iPhone 2.2 hides video out code for third-party apps

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An unpublished part of iPhone's latest programming framework lets third-party developers pipe video out to an external device, albeit not without a few catches.

Confirmed by Ars Technica, a programming class in the iPhone SDK known as MPTVOutWindow does essentially what its name implies: it sends video out through the Dock Connector port to an outside source, such as an external screen.

The adaptation is primarily meant for movies but allows any program to export the current contents of the screen, theoretically allowing apps intended for screens larger than the 3.5-inch iPhone LCD.

After testing, however, well-known iPhone developer Erica Sadun notes that touch input is disabled in this mode with current implementations and so prevents using the iPhone as a regular controller for games or presentations. It does recognize accelerometer input for a basic level of control.

The code writer also observes that the programming call appears designed for the phone's landscape view rather than the upright portrait mode for most iPhone apps, forcing developers eager to use the new mode to adjust for the realignment.

But while these limitations have already been discovered, developers have already written basic code and plan to explore the MPTVOutWindow function more in the near future to see what it will do; an example of this is provided below.

iPhone Video Out from Ars Technica on Vimeo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It is like the Apple TV, the hardware just keeps getting new abilities ... a new phenomenon for hardware!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    iPhone Wii!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    In Jobs' MWSF keynote in January 2007, the iPhone was shown to support video out, in both portrait and landscape mode, and simultaneous touch input.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This is an API for third party apps to use video out. Before that only Apple could use the video out for its in house apps.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This is an API for third party apps to use video out. Before that only Apple could use the video out for its in house apps.

It sounds like it's almost completely undocumented, if it is for developer access, it's probably not ready yet.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It sounds like it's almost completely undocumented, if it is for developer access, it's probably not ready yet.

Yes it sounds like it isn't quite ready yet. I was just pointing out that the iPhone was always capable of video out, there just was no API to make it accessible to developers.

Would be interesting if it will be able to to send a video game to a television with the controls and accelerator working on the iPhones screen.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    So what other new unreported code was in 2.2? New in ear headphone support?

That would be nice!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Aggg Apple needs to stop. Are they gonna make iPhone control everything including our souls?

=)

This can open a whole new window in future gaming.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

In Jobs' MWSF keynote in January 2007, the iPhone was shown to support video out, in both portrait and landscape mode, and simultaneous touch input.

Supposedly, that was a demo model with a video-out card wedged in. Or perhaps not..
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

iPhone Wii!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Would be interesting if it will be able to to send a video game to a television with the controls and accelerator working on the iPhones screen.

Hmmm your iPhone/iPod touch as a controller a WiFi link to an aTV as the video processor and display on your TV....
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I'm not too excited about this and I'm not expecting it to turn into anything useful. Call me a pessimist, but I just don't give a crap.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danistyping View Post

I'm not too excited about this and I'm not expecting it to turn into anything useful. Call me a pessimist, but I just don't give a crap.

Yet you gave a crap enough to feel the need to post an irrelevant comment. You do care, you just haven't realised yet and are also very narrow-minded, judging by your comment.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I'm just hoping it will allow for a GPS type program to be displayed on an external screen! That would make carputer installations so much nicer...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    THINK ABOUT THIS: the ultimate Apple Keynote and Microsoft PowerPoint presentation remote. Computerless. WOW!!!