you don't recycle? All your cardboard boxes, beer cans, plastic bottles, grocery bags, magazines, and glass bottles go in the trash?
  • Reply 13 of 73
    So is this the first advertisement where Apple hasn't used the hideous black & purple space desktop? I hope this is a new trend...I think the grass desktop is the best Apple desktop in Leopard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macd-to-death View Post

They need to focus on making this computer the most useful ever by giving some damn adapters for this ridiculous miniDisplayPort. Like miniDP to HDMI! Both carry sound, but right now I have to use a mini-DP to DVI adapter, and a DVI-to-HDMI adapter. DVI doesn't carry audio, so have to use an entirely separate port. How do you sell a computer without preparing all of the adapters to your proprietary BS in advance?!

I agree!! And why don't they include these damn things instead of charging you $30 apiece? My MBP came with a remote and a DVI-VGA adapter. Not just that, but I could even go out and buy adapters and cords cheap with DVI (my 6' DVI-HDMI cable was $20)! Now that they've changed to a proprietary interface, you're stuck with Apple's pricy adapters. After spending $1299+, we can't even get an adapter in the box...let alone no adapters at all (for some interfaces)!?!?!?!?!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

I love the environment and think we should do more to protect it, but whining about minute amounts of toxic chemicals in consumer electronics (and of all companies apple) is ridiculous.

eff greenpeace!

go save the whales, reduce deforestation, curb the effect of invasive species, remove plastics from the ocean.......

they're nothing but a bunch of delusional left-wingers who care much more about their image than our environment. if anybody really feels guilty about buying a computer they can even it out by not using plastic bags for their groceries for a week.

Not so sure about what I've bolded, but c'mon Greenpeace...there's WAY bigger problems to b---- about!!! We're supposed to go broke with all these higher prices for "green" energy and hybrid cars and whatnot...it is estimated that China will offset 20 years of the EU's proposed "carbon credit" system in just 8 months. Go b---- at China and the rest of the third world factories about pollution and hazardous chemicals...we seem to be doing a much better job than they are! I swear, these people are like radical Islam....it's our way or f--- you no matter how much you try to compromise!!!!!
  • Reply 14 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

So I take it you don't recycle? All your cardboard boxes, beer cans, plastic bottles, grocery bags, magazines, and glass bottles go in the trash?

Oh, I see what you did there. The chain on the tree around your waste. I see it.

It is important to recycle, I guess, but think about those gas guzzling diesel piles of crap that pick up your recyclable material. The machines that run to get your crap recycled. OH and the part where you put your recyclables in a PLASTIC bin. I laughed a little there.

I'm open to counter arguments. Go on. It doesn't mean I'll reply, but I do like to read.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

How much more environmentally-friendly and recyclable are these compared with the previous models? I don't think there's a drastic difference. I recycle my paper and cans and plastics bottles...but I don't drive a hybrid or care about minute differences in the recyclability of a laptop! I'd take a model with matte over glossy any day...a Mac doesn't get recycled or thrown in the trash, it gets sold on eBay for at least $100 no matter how old, broken, or non-functioning it is! What do you have to say about me?
  • Reply 16 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anilsudhakaran View Post

I totally disagree about the glossy screen. It is beautiful. You hardly notice any reflection or glare, even when there is any.

then you totally don't use your computer for any sort of professional visual arts work. the glass/glossy screens are an absolute abomination, and while I commend apple for their move towards "green," they need to think twice about taking away matte screens from us professionals who NEED them. the move to all-glass notebook screens is complete bullshit, and that's why I bought a refurbished 2.6ghz 15" macbook pro to hold me over for the next few years until they bring back the damn matte screens.

[/rant]
  • Reply 17 of 73
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BjK View Post

No it will be replaced with 4 bins and you have to put the right stuff in each one. Just one wrong item will prevent you from emptying them.

Generally, recycling is little more than another marketing angle. It can't hurt for people to do it but Apple have so little marketshare, the impact is minimal. What it does is increase costs same as printing on recyclable paper.

I'm not entirely sure how a computer gets recycled to be honest. I've seen computers from 10 years ago still in use so where is the point someone takes it to be recycled? Judging by the build quality of the Macbook line, I reckon they won't be getting recycled for a good few years.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    wow . . does anyone actually care about the enviroment other than green peace??!

especially in america, the land on the SUV . . .
  • Reply 19 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

No it will be replaced with 4 bins and you have to put the right stuff in each one. Just one wrong item will prevent you from emptying them.

Generally, recycling is little more than another marketing angle. It can't hurt for people to do it but Apple have so little marketshare, the impact is minimal. What it does is increase costs same as printing on recyclable paper.

I'm not entirely sure how a computer gets recycled to be honest. I've seen computers from 10 years ago still in use so where is the point someone takes it to be recycled? Judging by the build quality of the Macbook line, I reckon they won't be getting recycled for a good few years.

well a good place to start finding out is here in wiki

a notable point is the quote that "Electronic waste represents 2 percent of America's trash in landfills, but it equals 70 percent of overall toxic waste."

and this: "In the United States, an estimated 70% of heavy metals in landfills come from discarded electronics."

agreed that if a machine is built better it'll last longer before being recycled, and that recycling is the last action in the environmental push (materials selection and reduction of materials use should come first)

...but anyone who thinks recycling doesn't matter has obviously been living a little too long

near one of the aforementioned landfills (on top in the case of some housing estates)

and has lost a few brain cells in the process \
  • Reply 20 of 73
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:

Well then please, buy one of those light dispersing anti reflection films to cover your screen and quit whining. Or move to Dell, whatever.